Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Reader quitely died in it's sleep.

Had my reader quite low on battery, but put it aside waiting for new cover and wanting to discharge it fully (it was still on the first charge) to calibrate battery meter.
Today received the cover, turned reader and nothing. Connected to charge it - still nothing - no lights no activity. Waited an hour - still more nothing.
Granted the usb connector looks kinda flimsy, so I can not be 100% sure what is going on with charging.
Anybody have an idea what else I can do, before calling tech support?
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
If it's anything like the DR1000, try getting a mains wall charger, leave it plugged in for an hour or 2 and try again.
By the way you should not try and fully discharge Lion batteries, unlike Nicads, it doesn't do them any good. Frequent partial charges are fine for Lion in general.
pthwaite is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
hold the on/off switch in the off position for a long time (10+ seconds), you'll get an orange light... keep it connected to the charger and it will (should) start after a few minutes.
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
It doesn't hurt to open the battery door to make sure the battery wire is still connected. Someone reported it to be loose.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli View Post
hold the on/off switch in the off position for a long time (10+ seconds), you'll get an orange light... keep it connected to the charger and it will (should) start after a few minutes.
Thank you, that did the trick.
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
I had this problem too two weeks ago, and used the same trick to reset it.

It seems to be a design problem: the LED is completely controlled by the software. But when the battery is completely empty, the device shut down, like in this case, or when it first arrived, then the user cannot see the device is being charged.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
I had this problem too two weeks ago, and used the same trick to reset it.

It seems to be a design problem: the LED is completely controlled by the software. But when the battery is completely empty, the device shut down, like in this case, or when it first arrived, then the user cannot see the device is being charged.
I'm not sure it's really a design problem, per say. But the manual should be more clear that if the device is fully off, you won't get a charge light and it needs a long press of the power switch to do the initial boot up. Normally, it should never be fully off unless your battery has completely run out.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
CoolDragon
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I'm not sure it's really a design problem, per say. But the manual should be more clear that if the device is fully off, you won't get a charge light and it needs a long press of the power switch to do the initial boot up. Normally, it should never be fully off unless your battery has completely run out.
Be clear on the manual is one way to improve the user experience.

However, from a professional hardware/firmware/chip designer's point of view, this is simply a design flaw/bug. If you have ever designed even a simple embedded system, you will know it cost almost nothing to have both the hardware and the software control these LEDs.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
However, from a professional hardware/firmware/chip designer's point of view, this is simply a design flaw/bug. If you have ever designed even a simple embedded system, you will know it cost almost nothing to have both the hardware and the software control these LEDs.
True, but a full power off is not a normal condition of the device.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
CoolDragon
Addict

Quote:
That's why I call this a flaw/bug: corner cases will really show the quality of any hardware/software design.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
That's why I call this a flaw/bug: corner cases will really show the quality of any hardware/software design.
It depends on how you look at it. Given unlimited resources, yes, designing for all possible cases is great. But in reality, especially with smaller teams, how much time should you really be spending designing/developing for cases that are not normal conditions. Is this really that big of a problem, or would just a note in the manual stating that if the battery completely dies you'll need to hold the power switch after you start charging it before the LED indication comes on, be sufficient. I don't look at it as a design flaw, but rather a priority choice of how to spend your resources.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:14 AM   #12
dmikov
Addict

Quote:
Oh yes it is. If I am going on vacation, I am taking my 5" reader. So if the IREX battery goes down while I am away it's only to be expected. You don't really expect anybody to charge appliances they are not taking with them do you?
BTW I have empty batteries once every month. I don't put book down in the interesting place unless something will make me.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #13
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
Oh yes it is. If I am going on vacation, I am taking my 5" reader. So if the IREX battery goes down while I am away it's only to be expected. You don't really expect anybody to charge appliances they are not taking with them do you?
Yes, you definitely have a point there. I just meant that it's not a condition that should be encountered during normal use. If it sits unused long enough that the batteries do drain, it just means that you won't get an LED after connecting the charger until you flip the power switch to boot it back up. IMO, not really a big deal. If that's the biggest problem we have to deal with, I'd be pretty happy.

Quote:
BTW I have empty batteries once every month. I don't put book down in the interesting place unless something will make me.
It's actually not good for the batteries to let them drain completely before recharging. Your batteries will last a lot longer if you can keep them topped up as much as possible, rather than let them go through a full charge/discharge cycle every time.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #14
penartur
Groupie
penartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the rough

Device: PRS500 (great UX and BQ), DR800SG (great screen and features)
I believe that irex shuts itself down from standby if there is less than some percentage of charge left... so the battery will not be completely empty unless one is going on vacation for a couple of years. Self-discharge of Li-Ion batteries is negligible.
Anyway, one will face such problems with any type of Li-Ion based device. If Li-Ion battery is self-discharged to a "completely empty" level and a bit deeper, it will die, because battery controller will have no power to work (and, particularly, charge the cells).
penartur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by penartur View Post
I believe that irex shuts itself down from standby if there is less than some percentage of charge left... so the battery will not be completely empty unless one is going on vacation for a couple of years.
True, but there's more to it than just discharging to completely empty. Li-Ion batteries don't usually like big recharge cycles. Keeping them topped off is a lot better for them than letting them get down to 10% (or whatever the cutoff is) and then recharging from there every time. The farther you have to bring the charge back up, the harder it is on the battery. It won't damage it immediately, but it effects your overall battery life expectancy.