Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
krunk
krunk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
New ebook user, looking for tips and advice

I received my Kindle 3 a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it.

I've spent the last few weeks with my Kindle exploring different ways to maximize the experience.

First thing I did was pick up Calibre. After toying with it a bit, I wrote some scripts to automatically fetch a couple of news sources and send them wirelessly to my kindle so I could read them over my morning coffee.

Here's a few questions/issues:

How can I email those news sources and have them put in a "Daily News" collection or some such?

What's the easiest way to manage collections? I found this post for using Calibre, but it seems a bit convoluted.

How can I manage my books bought from Amazon? It seems DRM is a forbidden topic and I can't figure out how to strip it for the Kindle 3 anyway. Is there some other means?

Feel free to add any "you have to check this out" type suggestions too!

*edit* I should mention I use OS X. I've seen the Kindle Collection Manager mentioned, but from what I can tell it's windows only.

Last edited by krunk; 09-20-2010 at 03:41 PM.
krunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
It seems DRM is a forbidden topic and I can't figure out how to strip it for the Kindle 3 anyway. Is there some other means?
Google Apprentice Alf or Dark Reverser.
I see you're using OSX, so you'll probably need a working XP installation running under Parallels to utilize any of the existing techniques for Amazon purchases.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
krunk
krunk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Google Apprentice Alf or Dark Reverser.
I see you're using OSX, so you'll probably need a working XP installation running under Parallels to utilize any of the existing techniques for Amazon purchases.
The scripts work on mac for up to Kindle 2. Just waiting for them to update to Kindle 3.
krunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The issue isn't the K3... the issue was the 2.5 firmware update.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote