Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #31
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Kovid, perhaps you missed the bit where Valloric said "Sigil [...] will generate the guide element on export"

I think it's a good point that not all ePubs will have this guide element, and it would be great if Calibre provided a work-around for this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sigh, whatever, I give up. I can see that getting Sigil to play well with calibre is not going to happen.

Probably faster for me to just make my own EPUB editor.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #32
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Sigh, whatever, I give up. I can see that getting Sigil to play well with calibre is not going to happen.

Probably faster for me to just make my own EPUB editor.
This I think is a bit unnecessary Kovid. I'm willing to compromise and I'm certainly more than willing to do everything in my power to make Sigil play well with calibre. In the end, I'll just make the guide element if that will be what it takes to end what seems to have grown from a polite discussion to an argument. No need to do anything on your part...

I'm absolutely shocked you said something like this Kovid. I really am.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #33
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Kovid, perhaps you missed the bit where Valloric said "Sigil [...] will generate the guide element on export"
Yes, I thought I said that. I wanted Sigil to create whatever is necessary to work with calibre, but I also wanted calibre to work better with other epubs that might not come from an app that takes this into consideration.

But if he's going to get angry over this, then I'll just help out and he can sulk. I'm not going to go into a pissing contest over an XML element.

EDIT: I still don't see any need for anyone to get angry here. I mean WTH I still can't fathom the turn this thread took.

Last edited by Valloric; 08-05-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #34
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sorry about that, I'm having a rough day and this seems like such a trivial thing that I am amazed we ended up going 18 rounds over it. I just didn't expect to have to spend hours arguing over it.

As for getting Sigil and calibre to co-operate I'm all for it. In fact I have been planning to add a button to the calibre GUI to launch Sigil with the EPUB in the calibre database (making for a convenient workflow). With regards to that, I have some ideas about IPC I'd like to hash out with you, but perhaps over email. Just PM me your email address.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #35
Valloric

Quote:
Sorry about that, I'm having a rough day and this seems like such a trivial thing that I am amazed we ended up going 18 rounds over it.
You're absolutely right here. The rough day I can understand and I'm willing to forget this whole rather retarded thread and move on.

Quote:
I just didn't expect to have to spend hours arguing over it.
I honestly didn't see it as an argument. Honestly. I saw it as a polite discussion, like any number of others I've had the privilege of participating in here on MobileRead.

Quote:
As for getting Sigil and calibre to co-operate I'm all for it. In fact I have been planning to add a button to the calibre GUI to launch Sigil with the EPUB in the calibre database (making for a convenient workflow). With regards to that, I have some ideas about IPC I'd like to hash out with you, but perhaps over email. Just PM me your email address.
I'll do that right now.

And just for the record so nothing is left lingering... I've never had anything but the utmost respect for you Kovid. You have single-handedly made the whole e-book market pleasant for the everyday user. I personally would have never bought an ebook reading device if it weren't for calibre and your efforts.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #36
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Cool, this thread is closed. And I apologize once again for my rudeness. And calibre is much more than my single handed effort. All I can really take credit for is getting it going. It now has a life of its own, as evidenced by the declining percentage of code I commit to it
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sigil can do what Book Designer did which was take the first page as a cover. And if the first page is blank ([age break with nothing in front of it), Sigil can then take that as there is no cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:25 AM   #38
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Sigil doesn't work that way. What if the user just imported an image and placed it at the beginning of the file?
Have an option to mark (and unmark) the first page (which may be an image or whatever) as "cover". It can be shown in some particular way on the screen, and on export will be marked as cover in the guide.

Quote:
Reading systems are not required to use the guide element, and even if they were, ebook authors are not required to specify a cover page.
Reading systems are not required to properly display "text-variant: small-caps" or "display: oeb-page-header", and yet I'm sure you can generate that with Sigil.
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:53 AM   #39
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Have an option to mark (and unmark) the first page (which may be an image or whatever) as "cover". It can be shown in some particular way on the screen, and on export will be marked as cover in the guide.
Jellby, Kovid and I are working through email on making this (and more) happen. Please don't poke this thread, leave it to die.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #40
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Sorry
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote