Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
us024077
us024077 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
e-textbooks

I am starting on a second career, and starting school next week to take a couple of prerequisite courses needed for my Master's program.

The local bookstore has my books for the following prices:

Book A - 120 new, 88 used
Book B - 135 new, 94 used

Now I can get electronic versions of these books for my COMPUTER:

Book A - 68 for 150 day license
Book B - 77 for 150 day license

Neither book is available for my Kindle DX (or any other e-reader).

Does this make sense? I would gladly pay the electronic verison price if I could use it on my Kindle.

So what is a resourceful student to do? Buy the books from Amazon sellers:

Book A - 54 new
Book B - 66 new

And then scan them into pdf files, and convert them for the Kindle. I hope the sell the books to other students the first day or so of class, maybe for half what I paid. Everybody wins.

When will textbook publishers learn to deal with the modern era? They seem to be dimmer than the music publishers.
us024077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
rwillmer
luzme.com
rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPhone, iPad
I'd be interested to know which these books are that aren't available. I've just added a pile of bookstores which are offering etextbooks in various formats, and it would be useful to know whether they'd show up anywhere.

Could you tell me please? Either PM me or just reply here.

Thanks
Rachel
rwillmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I sure wouldn't pay for a 150 day liscence. I buy the book I want it forever. I'd go with paper and the amazon sellers if you can't find it in ebook format. I was a chem major in grad school and I did an awful lot on margin anotation and equation solving in margins for computer versions, paper was really for my purposes better. That was 30 years ago and I still have them in my bookshelf.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
The 150 day license is like buying and selling a book. you could probably buy and sell the used book for a lot less than $60 of total cost.

the 150 day license looks like a bad deal. i dislike textbook makers. they insult our intelligence. if we r taking a course that requires that book, we are probably smart enough to realize what a good deal is!
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
bigtymer
bigtymer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Yeah I am gonna have to go with drofgnal on this one; stick with paper and hang on to them. If you are gonna be studying hard nothing beats paper. Quick annotations and highlighting are available to ebooks but for me easier to do with a pen rather than the keyboard on the Kindle. Also, if these books have diagrams or photos, color is essential. In addition to all that when discussing things having a page number to reference is nice.
bigtymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert