Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Why did Elizabeth Moon stop publishing through Baen?

Title says it all. It came up in passing in the book club nomination thread, and I haven't been able to find anything around the interwebs on the matter.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Don't you think that's a private matter between her and Baen?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I remember reading about some kind of disagreement, but don't know the details. I'm sure it's something that happens all the time in the publishing industry though.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's actually what I was curious about. Whether it was some sort of personal decision, or whether it was simply business (more sales with the bigger publishers).
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Title says it all. It came up in passing in the book club nomination thread, and I haven't been able to find anything around the interwebs on the matter.
Comments by Ms. Moon make it sound like Baen wasn't willing to publish some of her books that don't exactly fall within their typical mil-SF/high fantasy bailiwick. (Having read The Speed of Dark, I can see why Baen didn't think it would do well with their audience.)
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
Comments by Ms. Moon make it sound like Baen wasn't willing to publish some of her books that don't exactly fall within their typical mil-SF/high fantasy bailiwick. (Having read The Speed of Dark, I can see why Baen didn't think it would do well with their audience.)
The Speed of Dark is probably my all time favorite book by Elizabeth Moon. She is one of the few authors for who(m) I will make an exception and purchase her books at retail prices. But I was sorry to see her leave Baen because it means that I have to purchase DRM infested books.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
The Speed of Dark is probably my all time favorite book by Elizabeth Moon. She is one of the few authors for who(m) I will make an exception and purchase her books at retail prices. But I was sorry to see her leave Baen because it means that I have to purchase DRM infested books.
And yet "The Speed of Dark" was, to me (and I realize that any book's 'value' is in the mind of the customer, so take my opinion with any necessary grains of salt), so unreadable as to almost make me swear off Ms. Moon's future books. It did NOT fit the Baen library.

Even so, I'm sure Ms. Moon will find other publishers who are eager to publish her books.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #8
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
And it means I will not purchase her books. In my eyes, no author is so good as to merit my support of DRM. Also, Ky Vatta is a Mary Sue.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Also, Ky Vatta is a Mary Sue.
No more than Heris Serrano or Esmay Suiza, surely...
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Quote:
I've been pondering this post for a couple of days, trying wrap my mind around it.

My answer would be, "No, it's not". For a couple of reasons:
  1. Publishing books is by its nature a public thing. I think the authors implicitly give up the right to some privacy - at least for those things directly related to publishing.
  2. The choices directly affect the readers. Others have noted that this makes some of her material unavailable in a DRM free format.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I'm afraid, Harry, that I have to disagree with you this time and support Hamster's take. A reader does have some legitimate stake in a writer and how and where s/he publishes. Neil
Attached Images

neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
[*]The choices directly affect the readers. Others have noted that this makes some of her material unavailable in a DRM free format.[/LIST]
That is incorrect. All her material is available in totally DRM-free paper format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #13
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A

Pedant.

Anyway, I'm with Worldwalker on this one, and it's a shame.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
As far as I know, it was a disagreement about the new webscription service about a decade ago. But this is hearsay. And a decade ago.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #15
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Quote:
That is incorrect. All her material is available in totally DRM-free paper format.
True, but if this means that some readers have to go to a store and kill trees to read that material, then her choice has still affected them. So they would still have some reasonable expectation to understand why - pushing the reasons for that decision back out into the public domain.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote