Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 06:08 AM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Conditions can, indeed, be tough for parents. But think of the large immigrations into this country. The parents were motivated. Part of wanting the best for their children, was to see to it that the children did well in school. So I don't buy the notion that today’s parents can't do a better job. The emigrants of the past worked 2 or more jobs too.

I wish we could have a few more immigration waves like we did in the early 1900s where people fled their old country for the promise of a better life.

But I sometimes wonder if this country really does have a better future at all.
thought that's what was happening on our southern border
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #17
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
I'm not sure about what the Mayor has in mind, but he has made a point of slamming teachers for the poor academic performance of students when tested despite receiving passing grades.
Now that I can agree with. If a teacher is giving passing grades simply as a matter of convenience or to not rock the boat then that teacher should be fired. Regardless of the reason the the student didn't learn the material, it is the teachers responsibility to point that out and take steps to rectify it. If that includes failing them and/or holding them back a year then that is what it takes. Maybe the connotation that your kid is an idiot will get some parents off their butts and put forth a little effort!
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #18
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
thought that's what was happening on our southern border
I'm not sure. I think that what I'm talking about is legal immigration. There might be a difference.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
I'm not sure. I think that what I'm talking about is legal immigration. There might be a difference.
The result might be the same though...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #20
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Conditions can, indeed, be tough for parents. But think of the large immigrations into this country. The parents were motivated. Part of wanting the best for their children, was to see to it that the children did well in school. So I don't buy the notion that today’s parents can't do a better job. The emigrants of the past worked 2 or more jobs too.
Whether or not parents can and should be doing more, it makes no sense to blame the teachers for what the kids didn't know when they arrived in September (or whenever the school year starts). Pick your own way of measuring whether or not the parents are doing their part-- and then factor that out of evaluating the teachers and schools. That's my point.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #21
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I put most of the blame on the parents. Teachers can't do much, for most students, when the parents decide that working with their kids is too much trouble.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #22
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
A lot of good points made so far and I agree with almost all of them. I can tell you though that there simply is no long line of people wanting to be teachers. You can call for all 10,000 teachers, but they are just not out there. Fewer and fewer people are choosing the profession and as a teacher, I have to tell you I wouldn't choose it again if I had the chance. I was originally an engineering major and switched to education.

I have been watching "Education Nation" on NBC, Oprah, and other programs recently and it all boils down to teacher bashing. I can't imagine anyone wanting to become the town whipping boy.

My school is rated as a "failing school" because not enough of our students reached the new Math proficiency levels. We passed the level that was set for last year, but it gets raised every year. Eventually we're supposed to be at 100% proficiency. We reached our Reading proficiency. In fact our Reading scores went up 22% over the previous year. Does that mean our Reading teachers are great and our Math teachers suck? I can tell you the answer is no. There are dozens of other factors that come in to play, not the least of which is that the students have absolutely no incentive to pass the test or even take it seriously. It doesn't affect their grade, only the school's. Yet the teachers are under tremendous pressure to try harder, work harder, do anything to improve the scores. We are under a huge amount of pressure-- at each weekly meeting, at staff development days, from parents, from community leaders and politicians, from the district.

That includes me. I teach History. They don't even test History. Yet I'm supposed to be "accountable" because my students haven't all reached their desired Reading and Math levels? The same for the Science teacher, PE teachers, Art teachers, Music teachers, Computer teachers. We're told we are failures because of the Math and Reading scores of students on tests that were never designed in the first place to rate schools, but to evaluate individual student needs.

Last edited by HistoryWes; 09-28-2010 at 08:46 PM.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #23
SameOldStory
My True Self

There is no way I would be a teacher. Mainly for those, and other, reasons.

I met a teacher from Boston. She had been assaulted by one of her students. The student was given 3 days suspension with a transfer to another class when he came back. He probably considered it a vacation.

Do you think that the new teacher tried to discipline him, or even give him a bad grade?

Whatever problem there may be with teachers, they need something to work with.

This is a failure of society, more than teachers.