Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 02:24 AM   #1
thehumanking
thehumanking began at the beginning.

Device: none
I need an ebook reader to read PDF books

Hi,

I'm a little bit lost here, I live in Egypt and really have problem reading ebooks on my computer. My eyes hurt alot

I liked the E-Ink technology but I don't have access to stores that sell ebook readers. I will get it from the US through a friend, I will use it to read PDF books extensively. I will be transfering those from my PC to the ebook reader.

and I think I need the least glare on the ebook reader screen too.

What do you recommend I'm totally new to this and I don't have alot of money to waste. especially when 1 US Dollars worth 5.7 Egyptian Pounds
Thanks for help
Mick
thehumanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:49 AM   #2
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
It seems the best reader for PDFs are the ones with the larger screens, like the Kindle DX or the iPad. Neither of those, however, is cheap.

The 'affordable' e-readers (which I will randomly claim to be those that are within $200) are either 5" or 6", and by all accounts are not good for PDFs. The closest you can get to that is the Sony PRS-900 (i.e. The Daily Edition), which is a 7" touchscreen reader for $249.

PDFs themselves are a very poor format for ebooks. Technical documents maybe, but for ebooks, it is suggested you don't use PDFs. I'm not sure, however, how good the Daily may or may not be for PDF handling.

Personally, I went for the Barnes & Noble nook Wi-Fi soon after they launched it. At $149, it's a great deal for a fairly full-featured reader. Like most readers of this size, however, it's pretty horrible for PDF.

Conclusion: Don't use PDFs to read books.

Last edited by afa; 07-28-2010 at 02:51 AM.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 04:50 AM   #3
thehumanking
thehumanking began at the beginning.

Device: none
Actually, my main reading files are PDF. I don't have any other formats on my PC, and if it can't read PDFs then it's no use to me.
So Kindle DX will read PDFs with no problems at all?
thehumanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:10 AM   #4
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehumanking View Post
Actually, my main reading files are PDF. I don't have any other formats on my PC, and if it can't read PDFs then it's no use to me.
So Kindle DX will read PDFs with no problems at all?
It has a lousy pdf reader afaik. Most people with the DX and iPad don't recommend the DX for technical pdfs. It's either wait until early next year for the new products that are going to be announced by years end to be commercialized OR... iPad. o_o

GJMS
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote