Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
Can I chuck that splash screen? (and first impressions)

Hi Members:
I've had the Cybook Gen3 for 3 days now: here are some first impressions;
on the whole, I like it a lot and think it's incredible, but a few things do seem annoying.

1) The Introductory Splash Screen:
I've always liked to see what I want to load, display etc on all gadgets, not what some company thinks I ought to like. Already that splash of their selection of books with Bill Clinton's mug grinning out at me is rankling.

2) The Print Quality looks wonderful, but the page turning (after reading 300 pages) still seems rather weird. I assume it will lessen and/or I'll just get used to it.Just one of those thing.

3) Page Numbers.
Astonishingly I can go to any page I mention, but there is nothing to tell me which page I'm on when I get there! On my Palm, when I tried ebooks a couple of years ago, I could see page numbers. I realise that this will vary according to print size etc, but it's really ingrained in me to see page numbers, and I miss it a lot.

4)
Page turning
seems weird. After a natural type of print, it seems peculiar. Am having a visit from an author friend next week. he uses technology with reluctance, and is doubtful he'll ever take to an ebook. I wonder what he will say.

These points notwithstanding, it is really wonderful to have the ability to carry such a volume of literature around with me.... and to read it almost anywhere...

Regards
John

PS: When I demonstrate the device to my friend, I'll have to boot it when he can't see it, or I'll be bound to get some embarrassing remark from him about about my reading selection... so to revert to the subject of the post, something, anything other than the existing flash screen would be very welcome.
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I also would LOVE to have a custom splash screen! However, Cybook hasn't provided a way to replace the splash screen yet. I asked them about it last year and the response was:
Quote:
"no plans at this time, but it has been asked for often so it may be included in a future firmware release."
Since Cybook has not released the information/code needed for 3rd party updates to be created I don't see this being an option in the near future if at all.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 03:11 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just keep the cover closed until it's got past the splash screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Ha!
I would call that a great "low tech" solution!
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andavane View Post
4) Page turning seems weird.
I'm just curious, what is weird about the page turning? I've never seen a cybook, so I don't have any perspective.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
By default the Cybook inverts the screen before changing a page.
That way it appears to flash on every pageturn, but improves the quality of the newly displayed page (text looks a lot sharper when the option is enabled, but it can be turned off)

That "flashing" is a bit disturbing at the beginning but I got used to it pretty fast and now I even miss it when it's disabled.

Edit: The effect is clearly visible on bookeens demo-video:

Last edited by Pulp; 02-13-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #7
andavane
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
I'm just curious, what is weird about the page turning? I've never seen a cybook, so I don't have any perspective.
Oh, it was just the way it appeared to melt and then re-form; it didn't seem much like a reading experience, but reading subsequent posts I see this is something to do with improving the quality of the text -- and the text quality is excellent.

It's certainly a nice piece. Shame about the luck of stuff you can get for it.

I believe that you can get almost any text an turn it into an ebook yourself... ?

It's all fine, but some people have asked me how much time spent in actual reading, and how much time is spent in fiddling about with the technology of reading... A good question!

Kind regards,

John
Old 02-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
Quote:
Oh, it was just the way it appeared to melt and then re-form; it didn't seem much like a reading experience
This happens when "flash"-refresh is disabled, personally I don't like it that way because the flashing gives the impression that the page "is turned" and that something is happening, when it is turned off I sometimes get the feeling I have to "re-check" it the page really was turned because I missed the process
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:21 PM   #9
glynes
glynes has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.glynes has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.glynes has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
It's all fine, but some people have asked me how much time spent in actual reading, and how much time is spent in fiddling about with the technology of reading... A good question!
That is an excellent question! Having just gotten my Gen 3 yesterday, I'm very high on the 'fiddling' end of the scale. I'm hoping I can get a handle on the technology soon, so that it will become second nature and I can achieve a majority of reading time.
glynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:21 AM   #10
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
It's all fine, but some people have asked me how much time spent in actual reading, and how much time is spent in fiddling about with the technology of reading...
You just need to learn the tricks of the trade and that's it. After you've found a nice font you like and a bunch of books, you're ready to go...

At first you should install Mobipocket on your PC (easier to use) or you can use calibre (more functions, but not so easy) - they'll do all the converting, you can manage your library and transfer books to the CyBook.

Look in the forums for some nice free fonts and copy them to the Font-directory (you'll surely find one you like).

Get some free books (plenty of this in the forums too)...
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #11
andavane
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynes View Post
That is an excellent question! Having just gotten my Gen 3 yesterday, I'm very high on the 'fiddling' end of the scale. I'm hoping I can get a handle on the technology soon, so that it will become second nature and I can achieve a majority of reading time.
Hello Madam,
I'm relatively new to this forum, the members of whom were ace in helping me decide my requirements.
These days I'm quite silent.
The reason?
I'm so sucked in by the fiction I'm reading I forgot all about the forum and indeed, mostly all about the device I was reading it on; evening dreaming about the fortunes of the characters.
What better recommendation could one get, eh?
Kind regards
John