Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 06-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
best firmware for 2009 bebook one

I haven't been keeping up with the Bebook One (2009) firmware but recently have encountered a problem with my epub TOCs so am looking for the best firmware for using with Adobe-spec epubs. Went to the Bebook One download site but it only has the 2010 firmware which is not for the 2009 reader,

As far as I can tell, the Hanlin v3 v2.20 is the most recent official firmware for my reader, but I wondered if there are better or more recent firmware versions compatible with Bebook 2009 available.

Any ideas about this?
Bob
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
As far as I can tell, the Hanlin v3 v2.20 is the most recent official firmware for my reader, but I wondered if there are better or more recent firmware versions compatible with Bebook 2009 available.
This is the firmware that I use on my BeBook One (Hanlin V3ext), but I only use the CoolReader for EPUB, so I can't say if it will do anything for your Adobe problem.

http://www.lbook.ua/ru/downloads/firmwarev3

BTW, the web page is in Russian, so you will need a web page translator like Google translate unless you understand Russian.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:06 AM   #3
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

toc on bebook

Dave S,
Thanks for the info; I had used an older version of the lbook firmware some time ago but went back to the bebook fw about a year ago. The problem I have is that I can not use internal tocs on the bebook one. The external 1st level toc works fine, but there is no way I've found to use an html link in epub, unlike mobi.

Anyway, I tried the Lbook fw you suggested and I like it better than the bebook fw so I'll keep using it. However, mobi-like link choice for epubs still is not implemented. Perhaps there is some feature in the bebook one that precludes it (?) It looks like eventually I'll need to get another ebook reader. It's too bad, because except for the toc problem I really like the bebook one.
Bob
Old 06-29-2010, 02:09 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Dave S,
Thanks for the info; I had used an older version of the lbook firmware some time ago but went back to the bebook fw about a year ago. The problem I have is that I can not use internal tocs on the bebook one. The external 1st level toc works fine, but there is no way I've found to use an html link in epub, unlike mobi.

Anyway, I tried the Lbook fw you suggested and I like it better than the bebook fw so I'll keep using it. However, mobi-like link choice for epubs still is not implemented. Perhaps there is some feature in the bebook one that precludes it (?) It looks like eventually I'll need to get another ebook reader. It's too bad, because except for the toc problem I really like the bebook one.
Bob
Have you tried using CoolReader to read a DRM free EPUB yet? To do that, you just do a long press on the number key corresponding to the book that you want to open. The long press will result in the file manipulation menu opening, and if you select OPEN, then the EPUB will open in CoolReader instead of ADE. This ONLY works for DRM free EPUBs. I have never built an EPUB with an inline TOC, so I do not know if that would be of any value to you. The thing that I like about CoolReader for EPUB is the ability to use my own fonts, many more font size selections, and the ability to use my own custom CSS or to simply override the EPUB's built-in CSS.

Anyway, I am glad that you found at least some value in the suggestion.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
bobcdy
Fanatic

Dave S

Thanks again; I didn't know about the long key press ... I was wondering why the Lbook fw epubs look about the same as with BeBook fw.

Anyway I tried the long keypress but found that the formatting on all all my epubs did not seem to work; this includes those downloaded from MobilRead and those created by me from pdf files or book scans (?). I was surprised because I thought that the CoolReader3 might be a solution to my problems with TOC, but with CoolReader there was NO toc rather than the somewhat deficient one with the Bebook One firmware. Also, all my images were very small and the page breaks did not work. All in all, CoolReader seemed to be a disaster for Epubs; perhaps I have a bad copy of Lbook fw or maybe there is something I need to do to properly install CoolReader3?

Bob
Old 06-30-2010, 02:10 AM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Thanks again; I didn't know about the long key press ... I was wondering why the Lbook fw epubs look about the same as with BeBook fw.

Anyway I tried the long keypress but found that the formatting on all all my epubs did not seem to work; this includes those downloaded from MobilRead and those created by me from pdf files or book scans (?).
Did you get the firmware from 22 June 2010, or the firmware from 30 October 2009? They are both on the same download page at the Lbook site. I have had no problems with chapter breaks, chapter titles, subtitles, etc., with the latest firmware version of CoolReader. It is true that there is still work to be done with placing and re-sizing of images though.

As for the TOC, I was thinking that you were referring to an in-line TOC? I know that there is currently no TOC in the "go to page" menu. Since I usually remove any TOC that may be in a book that I convert, I have do not have much experience with the TOC in EPUBs. CoolReader is still a Work in Progress, so while it meets my needs now, it certainly may not be for everybody yet. I really like CoolReader's ability to install fonts, have many font size selections, and the ability to override the EPUB CSS with settings of my own.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:46 AM   #7
sbring
sbring began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
This is the firmware that I use on my BeBook One (Hanlin V3ext), but I only use the CoolReader for EPUB, so I can't say if it will do anything for your Adobe problem.

http://www.lbook.ua/ru/downloads/firmwarev3
Looks very nice! Pity it refuses to boot OI live, though.
sbring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:34 AM   #8
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbring View Post
Looks very nice! Pity it refuses to boot OI live, though.
Actually it does not refuse to boot OI Live. CoolReader does pass the boot-OI-V3.exe.fb2 script through to the shell for execution, but insmod fails during the loading process. There appears to be something wrong with the module format of reloaded.ko in the OpenInkpot Live package. Boot.log.txt was written with this message when I tried OpenInkpot Live.

Code:
insmod: cannot insert '/root/abook/Books/openinkpot/reloaded.ko': invalid module format (-1): Exec format error
Old 11-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to try the ADE epub reader on my BeBook and I was wondering if th lbook firmware does ADE as well as coolreader? I can't read Russian so can't figure it out.

Also, Dave_S, since I know you used to use OI, could you advise me on how to go about reformatting my BeBook to fat so I can use the lbook firmware.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote