Notices

Old 04-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
djprescott
Enthusiast
djprescott began at the beginning.

Device: None
Kindle plugin for InDesign

Hi there everyone

I need some expert knowledge! Hoping you can help.

I have been working on an export for Kindle, using InDesign and the Kindle export plugin. The results are perfect in Kindle Fire: formatting and custom fonts all come through fine.

I have begun testing on older devices now (specifically the Kindle keyboard from 2010) and none of the custom fonts come through, and a lot of the display formatting is lost.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Is there a way to get custom fonts to show on these older devices?
2. Is thee a way for one .mobi file to cater for both devices? Should I be thinking about media queries?

Many thanks to you all in advance.

All best
Dan
djprescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:13 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by djprescott View Post
1. Is there a way to get custom fonts to show on these older devices?
Devices older than a K3 don't support embedded fonts, and a K3 will only display them if the firmware has been updated to 3.4 and the Publisher Fonts option has been enabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djprescott View Post
2. Is thee a way for one .mobi file to cater for both devices? Should I be thinking about media queries?
Use media queries, for more information see the Kindle Publishing Guidelines.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
djprescott
Enthusiast
djprescott began at the beginning.

Device: None
Hi Doitsu

Many thanks for your reply and the link to Amazon's guide.

All best
Dan
djprescott is offline   Reply With Quote