Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Neil Gaiman on Copyright

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt...ayer_embedded#

An interesting listen...

Last edited by guyanonymous; 02-10-2011 at 09:50 AM.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
Very interesting. American Gods is on my wishlist too, I'll have to pick it up soon.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
With one or two exceptions, I seriously disliked Neverwhere--to the point that I haven't read anything else by Gaiman, despite hearing some good things about American Gods. However, I'm really impressed by what he said in that interview. It's all the more meaningful coming from an author--someone who is supposedly losing money to piracy. I like it when the uptight moneymen have their preconceived notions debunked like this.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Oh, how neat! I remember when they did the freebie American Gods thing-- everyone was surprised at how much the sales increased. It was kind of funny, actually.

(SlowRain, I also hated Neverwhere, but American Gods was much better written and way more enjoyable.)
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:11 AM   #5
TheSFReader
Groupie
TheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really nice

Device: Nook
Yes, great link, thanks !
However, could you please change the title to "Neil Gaiman on Copyright" : You've got the author's name wrong there ...
TheSFReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 06:43 AM   #6
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Yep, wrong name there.

Gaiman's a great author, any of Sandman comics, American Gods or Coraline can prove that.

Still, pbooks sales may rise, but what about ebooks? People have a real sense of property and are willing to pay for a bunch of sheets and a cover, but just another digital copy, officially sanctioned or not, doesn't elicit much of a strong emotional reaction...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
With one or two exceptions, I seriously disliked Neverwhere--to the point that I haven't read anything else by Gaiman, despite hearing some good things about American Gods. However, I'm really impressed by what he said in that interview. It's all the more meaningful coming from an author--someone who is supposedly losing money to piracy. I like it when the uptight moneymen have their preconceived notions debunked like this.
I read some stuff on his blog from time to time, and he seems like a great guy, but I also seriously dislike his writing. Coraline was ok, Fragile Things was pretty cool (collection of short stories). But Neverwhere and American Gods were just dreadful. Predictable and boring. If you haven't liked him yet, I can't say I recommend continuing. He's pretty consistent across books, and I think I'd like his writing a lot more if everything he wrote was shorter. He can't just carry a plot for 500 pages.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSFReader View Post
Yes, great link, thanks !
However, could you please change the title to "Neil Gaiman on Copyright" : You've got the author's name wrong there ...
I added his first name...not sure that lacking a first name makes his last name wrong though...
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
No one who would have bought your book is going to not buy it because they can get it for free
Go Neil!
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
I added his first name...not sure that lacking a first name makes his last name wrong though...
The title said "Gaimen" until I corrected it.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #11
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I really like Neil Gaiman's work. Thanks for posting this.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Neil's is the word of an established popular author with a print line and a publisher. I'm sure the raw volume of sales he made were enough to offset any losses, whatever they were. His statements may not apply equally to the purely digital author/publisher.

Quote:
No one who would have bought your book is going to not buy it because they can get it for free
All I'll say about this is it's not accurate as the absolute statement he presented. We at MR know people who have obtained ebooks for free and have not bought the printed copy (or the pay-for ebook). We also know people who did buy the book or ebook after obtaining a free copy. There are some of both out there (and we won't try to quantify them against each other here).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
No. It was the spelling error which made it wrong, which Jellby has now corrected.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Opinions vary. I loved American Gods. The pacing dragged a little at times but there was a payoff and some depth, at least for me. Ananzi Boys was placed in the same "world" and paces a bit better. Heck, I enjoyed the Graveyard Book even though the plot only nibbles at the edges of what's really happening.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #15
BrianFreeman
BrianFreeman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & iPad
Well, my personal experience as someone who is totally unknown to most readers outside my genre is that giving an eBook away for free for one month GREATLY increased sales of the print edition. I've only tried the experiment once, but I don't mean we saw a small bump in sales -- I mean we sold thousands of copies of the $19.99 hardcover we never expected to sell. I don't want to self promote too much since I'm not a frequent poster on this board, but the website for the freebie was http://www.DownloadTheDarkness.com if you're interested and some of the info about what we tried is still posted there. It really was a lot of fun and the "risk" of giving the book away for free definitely paid off in terms of finding thousands of great new readers for my work...

Brian
BrianFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote