Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur
sarahsbloke began at the beginning.

Device: Original Nook, Kindle Keyboard
How long does your battery last?

If someone could answer in page turns or continuous hours of reading.
Some of the Nook owners seem to mislead about how long the Nook lasts

I've estimated 10 hours use or 1000 page turns for a Nook battery
Or 5 days of non use and the battery goes flat anyway.

So how about the Kindle

Last edited by sarahsbloke; 08-17-2010 at 03:00 AM.
sarahsbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I guess I haven't really calculated it out, but I read 3-4 hours a day and get about a week to a week and a half on a charge (although I don't usually run it all the way down) on my K2us that I got on release day.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Battery Life - Sony PRS 900

My Sony PRS 900 lasts from 56 to 77 days. However, I usually keep it in shutdown mode only using it to read about 4 hours per month when away from my house. I read books on my PC usually.

I've ordered an Amazon Kindle 3 LG WiFi but will use it in the same pattern. Its rated at one month battery life if the WiFi is turned off in sleep mode. I will usually keep it in Shutdown Mode and should get a longer battery life.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
With my wireless on all the time I can easily go a week without charging and I read several hours daily.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
about a weak and four hours a day
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
psycholoner
Enthusiast
psycholoner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
On my DXG, I ran around 2200 pages of manga on a full charge and still had some battery left. It was around 10 or 12 hours with whispernet off. Of course, this is a number you get from going through all those pages within a day. I don't know how much energy the kindle eats just from sitting there.
psycholoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

I would estimate about a week with 3G off using my KDXG 4 hours per day. If 3G is on cut that down to two days or less, but I think that is because 3G coverage is terrible in my area and the 3G radio probably spends a lot of energy searching for a signal. I opted to go with the Kindle WiFi only when I pre-ordered my K3.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Reading 2-3 hours a day and only using my whispernet when I want to check something on the net or download a book, I get about 12 days on a charge. I do let my battery run down until it prompts me for a recharge.

I bought my K2 in Feb 09'.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #9
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I usually forget to charge my reader and end up with the battery depleted screen Just goes to show that you really don't have to charge the Kindle that often.

Now I try to charge the Kindle about once a week and then the battery meter is usually half full.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #10
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Never as long as I want it to! I'm terrible about charging things.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #11
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... All the Nook owners seem to lie about how long the Nook lasts ...

Are Kindle owners more honest than Nook owners?
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #12
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Its rated at one month battery life if the WiFi is turned off in sleep mode. I will usually keep it in Shutdown Mode and should get a longer battery life.
This is how Amazon describes the expected battery life for the new Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi:

"Battery Life of Up to One Month
A single charge lasts up to one month with wireless off. Keep wireless always on and it lasts for up to ten days. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage, such as shopping the Kindle Store and downloading content. In low-coverage areas or in EDGE/GPRS-only coverage, wireless usage will consume battery power more quickly. "

The Wi-Fi only model battery life is rated at three weeks with wireless on.

I take this to mean that if I have wireless turned off, I can read daily and the battery life will last up to a month. To get this battery life it means having wireless off all the time, not just when in sleep mode. It also means that you will get up to one month of battery usage if you are reading on it with normal usage, not just if you leave it in sleep mode.

It doesn't matter whether you put it in "shutdown mode" or in sleep mode, either mode will consume very little power. From my understanding of the technology, there is no additional power saving when it's turned off.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:59 AM   #13
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur
sarahsbloke began at the beginning.

Device: Original Nook, Kindle Keyboard
Ok so reading through all the replies
It seems that 4hrs a day for 1 week with 3g off gives about 24hs of reading time.
Compared to my Nook that manages 8hrs reading (12hrs if I am overly optomistic), the Kindle seems very good.

Thanks for the information chaps!
sarahsbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:42 AM   #14
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsbloke View Post
It seems that 4hrs a day for 1 week with 3g off gives about 24hs of reading time.
Reading on a K3 for four hours a day with wireless off will give you significantly more than one week worth of battery life.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #15
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Big difference between sleep and shutdown modes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
It doesn't matter whether you put it in "shutdown mode" or in sleep mode, either mode will consume very little power. From my understanding of the technology, there is no additional power saving when it's turned off.
I find on my Sony PRS 900 there is a HUGE difference between keeping the eReader in sleep or shutdown modes. I haven't received my Kindle 3 LG WiFi yet but am sure it will follow the same pattern.

Since Jan 6, 2010, I've kept my eReader in shutdown mode most of the time and have experienced the following period lengths: 56 days, 77 days, 89 days. In Sleep Mode it only lasts about one month (30 days). I always keep the wireless mode of the PRS 900 off since I download from the internet site and then sync with the eReader.

I usually read eBooks on my PC as I've done starting with Microsoft eBooks since 1990. I only use the eReader when away from the house and then leave it in sleep mode for that one or two day period. My eReader actual use runs about 4 to 6 hours per month.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote