Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 11:53 PM   #1
Coreman
Coreman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Really Hacked at ebookstore

I've had my PRS-600 since Oct 2009. I have Win XP laptop and successfully downloaded (15) books between Oct 2009 and April 2010. Then in April 2010, I get a (-441) error, which is a Connection Error, even though I have access to internet and ebookstore. At any rate, the paid books won't complete the download. I call Sony Help (from Beijing, China) and spend ~30 minutes on the line going through everything...I can download free books through the ebookstore, just can't download the paid books. The guy says there's a problem on their end and try again around (4) hours later. I do so and voila, I download my books.

So yesterday I ordered another book and wouldn't you know it, the same thing happened again...get the (-441) error and can't download the book. Try the Chat room but again they send me to Sony Ebookstore in US...spend 45 minutes on the line explaining what happened in April and went through all the same things. I repeatedly told the guy that during the April fix something was done on their side, either to the bookstore or to my account.

At one point during the troubleshooting he had me delete a "Sony Corporation" file on my computer and it removed all my books from my library and my reader. The folder didn't even go into my Recycle bin so I couldn't restore...but he didn't tell me that what he was doing was going to wipe my ereader, I thought it was just a folder the Ereader creates whenever it connects...like a temporary folder.

He said, "Dont Worry, you can download them again". WTF? Buddy, I can't even download the one book I just bought! Plus I lost my bookmarks in the (2) books I was reading. So he tried to help me import the books from "My Books" under My Documents. However not all of my books were there...the (2) books I was reading weren't in there...

So I tried a different Win XP computer in my house, downloaded the Reader software but same problem remains so I know it isn't my computer. The funny thing is the thumbnails of the book covers don't appear on the Purchased Books page (under My Account) although everything else displays normally. Instead of thumbnails, blue question marks ("?") are shown. So there is a connection issue within the ereader software...and in April it was fixed on Sony's side...

Any suggestions on how to connect? I also have iMac at home so I am going to try the Mac OS version of Reader Software to see if I can connect.

Sorry for the long post...
Coreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I can't help you there as I have never been able to buy from Sony due to the geo restrictions. I can get the freebies but can't buy any books.Hope someone will come along shortly who can help you.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 03:45 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I remember seeing this -441 error before in the forum.

Here is one thread that I found.

Maybe something changed with your adobe file association?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
Coreman

Okay...here's an update, just logged into ebookstore and downloaded all of my books plus the new one I bought yesterday. Then I bought (3) more without issue...and then bought (1) more, and lost connection again to the download center. I must stress that the only place I lose connection is to the Sony bookstore download center, I have zero problems connecting to all other websites so something funny is going on at the Sony Download and it isn't my computer or my internet connection...

Thanks for the replies so far...
Old 05-31-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
Coreman

Final Update...ran into the problem again and determined it was because I was downloading from China IP address. Used VPN connection outside China and everything immediately worked fine...so Sony Bookstore downloader has some kind of block to China IP addresses because there isn't an issue with the Google free books (AFAIK). The funny thing is Sony sells eBook readers for purchase in China...one would think the Bookstore would be similar.

I should restate that this problem just started in March of 2010 so it seems to me that Sony did something on their side to stop illegal downloads that caused problems with legal downloads.
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 11:33 PM   #6
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It wouldn't be geo restrictions would it?
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote