Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Sales Predictions For 3G on Friday

By not making the iPad available in Apple stores until 5 P.M. on the 30th, Apple engineering a lower first day sales number for the the 3G release.

Including pre-orders, I would estimate that total 3G sales for the release day will be in the 150,000 to 175,000 range.

Any other opinions?
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:04 AM   #2
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
I wonder how many people are going to leave work early on Friday, so that they can pick up a 3G iPad. (Not me, my credit card is tapped out.) Nevertheless, I know quite a few people who have a 3G on order or reserve. I'll be conservative and estimate that a quarter million 3G units will be sold by 10 PM on Saturday, given the Friday head start. It's the apps, man. They're the magnet that pulls people into the stores (including Best Buy).
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Well, mine has been shipped and will be here tomorrow!

As for Worst Buy, I would not give those morons any business if they were the last electronics store on the planet. Check out Consumerist for the many Best Buy horror stories!
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Esprit View Post
Including pre-orders, I would estimate that total 3G sales for the release day will be in the 150,000 to 175,000 range.
100,000-150,000 K is my guesstimate.

I just don't see a super huge demand for 3G compared to the WiFi only models in a larger device like this. I think most are like me and would mainly use their tablet at home, in the office, in coffee shops etc. were Wifi is prevalent--i.e. types of places they use a laptop/pc or netbook currently.

So they really only get the on the go crowd the travels constantly etc.

But maybe I'm underestimating the size of that market.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
100,000-150,000 K is my guesstimate.
I just don't see a super huge demand for 3G compared to the WiFi only models
I can't speak for others, but the GPS was the factor for me - no GPS on the WiFi version and I do not have a phone with GPS.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #6
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
I can't speak for others, but the GPS was the factor for me - no GPS on the WiFi version and I do not have a phone with GPS.
That's moot for me since I have a Garmin for my car, and I wouldn't walk around town using the GPS on something the size of an iPad as I'd both look ridiculous and be a prime target for a mugging!.

But fair point if that's a feature that matters to you.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote