Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #16
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
John,

I appreciate your effort at displaying how obtuse a process it is to determine how many pages are left in a chapter and return in the current firmware. Please appreciate just how ridiculous the need to know that is on a device that resumes from precisely where you left it, so you can begin reading there with little or no effort applied... making resuming very simple. Is there some requirement to know how many pages are left on a device that will happily hold your place and resume from anywhere one might stop?

Did you rail about how paper books required that you memorize where you left off, failed to allow you to zoom the text to fit your needs, couldn't search for phrases, would have been completely unmanageable in terms of transportation of a library that could easily shame any complete bookstore's contents, and so forth and so on that we now take for granted?

I'm just trying to make the point that we tend to get a little hung up on very minor "requirements" while handily ignoring all the benefits and spending not a moment considering the necessity of tradeoffs in most things, none of which would make you sell your device and buy another... Granted, we all want more, and nothing is ever perfect, but ebook readers in their own ways are so far superior to paper books on so many divergent fronts that I'm beginning to think about the only horizons left are color displays, possibly looking and smelling like books, and stripping selected content and dumping it directly to a text editor for quotations when referencing a work in a paper one might write...

Last edited by TechniSol; 12-13-2012 at 09:52 PM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #17
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hey .. I have both KPW and KG.. the KOBO Glo kicks Kindle PaperWhites Butt Up and Down...
No Contest.. just my 5 cents..
Doug

Last edited by MrDoug; 12-15-2012 at 10:04 AM.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #18
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
John,

I appreciate your effort at displaying how obtuse a process it is to determine how many pages are left in a chapter and return in the current firmware. Please appreciate just how ridiculous the need to know that is on a device that resumes from precisely where you left it, so you can begin reading there with little or no effort applied... making resuming very simple. Is there some requirement to know how many pages are left on a device that will happily hold your place and resume from anywhere one might stop?

Did you rail about how paper books required that you memorize where you left off, failed to allow you to zoom the text to fit your needs, couldn't search for phrases, would have been completely unmanageable in terms of transportation of a library that could easily shame any complete bookstore's contents, and so forth and so on that we now take for granted?

I'm just trying to make the point that we tend to get a little hung up on very minor "requirements" while handily ignoring all the benefits and spending not a moment considering the necessity of tradeoffs in most things, none of which would make you sell your device and buy another... Granted, we all want more, and nothing is ever perfect, but ebook readers in their own ways are so far superior to paper books on so many divergent fronts that I'm beginning to think about the only horizons left are color displays, possibly looking and smelling like books, and stripping selected content and dumping it directly to a text editor for quotations when referencing a work in a paper one might write...
Just because pbooks have deficiencies in some areas, doesn't mean we should "settle" for the deficiencies of ebook readers in other areas.

In particular,

Quote:
... but ebook readers in their own ways are so far superior to paper books on so many divergent fronts that I'm beginning to think about the only horizons left are color displays, possibly looking and smelling like books, and stripping selected content and dumping it directly to a text editor for quotations when referencing a work in a paper one might write. ...
I guess it is a matter of differing opinions, then. I think there is still much room for improvement in getting a stable fiction ereader, never mind some of the superfluous stuff like library management, annotations, social stuff, ...

And one person's view of "minor "requirement"" is another person's "bug" or "how could they possibly implement that in such a difficult to use manner".
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #19
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

John,

A bug is something that has been implemented by design, but does not function properly. A "feature" you'd like that is not implemented, or is not implemented the way you'd like it, or think it could or should have been done is not a bug. Disappointing to you perhaps, but not a bug.

Feature creep is the biggest danger to any product because once you get past a certain point it becomes so complex, convoluted, and intertwined that debugging is nearly impossible or simply so labor intensive that it becomes impractical.

As an engineer, soft, hard, or both, you have to deal with practical limits such as memory size, code space, variable storage, other people's code(Ugh!), other features which have been assessed as having higher priority often by persons completely unsuited to make such decisions practically, etc. Little niggling details like how many pages are left in the chapter, the book, the series, the universe become a bit ridiculous to consider. Engineering can often be best expressed as the act of packing 10 lbs of foot into a 5 lb sock while still maintaining a functioning foot. Woe be unto he who taunts said foot, as he will find himself kicked twice as hard in the seat of his pants...

Yes, you're correct, it's a matter of opinion. What you're wrong about is thinking that everyone's opinion should count the same. No one ever engineered a product by democratic consensus. Well, certainly not a product worth having, making, or attaching one's career or name.

I like features too. I love cool hacks and stuff you'd never think of, but find you can't imagine living without once you've tried it. But, there must be limits.

Now, all that said, if it was my pet project I'd set things up so that touching the top half of the center of the screen while reading would bring up a dialog that showed various details about the book like the book title, chapter title, author, summary, ISBN, current page number, pages left in the chapter, time, date, etc. that was user configurable from a list of possible choices offered in a setup page. However, I'm not the guy with a 2 foot crowbar trying to open a 6 foot wide door who has to get all that crappola into working code space whilst weighing the relative merits of what other features on the working list might be better suited or more highly valued by the greatest number of consumers while trying to ignore the marketing guys who know more than the poor sucker paid to make sure the rubber hits the road, all while staying within a budget designed by wide eyed optimists who apparently figure everyone but them should work 25 hours a day, 8 days a week on minimal salary and be happy about it because the more they work, the less free time they'll have, so look at all that expensive leisure time we can save those poor peons. Yeah, been there, done that, and the things I've been tempted to do with that crowbar! 'Nuff said?

Last edited by TechniSol; 12-15-2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:36 AM   #20
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
How about putting that 10 lb foot in the 6 foot door?
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #21
TechniSol

Hey, I said it was a 2 FOOT crowbar...
Old 12-19-2012, 12:50 AM   #22
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
My experience with Kobo has only been absolutely positive.

I use it just as it came. I don't go in search of updates, I don't install plugins, I don't let Calibre connect to it.

While I sympathize with those who experience issues, I can't help but wonder how many of them are self-inflicted.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote