Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-20-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
FowlOleRon
FowlOleRon began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq 3870
Availability in the UK

Will it ever be available offically in the UK ? or should i look into ebay.

Much as i like the idea of some of the other offerings, the Sony does come in at the (magic) £200 mark. A little fast talking should persuade my significant other to let me spend some money !!
FowlOleRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
Yes it is coming to the UK very soon. Don't expect it to be cheap.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The rumour mill has it due about June or so. You can, however, easily enough buy it from the US - that's what a number of us here have done.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #4
FowlOleRon
FowlOleRon began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq 3870
Thanks,

Ebay it is then.

The thought of waiting until June would kill me, it was bad enough knowing it had come out in the states.
FowlOleRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:22 AM   #5
Tenkian
Enthusiast
Tenkian began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I was in the same position as you. eBay prices are high at the moment as i looked there. I ordered mine from bh photo video and it cost me £205 after currency conversion. Then I had to pay £60 import

Still, I bet it will be £300+ if it comes out over here.
P.S. just buy one now, its brilliant!
Tenkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Definitely agreed. I've had mine for about 3 months now. Absolutely wonderful machine. Don't buy one if being able to view A4 PDFs is a big deal for you (it's not good at that!), but for reading fiction it's superb.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:55 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I think there is one drawback when you buy it in the USA. If it breaks down, you can throw it away
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just means you have to post it back to be fixed. Probably a good idea to be careful with it, though - it seems pretty robust .
Old 02-21-2007, 12:07 PM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Just means you have to post it back to be fixed. Probably a good idea to be careful with it, though - it seems pretty robust .
Robust or not, sh*t happens. Posting it back to the B&H photovideo will cost a fortune. So, if someone is patient enough to wait until it appers here it is the best way. I was not patient enough though.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:45 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat
So, if someone is patient enough to wait until it appers here it is the best way. I was not patient enough though.
Yes I agree with you. I'm not patient enough either. As Oscar Wilde said, the only to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it .
Old 02-21-2007, 02:36 PM   #11
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I heard over the weekend from a contact in Sony that at the price they're thinking of it'll still be cheaper to import.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:22 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim8fury
I heard over the weekend from a contact in Sony that at the price they're thinking of it'll still be cheaper to import.
What do you mean? They suggest that buying it in the USA for 350$ + 41$ shipping fee + £50 tax, is going to be cheaper than the internal price??

Last edited by astra; 02-22-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:49 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If they do the usual $350 = £350, that would certainly be the case.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:04 PM   #14
ultim8fury
Addict

I did try and make the point that paying £350 for it is asking too much. I was told that it will be priced as high as the market will take.

I came back with - that'll be £250 max because otherwise people will just import.

This of course brings to mind why Lik-sang closed its doors.