Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
del
del began at the beginning.

Device: iphone (still searching...)
Non-responsive touch in stores, problem for owners?

I've not found many references to this by searching, so will ask directly.

I've seen PRS-600 devices in stores in demo mode many times, and in all but one case on one visit the reader was non-responsive to touch and button input. Powering the reader off/on did not fix this. The display just went through its demo rotation inviting me to touch the screen to go to the home menu.

I'm certain that the exhibited units in stores are treated less kindly than most owned units. How often to owners of PRS-600 devices have them become unresponsive to touch and/or button input?

Is there a known problem in the demo mode, or the device itself?

Thanks for any insights.
del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's certainly never happened to me. I'd guess it's a demo-mode thing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My mom has a 600. No problem for her.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
FRKikos
FRKikos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Mine works fine too.
FRKikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Sometimes the touch might seem unresponsive, especially if you click with your finger pad. Mine has never ever been unresponsive to button input, and touch also works well and reliably when you get the hang of it.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I think the problem you encountered was because it was in demo mode. I've seen a few units where it was difficult to get out of demo mode so one could play around with the features.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
I've seen that problem in several stores before I bought my 600. Soon I learned to carry a paperclip with me when I went to evaluate them. It ALWAYS worked to reset them.

As with the others, I have never had such a problem.

I storngly believe that most of the ereaders were rushed out for Christmas. The Kindle, even tho I don't like it, may be an exception to this.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
I experienced the same non-responsiveness at several stores. I just figured they were set they way for display purposes, but didn't understand why the units indicated they could be used by touching the screen.

I have now had my PRS-600 for two months, and have never experienced a similar situation or problem. I love it!
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:44 AM   #9
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Yep, demo mode. I played with four different 600's at four different stores and they all were the same way: unresponsive. A simple reset and power on did the trick.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote