Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
josepinto
Connoisseur
josepinto began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 5320
Baen Books - can´t read them

Hi,

When I try to open Baen books form the cd copies at http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com the books don´t get open in epub reader but must be saved to disk.

Afterwards, after I opne the book using Firefox File/Open, I only see the TOC and not the actual text of the book.

To reproduce try for example this file:

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/2..._of_Honor.epub

Thanks for all the work already done.

José Pinto
josepinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Works fine for me using ADE for Windows. My guess is something in ePubReader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #3
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by josepinto View Post
Hi,

When I try to open Baen books form the cd copies at http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com the books don´t get open in epub reader but must be saved to disk.

Afterwards, after I opne the book using Firefox File/Open, I only see the TOC and not the actual text of the book.

José Pinto
Same here.

I am prompted to open or download file. Default is set to ADE. If I change to open with Firefox I get a download error as below.

If I save the file and then try to import it to Firefox, only the titles are displayed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EPUBReader_err.JPG
Views:	666
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	39958  
kenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:

José Pinto
I tried your example file and got the same result. FWIW, after I loaded the EPUB book into Sigl, and then resaved it doing nothing else, it worked fine in Firefox.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
josepinto
Connoisseur

Will try SIGIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I tried your example file and got the same result. FWIW, after I loaded the EPUB book into Sigl, and then resaved it doing nothing else, it worked fine in Firefox.
I will try resaving the books using Sigil. I am not happy to use this method beause I don´t want to install Sigil, as yet another program installed. Do you know if there is a portable version of Sigil?

If Baen books open after resaving in Sigil, perhaps the problem is formatting and we should contact Baen.

José Pinto
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since it works in ADE, the problem is with ePubCheck.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
Quote:
Hi,

José Pinto
Hi José, thanks for your feedback!

I checked what's going on with this epub. There are two different problems:

1. The download dialog opens because the webserver sends the wrong content-type for the epub. It sends "text/html", correct would be "content/epub+zip". When "text/html" is send, EPUBReader has no chance to handle the document, because Firefox tries to handle this content-type itself.

Many other webservers don't send the correct content-type and everything works fine. The reason is, that they send for example "application/x-zip" or "application/octet-stream", some just send no content-type. In this case EPUBReader is informed by Firefox about the download and has got chance to handle it.

2. If you open the ePub in EPUBReader and try to navigate, you see just blank pages. I checked the HTML-pages which are displayed and there seems to be problem with them. If you open them directly in Firefox, the same problem occurs, just a blank page is displayed. I had a short look at the pages to see, what's wrong with them, but couldn't find the problem. I'll check it later in more detail.
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Found the problem in the html-pages. In each header-section is the following line:

<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript"/>

For me this looks okay, but this line is the reason why Firefox displays just a blank page. If you change the line to the following, everything works fine:

<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript"></script>

Has anybody an idea why Firefox has a problem with this?

Interesting would be what Sigil does, when you save the epub.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:43 AM   #9
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelv View Post
Found the problem in the html-pages. In each header-section is the following line:

<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript"/>

For me this looks okay, but this line is the reason why Firefox displays just a blank page. If you change the line to the following, everything works fine:

<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript"></script>

Has anybody an idea why Firefox has a problem with this?

Interesting would be what Sigil does, when you save the epub.
Those lines do not exist in the Sigl generated version of the EPUB file. Of possible interest, is that neither Firefox nor Internet Explorer can render the HTML inside the original EPUB, but have no problem with the Sigl generated XHTML.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The W3C standard makes this statement:
If an element permits content (e.g., the div element) but an instance of that element has no content (e.g., an empty section), DO NOT use the "minimized" tag syntax (e.g., <div />).

It would seem that this syntax violates the standard and is unexpected in Firefox. It serves no purpose in the file and should be removed. why would you specify a null script? The minimized tag syntax is specific for items that have on content and must only be used for those forms.

I believe you should forward your findings to bain for correction. Both errors.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Another statement of interest in the standard guidelines.

If an element has an EMPTY content model DO use the minimized tag syntax permitted by XML (e.g., <br />). DO NOT use the alternative syntax (e.g., <br></br>) allowed by XML, since this may be unsupported by HTML user agents. Also, DO include a space before the trailing / and >.

Empty elements in the XHTML family include: area, base, basefont, br, col, hr, img, input, isindex, link, meta, and param.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:12 PM   #12
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I believe you should forward your findings to bain for correction. Both errors.
Dale
If he doesn't know how to fix the problem with the content type, here is a description (works on Apache):

- create a file with the name ".htaccess" with the following two lines:
AddHandler application/epub+zip .epub
AddType application/epub+zip .epub

- upload this file to the webserver to the directory, where the epubs are located or to the webserver root
Old 11-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #13
josepinto
Connoisseur

Unnecessary?

Quote:
If he doesn't know how to fix the problem with the content type, here is a description (works on Apache):

- upload this file to the webserver to the directory, where the epubs are located or to the webserver root
Hi,

Perhaps this will be unnecessary.
I do not know if the problem lies in Baen Books as a whole or only in the versions formatted for Baen Cds.

I try to download a book from Baen Free Library and it opened and reads correctly.

Test file:
http://www.webscription.net/SendFile...D=344&format=E

Perhaps the files formated for Baen Cds are older versions and new version are already better formated.

José Pinto
Old 11-24-2009, 09:56 PM   #14
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Quote:

I'm the guy hosting the CDs and I stumbled across this thread.

I knew you could add the mime type, but you saved me some time with Google.

I just added that to my htaccess file in the subdomain root. We can keep an eye on how it behaves.

As for the script tag... that's a question for Arnold at Webwrights.

-Joe
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:20 AM   #15
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
I'm the guy hosting the CDs and I stumbled across this thread.

I knew you could add the mime type, but you saved me some time with Google.

I just added that to my htaccess file in the subdomain root. We can keep an eye on how it behaves.
Great, thanks! I just tried to download it and it works without problems. Important: Please delete your Firefox cache before you try it again.