Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 03:13 AM   #1
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
The Monstrumologist

I just read this book (by Rick Yancey) for the second time, which makes it one of two books I've ever read twice. This book and its successor Curse of the Wendigo(an homage to Algernon Blackwood's tale, but worthy on its own) are possibly the most delightful things I've read in years. Despite getting a Michael L. Printz Honor and being leagues above most current bestsellers in YA, the books seem relatively unknown, or at least not nearly as known as they should be.

For those unawares, it's essentially Victorian horror/adventure; well sorta. The prose is eloquent and sharp, and it has one of the most realized and well developed main characters I've ever read. By eloquent I mean it has the kind of writing that has you finishing a paragraph, only to stop and go "wow." Additionally it's quite gruesome and fun, and even touching at times. I bought it on a whim and it just knocked my socks off. It's like a cross between science/crime procedural and supernatural horror, with a touch of the romantic here and there.

It's labeled as YA but it would take a rather advanced young adult to appreciate it (my Kindle dictionary was well-used). I read it first as an ebook then bought the hardcover because I just had to own it as such (and random pages have little illustrations of old medical devices in the page corner, very cool). The book begs to be read by candlelight.

A highly recommended treat.

Last edited by OtterBooks; 04-19-2011 at 03:18 AM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
richvalle
Connoisseur
richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Nook Color
Thanks, I've never heard of it. Sounds like something my daughter (14... no... 15 now! Yikes...) would like.

rv
richvalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
richvalle
Connoisseur
richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Nook Color
Picked it up from the Library today for my daughter. If she says it's good I'll give it a try too.

rv
richvalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I found this to be a wonderful, incredible read.

One of the best horror novels I've read in a long time. (But, hey! that's just my opinion.)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
I second the recommendation - although caution on having younger kids read The Monstrumologist. It's actually really scary and the author doesn't shy away from pretty graphic descriptions of blood and gore.

[I don't want to give away spoilers, but there's a scene in the book where the monstrumologist and his assistant investigate the aftermath of an attack by a monster - and well, even I (an adult) had difficulty going through the descriptions.]
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's a sequel, which I have yet to read. It's gotten some very high critical marks, as well.

Don
Old 04-23-2011, 03:05 AM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Where from ? Sounds excellent.......

(Not a kindler by the way, so Gut, Baen ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Where from ? Sounds excellent.......

(Not a kindler by the way, so Gut, Baen ?

For you specifically (since you have a Sony), it's available from them for $8.99. It's by Rick Yancy.

Don
Old 04-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
There's a sequel, which I have yet to read. It's gotten some very high critical marks, as well.

Don
It's possibly even better than the first, and grittier, darker (oh boy, darker). They spare little time jumping right into the thick of things as well, heading straight into the Canadian wilderness.

It's rare to find horror/adventure written with that kind of grace and style, yet fun and emotionally affecting. Definitely not for the squeamish, and I would hesitate to suggest it for readers under 14.

I have the third on pre-order. Oddly, despite both books being shortlisted for various literary prizes, they haven't been commercial successes. The second book only has like 18 reviews on Amazon, which is boggling considering how good it is.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #10
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Thanks so much for posting about this, as I rarely look at YA titles. I have been waiting for it to come down in price since you first posted, but with all the other rave reviews I finally cracked. (Well, it DID drop by $1.00 ). The only thing YA about it appears to be the narrator.

Anyway, I am really enjoying this. The writing is excellent, which is often hard to find in the horror genre.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

OtterBooks, I plan to get this right after I finish reading LeClezio novel I bought.

Don