Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
cinetici
cinetici began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
How to access Reading Menu Stats reading sideloaded epubs

As many of you took notice, since the 2.3 update, Kobo has presented a new feature, a reading menu which you can navigate to check curious information such as Time Remaining to end current chapter and time remaining to finish the whole book.
This feature looks like this:
Code:
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/kobo-reading-stats.jpg
Well, I had a hard time searching for this feature on my Kobo Glo, none of my books presented me this option so I started getting very frustrated. I contacted customer service and they replied me explaining this Reading Life feature is only available to KOBO EPUBS and not for any sideloaded ebooks

So here I am, very frustrated with thousands of books I have purchased and collected through the last years, knowing I will never be able to see this feature available with my books.

Is that an statement or I might be able to find a way to work this through? Is there a possibility to convert epub files in a way they could be read as kobo epub files and then I could enjoy reading life feature?
cinetici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
ndriver
ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Glo; Kobo AuraHD; Kobo Aura One
Search for Calibre and Kobotouch extended plugin.

If you set it up correctly, which is easy, you will be able to transfer an epub file as kepub to the device.

But I believe that screenshot and the full feature is only for Aura not Glo.

Last edited by ndriver; 05-23-2013 at 04:25 PM.
ndriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
cinetici

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndriver View Post

If you set it up correctly, which is easy, you will be able to send epub's as kepub files.

omg man, im so happy! Thx for the quick reply, Im gonna go look for the plugin, try it out, then I'll come back to tell the results
Thx again
Old 05-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It works on Mini/Touch/Glo too (the feature was added before the Aura came out).
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

If you set it up correctly, which is easy, you will be able to transfer an epub file as kepub to the device.

I have to disagree about the screen shot being from an Aura. The light control in the lower left corner would belong to a Glo. The same feature is available on Mini, Touch, Glo and Aura.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
cinetici

Quote:

Hi Ndriver, I was doing some tests here. I downloaded the plug-in, not sure Im using it properly, do I have to set anything different after installing or just convert and send straight to the kobo?

I still couldnt see the Reading Stats screen while navigation through the book but did find a post of someone who changed the file extension from epub to kepub.epub . Surprinsingly it sort of worked, it does show the stats and time remaining to finish the whole book and its chapters but ...that comes at a price.

The screen where it shows the actual pages / total pages of the book you'are reading is exchanged by the name of current chapter name. And the chapter name, the epub assumes it was a chapter since it was a spaced paragraph. Anyway its kind of a mess.

I'll keep digging though
Everyone please feel free to share some thoughts, it would be nice to have epubs with all kepubs benefits
Old 05-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #7
INCSlayer
INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 2(626)
when you enable the kobo extended plugin you have to also disable the normal kobo plugin
INCSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:19 AM   #8
cinetici

Quote:
Originally Posted by INCSlayer View Post
when you enable the kobo extended plugin you have to also disable the normal kobo plugin
INCSlayer:

the only plugin available for me is the Kobo Extended plugin. Can you elaborate your thoughts?
Old 05-24-2013, 02:43 AM   #9
INCSlayer
INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.INCSlayer knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 2(626)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinetici View Post
INCSlayer:

the only plugin available for me is the Kobo Extended plugin. Can you elaborate your thoughts?
I thought my thoughts were quite clear but ok
go into Preferences then plugins then expand the device plugins scroll down until you find the kobo (might be named kobo touch) plugin highlight it and click the disable button the plugin should grey out to show it is disabled if nothing beyond the kobo extended plugin is showing up then you have to make sure to UNtick the box marked "show only user added plugins"

if my instructions are hard to follow its because i am not infront of my home computer and i dont have calibre on this computer to double check my information
INCSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:49 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
INCSlayer:

The extended driver is a user installed plug-in. There is also the "Kobo Reader" and "KoboTouch" drivers. These are part of every calibre installation. These provide the basic support for all the Kobo devices. The KoboTouch supports the Touch, Mini, Glo and AuraHD. The extended driver uses this and adds function. It is recommended that if you use the extended driver, you should disable the KoboTouch driver. If you find the extended driver in the list of plugins, the KoboTouch driver should be immediately above it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:39 AM   #11
cinetici

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The extended driver is a user installed plug-in. There is also the "Kobo Reader" and "KoboTouch" drivers. These are part of every calibre installation. These provide the basic support for all the Kobo devices. The KoboTouch supports the Touch, Mini, Glo and AuraHD. The extended driver uses this and adds function. It is recommended that if you use the extended driver, you should disable the KoboTouch driver. If you find the extended driver in the list of plugins, the KoboTouch driver should be immediately above it.
Thanks for the input Davidfor
Im playling with some kepub conversions as I write

Can you please enlighten me on this matter:
On the low bar I am now able to see the reading statistics but on the center I cannot see the number of pages read / total of book pages, it shows me the number of pages read / total of chapter pages. Its really frustrating not being unable to see the total of book pages. This does not happen with kepub authentic files as I have just checked

Is this something that can be corrected?

PS: the extended kobo plugin is the only plugin I have enabled on

Last edited by cinetici; 05-24-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:30 AM   #12
ndriver
ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
It works on Mini/Touch/Glo too (the feature was added before the Aura came out).
Yes. Of course I was wrong.

Upon closer inspection I see it is indeed a Glo screenshot.

I've started using a Aura recently and I had not yet realized you could also expand the percentage on the Glo.

Last edited by ndriver; 05-24-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:41 AM   #13
ndriver

Quote:
On the low bar I am now able to see the reading statistics but on the center I cannot see the number of pages read / total of book pages, it shows me the number of pages read / total of chapter pages. Its really frustrating not being unable to see the total of book pages. This does not happen with kepub authentic files as I have just checked

Is this something that can be corrected?

PS: the extended kobo plugin is the only plugin I have enabled on

It is one of the drawbacks of using kepubs, another one, which for me is even worse, is the display of the title of the book at the page's header.

As far as I know there is nothing you can do, except hoping for a new firmware which allows to disable those.

I'm pretty sure this also affects books bought directly from Kobo.
Maybe you tried with a book which only contains one chapter?
Old 05-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #14
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Can you please enlighten me on this matter:
This is the proper behaviour of a kepub file whether this is an "authentic" one or a converted one. You can find a lot of information on kepub vs epub in this part of the forum, since the Aura has attracted a lot of new users to the Kobo world
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #15
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
It is one of the drawbacks of using kepubs, another one, which for me is even worse, is the display of the title of the book at the page's header.

As far as I know there is nothing you can do, except hoping for a new firmware which allows to disable those.
Yes, there is. The fix:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2513670
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote