Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
Binko
Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Is The Paperwhite Screen Degrading Over Time?

I've had my Paperwhite for almost a month now. I use it for one to three hours a day.

Like all Paperwhites it has some minor screen issues. There are dark and light areas at the bottom by the LEDs. Also there seems to be a very faint mottling effect across the screen, but you have to really focus to see it. All in all my screen is probably one of the better ones.

But now I'm starting to feel like it is slowly getting worse. The dark and light areas at the bottom seem more pronounced and the mottling effect seems more noticeable. It's possible that the screen layer that disperses the light is degrading as it ages. Or the LEDs may be emitting light in a slightly less regular pattern.

On the other hand, it's also possible that I'm simply imagining this effect due to all the forum posts and reviews that I've read. I may be more sensitive or critical than I was when the device first arrived.

I really love the concept of the light. It's wonderful to be able to read in dim or dark surroundings. Even in fairly bright ambient light the built in light helps increase contrast. But if there is any chance at all that the screen will degrade over time I'll send it back now. My window for returns is almost closed.

Has anybody else seen a noticeable change in their Paperwhite screen since they first bought it?
Binko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

My first replacement looked fairly good when I first got it but withing a few days it turned pretty bad.
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I've read in the threads here people who have had issues with the screen changing over time. This is one of my biggest concerns.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I noticed my screen seemed worse when reading on it last night, but I don't know if it's my mind playing tricks on me or what. Today it seemed alright, but it always seems fine in the day.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Mine looked really good when I got it, but a week later I ended up returning it because it started showing the colored splotches which looked horrible and were distracting.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I got mine on 10/10, and have not noticed any screen changes. I read on it 2-3 hours per day.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Well, considering the light diffusion layer is, according to Amazon, comprised of fine fiber optic strands weaved together by elves (don't quote me, I'm hazy on the details), I guess it's not crazy that if you keep touching it, that may exacerbate any flaws that were there from the start.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Well, considering the light diffusion layer is, according to Amazon, comprised of fine fiber optic strands weaved together by elves (don't quote me, I'm hazy on the details), I guess it's not crazy that if you keep touching it, that may exacerbate any flaws that were there from the start.
Elves gone bad. They must be descended from the evil elves Tolkien wrote about in The Silmarillion!

I've always heard of "ghosts in the works" so maybe Steve Jobs is having some fun.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
My PW screen is still good over the last 3 weeks.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Having just received a replacement, I can't say for sure but it's an interesting thought that they might degrade with constant tapping being applied. The best thing to do (for everyone, I would think is to photodocument as best you can what your screen looks like as soon as you get it (or now, if you haven't already) and then take an update pic week after week.

If these screens do seem to be degrading over time, Amazon might not be willing to exchange after 6 months without some proof.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Something is affecting my screen as well.
When I first got it, it had a section in the upper-middle that was pinkish. After a couple of days of intense use, it was gone. Then, a couple of days later, I noticed pink spots elsewhere on the screen.
Next day, the screen looked very even - and it has been like that since.

I am not sure what it is - but the screen seems affected by something - humidity, temperature, battery level? Who knows...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
My first replacement unit had holes and light issues, but no rainbow. The coloration appeared one or two days later. Today, I received one again. Paranoid as I am, I paid close attention when I set it up, and there were zero pink and green patches. By the time I was done setting it up, it had turned mostly green, with pink in it. I know I did not imagine this because I was paying extra attention, having gone through my share of replacement units.

In the beginning, I did not want to use any of them because I felt that they were not "mine" as long as I was still requesting replacements. Then when Amazon Andrew got in touch with me and told me to hold off on any more replacements while he was looking into the issue, I finally gave in and started using one of them to do extensive reading on. I have not noticed any degrading on that unit after putting it through many hours of reading per day. But it was very blotchy from the get go.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #13
Binko
Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Changes in the light dispersion layer could be caused by a lot of things besides the touch taps. Like vxf said above it could be temperature or humidity or who knows what.

It's obviously a very very thin layer of some kind of material that has to disperse the light from the bottom of the Kindle all the way to the top. It could turn out that this method of screen lighting is fundamentally flawed. The light dispersion layer could change after a few hundred hot and cold cycles, or after a few thousand taps or just as it ages.

My wife and I both sent our Paperwhites back today. It was very hard for me to do and I'm feeling somewhat depressed about it. But I just didn't feel like I can trust the screen. I was always peering at it to see if something had changed or something was wrong.

So back it went. My wife also has a Fire HD which she has no problem reading on. Perhaps I'll borrow that for a couple of long term reading sessions and see if it would suit me. I think, if it turns out that there is a backlash against the Paperwhite's lighting, it might be near the end of the line for eInk. Tablets are improving radically while eInk devices seem stuck.
Binko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:40 AM   #14
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Binko, I hope you are very very wrong about your e-ink prediction. I hate reading on my tablets.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:20 AM   #15
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I like the idea of more screen contrast and built in lighting very much. I am waiting for them to get the bugs out. I waited on my KB Kindle as well.

Now that I am comfortable with the old e-ink, I am still leery of "new" e-ink.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote