Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Recently Read - April 2011

Recently Read - April 2011

all books - "e"

sf longer works:

Robb, J.D., "Indulgence in Death" ****
One of the best Eve & Roarke murder mysteries in a while. Robb's always a smooth writer, but this one had a bit more passion than recent ones, without some of the oddities. On the other hand, it wasn't particularly sf.

Flint, Eric, ed., "Ring of Fire" & "Ring of Fire II" ***
This is a series of short stories based on the Flint "1632" time travel/alternate history novel (and it's sequels, which I haven't read.) I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the writing, although some of them have fairly thin plots. A few are more vignettes than stories. Since Flint wisely kept the time travel to a minimum (one big event) and shows the development of the alternate history in all of its self-referential glory, the descendent short stories fitted into the interstices of the main plot-lines are fairly logical and straight-forward.

Reid, Terri, "Loose Ends" & "Good Tidings" **
Mary Reilly sees dead people. She moved out of Chicago after she was killed on the job and brought back to life. Rural Freeport, IL has a lot fewer ghosts. The ex-cop is now a private investigator, specializing in cases with a paranormal content. Being able to see and talk to ghosts has advantages in that field. These two (and now a third) self-published novels are decent reads, with an improving author. "Loose Ends" is an untangling of recent history and old murders. "Good Tidings" is a Christmas story, with a kidnapped babe traveling long distances in the company of some very unwise folk.

Short sf e-tales:

Since I can't remember any of the short works I read, even with the list of titles before me, I won't mention them.

Non-sf:
Spencer-Fleming, Julia, The 'Clare Fergusson and Russ Van Alstyne' Mysteries ***
A female Episcopal priest, a small-town police chief, and a murder victim walk into a bar ... Stop me if you've heard this one.

Winspear, Jacqueline, The 'Maisie Dobbs' Mysteries ****
These are aimed at a younger, simpler audience. Set in 1930s southern England, Maisie is the daughter of a costermonger who rose to an education, love, and a brush with death in WW I France as a VAD nurse. Now she's a private investigator with a medical & psychological bent. The best novels ("The Mapping of Love & Death", for example) get the series the overall four star rating. The worst are decent 3 star ones.

My stars:
***** A classic, read it immediately.
**** Very good, you might even buy it in hardback.
*** Good, well worth your time.
** Readable, but I'd wait for a cheap copy.
* A book with at least one redeeming value, even if it's nice cover art.
Not rated - noted, but not rated because it's an anthology, or I couldn't finish it, or it's obviously good but not to my taste.
No stars (zero, zip, zilch, nada, none, goose-egg) - don't read this book.

e: electronic book; p: paper book

YMMV - seek other opinions, and don't blame me.

Happy Reading,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote