Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #46
md02439
Enthusiast
md02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheese

Device: M92 black
Booxtor I have two suggestions

1) Make the TOC collapsible like in PB
2) The iRex DR1000 (2.0 RC3 firmware) has a very useful toolbar at the bottom of the screen, where you can select some often used tools (like annotate, search, delete annotation) without having to go through all the menus. That would be a perfect addition to the M92 especially if it is configurable. I attach an image where this toolbar is shown.

When will the new batch of M92's arrive?

md02439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #47
peterx
Connoisseur
peterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enough

Device: M92
Better Scribble Application

I am unsatisfied with the scribble application. I would like to modify it, but sadly, it is not free software (or is it?). Is there some similar free scribble application that uses Qt, and thus only minor modifications would be needed?

The features I would like include the following:
  • Scribbles are simply named by creation date and time
  • Switch pen and eraser and thickness without going into the menu
  • Easily switch pages like in a real notebook
  • Export (or simply save) the files as PNG or SVG
  • (actually self-evident) Proper calibration

Such an application is not too complicated and seems doable in a few days, if it does not yet exist.
peterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #48
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acryde View Post
I'm pretty disappointed, is there a reader that you would recommend (Kindle DXG, Pocketbook 912, Asus DR900, Ectaco Jetbook color...)?

And is your opinion shared by others?
Right now I would say Ectaco, but this is not even available?
Opinion shared by others. Right now these kind of readers are simply niche products - bought by desperates ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #49
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
What would be the best platform in your opinion? (Mine: Android)
What are the tools and the features that would make an ereader a good "professional tool"?
Obviosly Android. As mentioned there the Entourage Edge. They had plenty of problems - and only Android 1.5.

First and foremost: annotation in PDFs, clipboard manager(multiple clipboard entries), wordprocessor, database(notes application) - plus easy switching between tasks.
"Professional" users cannot be satisfied by a rudimentary annotation function. You have to extract text, send somewhere, change texts, look up words easily in dictionary, search in an encyclopedia.
All of this you have already on Android. Except for the displays. PB and Onyx simply do not have the capacity to develop this.
There is a fantastic PDF-reader Mantano for Android.If you follow the discussions here on this forum, you get an idea what kind of effort is needed just for one single program to make it work.
In a couple of months there will be more 9.7" readers available, mostly color.
As with the other color devices they will probably use Android.
There is no need to invent the wheel again and again when it is already rolling comfortably elsewhere.
I guess there is only one option right now: waiting ...
Old 01-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #50
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
In a couple of months there will be more 9.7" readers available, mostly color.
As with the other color devices they will probably use Android.
I wouldn't count on it. I've contacted and ordered a sample E920 by Hanvon (in Beijing) and still there is no answer. They seem to just ignore my messages and direct inquiries
In Europe (Germany) the Hanvon is planning to close their ereader branch.
Pocketbook is planning to present this year a new ereader with Triton but there is still no prototype.

Quote:
There is no need to invent the wheel again and again when it is already rolling comfortably elsewhere.
For active people waiting is no option. And 9,7" devices are mostly buyed by active people, who is not only reading but also working with their e-documents.

It is better to be active and at least to share some ideas (like the people in posts above), what could be done to improve the world, than wait till someone else it does, I think..
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #51
Federico F.
Federico F. began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
General help - hope it's not OT

Hello, first off thanks Booxtor for all your work on the forum, as a customer I really appreciate it.

Now the boring part: I have some newbie questions in respect to well, almost everything e-book related. The most pressing ones are:

1) How do I install the firmware? and how long does it take?
2) What is the better way of organising the content on the M92? can i just create folders & subfolders directly like I would do on the PC? Or is it better to go through Calibre (and is Calibre able to create folders & subfolders?)?

These are just my initial questions, but I'm sure more will follow shortly . Thanks for your support!
Federico F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #52
Floghi
Floghi began at the beginning.

Device: M92 onyx boox
Hello,
hmm i have a question concerning languages availabilities..
Could M92's owner try to select french language?

On mine it's stay in English.. and Onyx's support said me 'All is ok, try again you must miss something -_-'
I cant miss something when i just must select a radio button..

Thanks !
Cu
Floghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #53
Backi
Connoisseur
Backi has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: PB912 Matt White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backi View Post
I wonder, whether PocketBook hesitates to bring out a better (in terms of CPU, display, ...) 9.7" device, because they are working on a reader with a color display?
It would explain, why they have no interest in the E-ink Pearl display.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Pocketbook is planning to present this year a new ereader with Triton but there is still no prototype.
I guessed that too. I found a blog entry (section "Special features") from a Frankfurt Book Fair 2011 visitor, where it says, that PocketBook plans to bring out a color ereader this summer.

Quote:
For active people waiting is no option. And 9,7" devices are mostly buyed by active people, who is not only reading but also working with their e-documents.

It is better to be active and at least to share some ideas (like the people in posts above), what could be done to improve the world, than wait till someone else it does, I think..
Somewhere you are right. I can't wait, but I also don't want to be a beta tester, especially for Onyx. I guess they have no quality assurance/regression testing, because instead of fixing old bugs they produce(d) new ones.

Considering the software part, I think PocketBook is further. I don't really want to know, how outdated the M92 would become, when Onyx gets to the point, where PocketBook is now with its 9xx models considering PocketBook's firmware. Onyx has a device with very good hardware, but can't really exploit its full potential with their firmware. Book managing (organizing, favorits, ...) is rudimentary on the M92, translating and menu navigation are cumbersome, all M92 can do at the best so far is displaying pages.
A new, faster (not necessarily color) ereader from PocketBook will overtop Onyx.

Last edited by Backi; 01-12-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Backi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #54
Beryll Snyder
Banned

Quote:

No idea what you could possibly mean.
Seems to me you mix up activity with impatience.
Scientists were inactive before the invention of ereaders? People want this kind of readers because reading on a PC is hard on the eyes for most people. I have to work with PDFs daily, I can work wonderfully with Vista. Everything almost perfect as far as software goes. Android meanwhile has it all. Problem is the display.

What is the use of sharing ideas that are actually already working on other platforms?
In my opinion it is the responsibility of software developers to first look around and find out how other software performs. Then improve it.

On PB as well as Onyx devices you can only read and make some annotations - maybe play sudoku - that's that.
All the suggestions will end in a dead alley because the wrong software platform is used.
We are talking here not just about improvements but implementing basic functions.
I have waited for more than one year, I probably will have to wait another one - actively, not impatiently.
Impatience is not the appropriate mood for buying decisions.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #55
Beryll Snyder
Banned

Quote:
A new, faster (not necessarily color) ereader from PocketBook will overtop Onyx.
Possibly - but in the meantime they might be topped by others - just a very wild guess of course.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #56
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico F. View Post
Hello, first off thanks Booxtor for all your work on the forum, as a customer I really appreciate it.

Now the boring part: I have some newbie questions in respect to well, almost everything e-book related. The most pressing ones are:

1) How do I install the firmware? and how long does it take?
2) What is the better way of organising the content on the M92? can i just create folders & subfolders directly like I would do on the PC? Or is it better to go through Calibre (and is Calibre able to create folders & subfolders?)?

These are just my initial questions, but I'm sure more will follow shortly . Thanks for your support!
Hi,

1)
  • just copy the firmware file to your SD Card
  • Put the SD Card into your M92
  • Connet it to the charger
  • Switch off the device
  • Hold the OK (right) button pressed and switch the device on
  • Update information appears on the screen (in the status line)
  • Wait untill your device is updated (ca 10 min)
  • Dont switch off the device while updating
  • After updating the device will restart and a black start screen appears - just click the power button once.
That's it

2) Better you try and figure it out. I dont use calibre and just create folders and subfolders. May be you will prefer another way...
Old 01-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #57
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
I guessed that too. I found a blog entry (section "Special features") from a Frankfurt Book Fair 2011 visitor, where it says, that PocketBook plans to bring out a color ereader this summer.

Somewhere you are right. I can't wait, but I also don't want to be a beta tester, especially for Onyx. I guess they have no quality assurance/regression testing, because instead of fixing old bugs they produce(d) new ones.

Considering the software part, I think PocketBook is further. I don't really want to know, how outdated the M92 would become, when Onyx gets to the point, where PocketBook is now with its 9xx models considering PocketBook's firmware. Onyx has a device with very good hardware, but can't really exploit its full potential with their firmware. Book managing (organizing, favorits, ...) is rudimentary on the M92, translating and menu navigation are cumbersome, all M92 can do at the best so far is displaying pages.
When you remember just one year ago as PB started to sell his new 6xx/9xx devices there was a big groaning here about quality issues of their software. About 15% of sold ereaders was returned by customers (which is huge amount). The PB was almost broken, down and out..
If you are comparing the software of PB and onyx you are comparing the last just one month ago published version of PB FW 1.1.2 and the very first version of Onyx.
Just let them time and I am sure the guys of Onyx will do it. Onyx is definitely working faster, is more flexible and it is more pleasant to cooperate and communicate with onyx as with PB, especially in the last three month (my expirience in communications and collaboration with PB is more than two years).
The ratio of sold devices of both brands is currently 1:10 (PB:Onyx). The most customers prefer obviously to buy a Onyx device. And return rates are currently 6% PB and 2% Onyx.
So you can make your conclusions...

I am very optimistic about future of Onyx and will try to help them (also with your support guys) to make better devices and software.
Onyx is a smaller company, but every business starts once as a small company (even Microsoft or Apple or Facebook). The true is "Viam supervadet vadens"
Old 01-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #58
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Obviosly Android. As mentioned there the Entourage Edge. They had plenty of problems - and only Android 1.5.

There is a fantastic PDF-reader Mantano for Android.If you follow the discussions here on this forum, you get an idea what kind of effort is needed just for one single program to make it work.
1. Entourage runs 2.2 ..at least y pocket does it
2. I prefer ezPDF reader...
3. waiting other 6 months is not an option for me and for many others, You can get done tons of work in that time. Spending 400$ for saving so much time seems OK for me. 6 months is 180 days...3.xx$/day

I guess I will buy an Edge as the glossy screen seems to be OK on the Pocket version.... anyone selling?
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #59
sammy
Connoisseur
sammy began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS 700 entourage edge PB 360 PB603 Kindle DXG Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Hi,

1)
  • just copy the firmware file to your SD Card
  • Put the SD Card into your M92
  • Connet it to the charger
  • Switch off the device
  • Hold the OK (right) button pressed and switch the device on
  • Update information appears on the screen (in the status line)
  • Wait untill your device is updated (ca 10 min)
  • Dont switch off the device while updating
  • After updating the device will restart and a black start screen appears - just click the power button once.
That's it

2) Better you try and figure it out. I dont use calibre and just create folders and subfolders. May be you will prefer another way...
Can you tell me pleas, which firmware you would recommend, is the new one stable?
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #60
peterx
Connoisseur
peterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enoughpeterx will become famous soon enough

Device: M92
scribble application

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterx View Post
I am unsatisfied with the scribble application. I would like to modify it, but sadly, it is not free software (or is it?). Is there some similar free scribble application that uses Qt, and thus only minor modifications would be needed?
I started a project for a new scribble application at https://github.com/peter-x/scribble. I was able to compile it using the SDK and run it on my M92! If you also want to try, please note that currently, the application does nothing ;-)

I learned that the SDK contains a big amount of the sources of the applications on the M92, actually it seems as if the scribble application (the sketch_* files in https://github.com/onyx-intl/booxsdk.../code/src/data) is almost completely contained there (as a widget).

If you have problems compiling the scribble application, please ask me. Any contributions to this project are greatly appreciated!
peterx is offline   Reply With Quote