Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #31
AlexKidd
Enthusiast
AlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheeseAlexKidd can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox 60, Onyx Boox Max Carta, Wexler Flex One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
I got first picture of working Android on Onyx Boox i62.
it is an interface unnecessarily complex and confusing
AlexKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #32
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buecherwurm92 View Post
For everything I'd want to do with an e-book reader, Android 2.2 is more than good enough. I care more about the quality of the port (battery life etc.) than about the version number.
I have Android 2.3 on my current ereader (Kyobo mirasol ereader) and, while Android 2.3 is adequate for an ereader, it's very poor for a tablet (keep in mind that the mirasol has faster refresh than eink). If I wanted just an eink ereader I'd get any of the other devices with an optimized firmware—the Kobo Glo is significantly cheaper and lighter than the Onyx Boox.
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #33
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW, M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
In an interview about 2 years ago the CEO of Onyx explained why they did not do Android at that time: they thought Android was not good enough yet as a basis for e-readers. The fact that they started working on Android now told me that by now they think Android is good enough.
At that time maybe they still lived with the imagination they were capable to program software that is stable and useful...
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #34
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenderland View Post
At that time maybe they still lived with the imagination they were capable to program software that is stable and useful...
Oh be nice. Getting a stable Android build on an ereader is much harder I'd wager than putting out another custom ereader OS. The benefits of Android are clear: you get access to all the ereader stores on the device itself and nifty apps like Calibre Companion (by the way, screenshots of Calibre Companion on a Boox would be nice... Booxtor )
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:36 AM   #35
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW, M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pata View Post
Oh be nice.
Why should i? We already have OCTOBER! Is ist nice by Onyx by taking the money but not offering a working product as promised?
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #36
celticgirl
Enthusiast
celticgirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo SONY
Has anyone heard if there is progress for Android for the M92? Thank you!
celticgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #37
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticgirl View Post
Has anyone heard if there is progress for Android for the M92? Thank you!
Yes. There is a team working on that port.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #38
celticgirl
Enthusiast
celticgirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo SONY
Thanks so much Booxtor!! I'll be looking for news about it here!
celticgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:37 AM   #39
crazydog
error
crazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Keyboard, M92
Quote:
When will the Android port be available for us?
crazydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #40
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
@booxstor:

Did you gave an eye to seaniko7's obuntu project in his current release?
It looks greatly promising.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #41
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydog View Post
When will the Android port be available for us?
Booxstor wrote few months ago that Onyx interupted work on porting Android. They decided to tune up current firmware first.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #42
larret
larret began at the beginning.

Device: M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Quick question. What's the status of works on porting android to M92?
larret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:28 AM   #43
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by larret View Post
Quick question. What's the status of works on porting android to M92?
It will never be ported to m92 because Onyx must sell m96 now. For the same reason promised update of m92's firmware will never be finished. Which makes the many promises made by salespeople here and there, well... lies? I think customers should be advised not to buy anything Onyx produces if the purchase has to do with what is being promised - they regularly fail to keep their word. We have seen that with m90 and now with m92.
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:04 AM   #44
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Unfortunately I have to agree with Janek. Onyx is busy fixing the bugs in M96, and has no incentive to port Android to M92, because that would actually match the biggest selling point of the M96.
It's an old wisdom that you should always buy devices based on their current capabilities, and especially true in case of Onyx, as they don't have a reputation to protect.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:03 AM   #45
Manolo
Addict
Manolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo AuraH2O & Onyx i62HD & M92
I agree with Janek and Jmirko. As Onyx launched the M96 and they are busy patching M96 and T68 ...

It's the same with the promised Acapella TTS for M92 & i62, promised in 2013
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=239977
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217058

Or with the bugs in M92 & i62 firmware. never solved (some were present in Boox 60 firmware in 2009!)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=202753

You can't buy something with the hope the manufacturer in the future will do something. And that not only happens with Onyx Boox, with others manufacturers too.

Last edited by Manolo; 10-10-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Manolo is offline   Reply With Quote