Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Unhappy Help! Is my problem the K1 or it's charger (wall)

So, due to stuff going on, my K1 hasn't been used in a couple weeks. Maybe 2 weeks ago? So it's been waiting patiently, plugged in, next to my bed. I grabbed it today because I had some time to read and also to download whatever freebies I've grabbed since last time I downloaded (I usually leave the cell connection off).

At first I didn't notice a problem. Then I flipped the switch to turn the wireless connection on within seconds the battery meter went from near full to near empty. That is also when I noticed that even though it was still plugged in, I didn't have the thunderbolt signal showing and no amber light showing it was charging next to the plug.

Since then I tried restarting. No go. Powered off using switch on back and then back on. No go. Tried a different outlet (power strip) in a different room. Nope. Tried the USB cable along with my iPhone 3GS usb/power adapter and then a Macally wall/usb power adapter that I had around a few years ago for a sandisk mp3 player. Didn't work either. The only time I'm getting an amber light showing charging is when the K1 is plugged directly into my PC. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have any other AC adapters that are the size of the one for the K1. All my AC adapters for cameras, usb hubs, etc., are too big.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Any AC adapters I can pick up at Radio Shack to see if I can get this thing to charge other than off my PC?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:02 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
you should be able to get some sort of charger to work. I'd also try customer support to see if they may have an idea... something seems rather odd
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I have a friend with a K1 who is going to bring his charger into work tomorrow so I can try his charger. I posted on the Amazon Kindle boards also and on their suggestions also tried the hard reset on my K1. No change. So I also ordered a replacement battery to try. Hopefully it's either charger or battery and not my K1's internals.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
texasnightowl
Guru

Well, looks like the culprit is in fact the charger. My friend brought his K1 and charger into work today. Started with the easiest thing which was trying his charger and bingo! Amber light is on. So, guess I'll keep the battery that is arriving tomorrow just in case and go order the replacement charger.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
You might find your charger works once you charge the Kindle. I have problems when I let it run all the way down, and usually have to charge it for awhile before it acts normal again. But a new battery is a good thing - when I changed my year old battery, it really gave my K1 new life!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 03:43 AM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
My charger recently quit on me, too. Luckily my husband also has one so it was easy to verify.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote