Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Old news but good news

Hi everyone,

I was surfing around for some reading recommendations, and ran across Time's list of the 100 greatest all-time English-language novels from 1923-2005:

http://www.time.com/time/2005/100boo...lete_list.html

While I'm sure this was likely posted here when it first came out (2005), I thought it might be worth posting again, given that there's a lot of good content, and it's still timely (after all, how many books released in the last 3 years would make this list?).

If nothing else, it might generate some good discussion...while I agree with most books on the list, there are some missing that I might like to see on there....what about you guys?
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
PsyDocJoanne
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Feh. I realized I probably should have said what I thought was missing.

Two of these are excluded, I'm sure, because of when they were published. But I'm going to include them on my list, anyway...

1) Heart of Darkness (Joseph Conrad, 1902)
2) Siddhartha (Herman Hesse, 1922)
3) Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)
4) Dune (Frank Herbert)
5) In Cold Blood (Truman Capote)
Old 10-08-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Gee, I've only read 5 (7 if you count LoTR as 3 books) of these. I guess I'm not very well read. I guess I've got to get to work. I've also started but not finished 3 of them.

Hmm....

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #4
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Arghhhh!! I HATE, DESPISE, DETEST AND ABHOR!!!

"Possession" by A. S. Byatt.

Being reminded of its existence turns a good day bad.

Some of the other suggestions are ok though .
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
PsyDocJoanne

I just did a count. I've read 22 of them, which isn't bad...but I've got quite a ways to go myself. Bob, we should pick one and read it together
Old 10-08-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
I just did a count. I've read 22 of them, which isn't bad...but I've got quite a ways to go myself. Bob, we should pick one and read it together
Ok. I've wanted to read Slaughterhouse-5, Catch-22, and Lord of the Flies, and more but never got to them. Any of those interest you?

Although I would want to finish Mars Girl first... which I just started.

BOb
Old 10-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
PsyDocJoanne

Hmmm.....those three are on my already-read list...but you could probably convince me to do Catch-22 again along with you....that one's in my personal top 5 of all time...

Could I maybe sell you on Tropic of Cancer or A Passage to India?
Old 10-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
PsyDocJoanne

Oh, and BTW, I need to finish Wicked first. I'm about 1/3 of the way through.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hmmm.....those three are on my already-read list...but you could probably convince me to do Catch-22 again along with you....that one's in my personal top 5 of all time...

The latter looks interesting, bonus its 3.95 for the Kindle. I couldn't even understand the Times review of ToC, how would I understand the book.

BOb
Old 10-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #10
PsyDocJoanne

>I couldn't even understand the Times review of ToC, how would I understand the book.

Somehow I don't think that's true, but....

Let's do A Passage to India, then...it's only $4.58 on Fictionwise.

Maybe I'll start a post and see if anyone else is interested in reading along....
Old 10-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Let's do A Passage to India, then...it's only $4.58 on Fictionwise.

Maybe I'll start a post and see if anyone else is interested in reading along....
k. I'll let you know when I'm ready to start it.

BOb
Old 10-08-2008, 07:01 PM   #12
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
I've read 9 of them (what hey? Under the Volcano? Had to read that during a philosophy seminar in the Yucatan penninsula 30 years ago...) and pieces of 3 or 4 others. I guess it's a start.
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:23 PM   #13
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I've read 10 of the list, but I'm not overly impressed with the list. No Twain, no Tolstoy, no Balzac, no serious S/F (except PKD's Ubik, which wasn't even his best work), and no Voltaire....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #14
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Well, I have read 47 of this list. However... some of the books On this list I would not recommend to anyone. Catch-22 is a beauty...
Love many of the books here....... The Sound and the Fury is excellent..but start with Part IV..then go back to Parts I, II and then III..makes the boos much easier to read.

Pynchon on the list...Ugh... Not sure if that was a good idea. But this is an American list fo great reads...

Quote:

hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #15
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I've read 10 of the list, but I'm not overly impressed with the list. No Twain, no Tolstoy, no Balzac, no serious S/F (except PKD's Ubik, which wasn't even his best work), and no Voltaire....
"English language novels published anywhere in the world since 1923, the year that TIME Magazine began"

By "ALL-TIME" they mean "all of Time Magazine's history".

I was surprised to see I'd read 13 of them (maybe 12, as I can't remember which Pynchon novel I read as an early teen'. I would suggest my comprehension of it was limited, resulting in the corresponding limited memory).

Books I haven't read that are on the list, but which I would like to, are The Grapes of Wrath, To Kill A Mocking Bird, The Blind Assassin, Infinite Jest & Watchmen. There are others on the list, but I've listed the above as they are specific books I want to read, as opposed to authors that I'd eventually like to read (eg. Virginia Woolf, Cormac McCarthy).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote