Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #91
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
If eink displays start getting very white I hope they introduce an option to dial-back the 'whiteness' of the background. I often find books (usually hardcovers) printed on very light-coloured paper hard to read in the bright sun.
I agree. I actually find my Kindle 2 display to be a very nice background for my vision. I remember when in college I really would dread reading some textbooks simply because the paper was too white, shiny and reflective. I found those all to be quite distracting.

So here is another vote for a newer screen which improves resolution, adds something interesting and fun but doesn't forget it's first and foremost an reading device.

Who knows with color EPD panels coming some day "real soon now" it might well already be possible to let users adjust the background color to a degree. I think that might be a nice addition until we get viable color panels.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #92
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobylspoon View Post
This sounds like a worthy upgrade for my PRS-505! I hope (but doubt) they included a microSD slot.
Actually, the T2 is a worthy upgrade for your 505. The T2 has a microSD slot and it handles ePub so all the ePub you have will work without having to be converted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #93
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
On the other hand, Amazon is *calling the thing* Paperwhite; so obviously they think the increased whiteness is a big deal.
Forgive me for pointing this out, but Amazon is doing no such thing. This is an unverified blog report, and we know how "reliable" blogs are when it comes to news reporting. This could be real, or it could be a complete Photoshop'd fake. We'll find out on Thursday.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #94
Ubermensch
Connoisseur
Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
it looks like Amazon will be touting the unit with "higher contrast, high resolution, integrated lighting, and eight weeks of battery life,"[/url]
The author was able to make the distinction between "haute" (high) and "améliorée" (improved) when mentioning the resolution, but then emplies that the image said something about higher contrast, which it didn't.

"Contraste marqué" doesn't automatically mean better contrast... "Marqué" would translate to "marked", as in clearly visible, not "improved". It doesn't make any comparison. We could say "contraste marqué" for pretty much all previous generations of Kindles.

However it's true that, after having seen the "leaked" image, it's safe to assume that it will surely have an improved contrast, and probably a higher resolution as well.
Ubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #95
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Forgive me for pointing this out, but Amazon is doing no such thing. This is an unverified blog report, and we know how "reliable" blogs are when it comes to news reporting. This could be real, or it could be a complete Photoshop'd fake. We'll find out on Thursday.
Oh, maybe so; I sort of missed that. (Although I would classify the Verge as better than a random blog, they don't really explain the provenance of these images).
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #96
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
But what I really suspect is that the screen looks really white *when the light is used*. It's already the case that pearl screen in sunlight look noticeably whiter than they do under a reading light less bright than the sun, so my theory is that there is some aspect of the frontlighting that brings out the whiteness of the screen and maybe enhances the contrast as well.
Good point whether the blog post is legitimate or not. I thought briefly about that aspect, too, but was more excited about the idea of an overall improvement.

And I did observe after posting that later reviews not only failed to notice the improvement in the T2 but made a point of reporting that the contrast was the same as the T1's. We're always hearing about contrast variability in Pearl screens. Perhaps the WSJ reviewer got an especially good one.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-02-2012 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Replaced redundant verb.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #97
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I just got back from my time machine and wanted to let everyone know there is nothing to worry about.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #98
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm guessing that the new device name refers to the unlit screen's whiteness. The Verge has a couple of other photos and they make it look like the screen is white.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #99
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I just got back from my time machine and wanted to let everyone know there is nothing to worry about.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #100
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Assuming the verge didn't just pull "paperwhite" out of its editorial derrière, a couple of possibilities:

- it is the same pearl screen, possibly with minor improvement in the lightness of the background. The paperwhite comes from the intergrated front light. After all, the pearl screen is pretty white if you shine enough light on it. I mean, look at the ads for the current kindles. I don't see any that does not have a pretty white background already. Paperwhite is just the new pearl.

- Eink really has a new screen with a near white background which it has held back for its biggest customer, Amazon. This isn't totally crazy. I think iPad is still the only major tablet with higher than HD resolution because Apple pretty much bought up all the HD+ panels. I can see Amazon doing the same with eink.

- Amazon has come up with some proprietary trick of its own to lighten the background of the standard pearl screen. This is kind of unlikely (if it's possible, you'd think Eink would figure it out themselves).

Anyway, I hope the black "ink" stays the same or gets darker. If both the screen and the ink are lighter, that won't improve contrast; you just add more glare.

All shall be revealed in the fullness of time....
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:29 AM   #101
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
- Eink really has a new screen with a near white background which it has held back for its biggest customer, Amazon. This isn't totally crazy. I think iPad is still the only major tablet with higher than HD resolution because Apple pretty much bought up all the HD+ panels. I can see Amazon doing the same with eink.
This

I think there is a good possibility that Amazon has guranteed that they take 100 % of the output for a year provided eInk doesn't go public untill post Sep 6. This will give eInk plenty of time to adjust and fine tune production and face out Pearl screens quietly.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #102
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
This

I think there is a good possibility that Amazon has guranteed that they take 100 % of the output for a year provided eInk doesn't go public untill post Sep 6. This will give eInk plenty of time to adjust and fine tune production and face out Pearl screens quietly.
They may even have helped fund the new manufacturing facility/process. It makes sense on both ends since Amazon eats up as much as 70-80% of eink's film capacity.

I wouldn't expect Pearl to be phased out soon, though; there are still vendors introducing *new* Vizplex products.

In the semiconductor industry it is common for "obsolete" facilities that have been superceded by newer manufacturing processes to be repurposed for cheaper, less tech-intensive products; old CPU facilities get turned into micro-controller facilities, etc. And since eink displays have other, non-consumer uses, they might just repurpose the Pearl capacity. The main problem is the difference in volume between Amazon's business and all the other eink uses.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #103
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
but tapping on the screen requires even less muscular effort than pressing a button!
Yes, but you have to actualy move the thumb instead of just increasing the pressure slightly ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:00 AM   #104
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesilver View Post
How did you all survive before e-readers? moving your fingers to turn paper books must have been a nightmare for you guys.
You laugh, but keeping my right thumb perched over my tablet for page turns seems the surest way to get RSI pain in that hand. My PC mouse is probably the larger contributing factor to the injury (along with texting and dominant hand kitchen work), but tapping or swiping page turns is what brings the pain. I don't know if the same would apply to a physical page turn button or not. Fortunately, using Mantano Reader for Android I can re-map the page turn zones and use my left thumb, which doesn't have the same issues.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #105
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
A lot of people seem to be focusing on the front-lit aspect, but it is the "PaperWhite" part that I find really interesting. If Amazon releases something that dramatically improves contrast, that would be really exciting. I'd love to see eInk with a contrast ratio closer to the whiteness of a piece of paper from the page of a book instead of the dull gray of a newspaper page. Of coarse, it is probably just a front light, but I can hope.
The reports I've read about the SonyT2 seem to indicate that indeed there is an improved contrast due to the whiteness of the screen. I am pretty confident that the Kindle will show the same improvement since they use the exact same supplier.

With pearl eInk there were differences between identical devices, probably due to production issues. My mom's T1 is brigher than my K4NT -- I've heard people making the exact inverse observation. I hope these issues have been solved and that all devices will now consistently have high quality screens.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote