Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
kbarnsda
KBar
kbarnsda doesn't litterkbarnsda doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Fire, Amazon Kindle
Kindlel Fire.. Hidden Drop down menu from home screen

I have installed many apps... 2 of which are Quick Mute Volume control and Watchdog. From time to time, I kept accessing a "hidden" menu. I had no idea how I was doing this till tonight. I just kept touching everything trying to figure out what sequence activated it.

From the home screen, in the upper far left corner is the name of my Kindle, along with a grey circle and the number 2. When you touch this spot, a the home screen goes away and a quick access panel to these 2 programs glides down. This is very handy , especially for the quick mute app. 2 touches and all volumes go to zero.

My question.. How did I get these 2 apps installed in this "hidden menu".
Is there a name for this feature? How can I get more apps installed on this menu?
How can I remove them?

On the top of the menu in grey letters is the word "ONGOING" followed by
a golden #2. I assume this refers to the 2 apps that are running.

Up to now, the only way I knew of accessing the apps was to move them to my favorites section, and double tap them to execute them.

Thanks for info on this menu..

Last edited by kbarnsda; 11-30-2011 at 11:08 PM.
kbarnsda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that's where Amazon stuck the standard Android notifications bar. I was looking at the menu a little while ago and noticed that it said Notifications and had the normal Android Clear button.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 11:11 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnsda View Post
I have installed many apps... 2 of which are Quick Mute Volume control and Watchdog. From time to tome, I kept accessing a "hidden" menu, I had no idea how I was doing this till tonight. I just kept touching everything trying to figure out what sequence activated it.

From the home screen, in the upper far left corner is the name of my Kindle, along with a grey circle and the number 2. When you touch this spot, a the home screen goes away and a quick access panel to these 2 programs glides down. This is very handy , especially for the quick mute app. 2 touches and all volumes go to zero.

My question.. How did I get these 2 apps installed in this "hidden menu".
Is there a name for this feature? How can I get more apps installed on this menu?
How can I remove them?

On the top of the menu in grey letters is the word "ONGOING" followed by
a golden #2. I assume this refers to the 2 apps that are running.

Up to now, the only way I knew of accessing the apps was to move them to my favorites section, and double tap them to execute them.

Thanks for info on this menu..
That is call your Notifications Bar. All Android devices have them. It's where alerts, notifications and messages go. On my phone I have it to display the weather temp. You just swipe it down with your finger, at any time to access it or hit the top bar once. To get rid of of it hit the top bar again or back button. On my phone I can swipe it back up but I can't doesn't seem to do that on the Fire..

To answer your question about ongoing. It's developers who add the app to display on the Notification Bar. Screen Filter and WiFi Switch use this feature as well.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-30-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Oh, I thought it was normal... I use that menu ALL the time on my Fire!
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
kbarnsda
KBar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Oh, I thought it was normal... I use that menu ALL the time on my Fire!
Hello,
How do you use it? How do you get things on it? Is it described in any
of the RFTM files.. I have looked everywhere but cannot seem to
dislodge the information.

It now has changed to have yet another menu item... Notifications, with a gold #1 and Outgoing has increased to 5. I am not sure what I am doing to cause the change.

Sorry for my thickness. I know this holds some good useful information.

Thanks.
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 12:18 AM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnsda View Post
Hello,
How do you use it? How do you get things on it? Is it described in any
of the RFTM files.. I have looked everywhere but cannot seem to
dislodge the information.

It now has changed to have yet another menu item... Notifications, with a gold #1 and Outgoing has increased to 5. I am not sure what I am doing to cause the change.

Sorry for my thickness. I know this holds some good useful information.

Thanks.
It's a notification area. It's where you get your Messages, email alerts, missed calls, and app notifications. You can't put anything on it. Some developers have added to their app a feature that puts the app in the notification bar. When you install an app it will be put there till you click on it to open. The numbers are the amount of notification messages waiting for you to read or act on. If you hit clear all it will get rid of all messages except any apps running like Tune In Pro.

On my phone I use it to quickly access my text messages that my husband sends me. Think of it as Alert Center that keeps you alert to any messages or actions you need to do. Or Think of it as a System tray in Windows on a PC. It's like that.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:05 AM   #7
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Basically you can install software, either from the Amazon marketplace or by opening an .apk file from a freeware site etc. As soon as it is downloading it will appear in the notifications bar.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
kbarnsda
KBar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's a notification area. It's where you get your Messages, email alerts, missed calls, and app notifications. You can't put anything on it.

Brilliant!... You should be a teacher. Thank you. (and others as well)

I must say that I am a little disappointed that I cannot select the apps that I want there. I will figure a way around it. That is too handy an area to clutter up or not be used to its potential.

I suppose what I have is a hunger for is some sort of book (like Norton used to be for DOS) that is full of nuggets. I want to disable that horrible carousel.... get rid of the clutter...make my own menu system etc.

All I know is a little C, a smattering of Cobol and a tad of Assembler and of course Basic from another ancient time period.

I am also new to Android things having sold my soul to Apple after the first Ipod came to market.

There is a huge potential for someone to spruce up this delightful machine... IMHO.