Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 05:55 AM   #16
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
I'm not a 600 user, but used a 505 for nearly 2 years and now a 300 - both are supposed to have 6000-7000 page turn life for the battery. However, my understanding is that this is based upon the scenario of non-stop continuous page turning, which never happens in real life.
@Tazzers a bit of info to further clarify.

6000-7000 page turns does not mean you will go through 6000-7000 book pages. It means you have a chance of 6000-7000 screens of words. I use a large font and I might go through 8-9 screens before I get through one book page. So for me one 300 page book equates to around 2700 screens of information.

Just something to think about.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #17
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I have had issues similar to yours with my prs 900. I bought a new battery and everything is great now. But I will have to ask SONY for a refund of some sorts, as soon as I find some time to deal with it.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #18
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzers View Post
Concerning the wall charger. Can I buy any PSP wall charger and use it straight out of the box?
Yes you can.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #19
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Since my battery issue (separate post) I'm noticing sharply reduced battery life in my 900. I go from full-charge to 1 bar in a couple of days (with radio off). I only use the OEM 5V charger and I've tried removing the battery as well as a full discharge-then-charge cycle.

I'm becoming convinced I have a sad battery. Figure I'll buy a new one soon and be happy again.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #20
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
Quote:
Thanks AH, will look into the charging advice.

You may have misunderstood my question about disconnecting. I understand that you need to click the disconnect button as I was always able to do this prior to the recent software upgrade. Unfortunately the new software GUI does not load and therefore I cannot interface with the device.

Concerning the wall charger. Can I buy any PSP wall charger and use it straight out of the box?
Maybe I missed something, but why can't you launch Reader Library App. manually? If you mean that the icon to dismount the device is missing, it is because the app. does not "see" your reader.
Cheers,
kev
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 01:03 AM   #21
mikij
Connoisseur
mikij doesn't littermikij doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
As for the software I have resigned myself to having to figure out how to use other party software such as Calibre but I don't know how to create collections with it. I'm sure I'll figure that bit out though. My main concern is the apparent battery life.
Since the version 0.7.5 (or maybe 0.7.4), you can do it. Go to Device mode view, select a book, find the Collection column and enter the collection name you want.
Of course, it works also with tags, but this can be a little bit hard because when downloading metadata, you can finish with many unwanted tags (that happen to be interpreted as collections by Sony reader). So, you need to fix them before you upload a book to your device. I think there is an option to not download the tags somewhere in Preferences - plugins. I forgot in which option, there is a check box to not import tags. Search in the Forum, I'm sure you'll find it.
mikij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:35 AM   #22
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikij View Post
Since the version 0.7.5 (or maybe 0.7.4), you can do it. Go to Device mode view, select a book, find the Collection column and enter the collection name you want.
I've been using calibre since 0.5.x and it has always been great at creating collections, versions 0.7.0 to 0.7.4 did have a hitch in manual creation on the device, but automatic creation has always worked great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikij View Post
Of course, it works also with tags, but this can be a little bit hard because when downloading metadata, you can finish with many unwanted tags. ~~~ I think there is an option to not download the tags.
You are correct, I turned off the automatic downloading of tags from the time this feature was implemented. The option is under Preferences - Plugins - Metadata download plugins - select and customize each plugin one at a time and uncheck download tags.

By default collections are created by tags and series, but you can change that by going to the device interface plugin for Sony.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-01-2010 at 01:39 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #23
mikij
Connoisseur
mikij doesn't littermikij doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I've been using calibre since 0.5.x and it has always been great at creating collections, versions 0.7.0 to 0.7.4 did have a hitch in manual creation on the device, but automatic creation has always worked great.
I'm in readers since only three weeks, so it was new for me. And, yes, I forgot to mention the word Manual. I discovered it recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
You are correct, I turned off the automatic downloading of tags from the time this feature was implemented. The option is under Preferences - Plugins - Metadata download plugins - select and customize each plugin one at a time and uncheck download tags.

By default collections are created by tags and series, but you can change that by going to the device interface plugin for Sony.
I think this should become a Sticky. In my age, I forget sometimes the things when I don't use them often - you know: I set it once and then I forget.

mikij is offline   Reply With Quote