Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which one would you buy?
Cybook 43 63.24%
BeBook 25 36.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Cybook,or BeBook?

Which one would you choose?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Which one would you choose?
At this stage, they're both decent devices. I've got two Cybooks and I'm looking to buy one BeBook. The OpenInkpot open source firmware project has come farther along in developing a BeBook version than a Cybook version. But the alpha version I used on my cybook shows that there is promise - once the keys are properly mapped over.

I'd lean more towards the BeBook for right now. Please click on my link below if you decide to go that way.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Just Bought a Second Cybook.

Considered getting a Bebook, but with the Mobi support a bit raw, and the great price for the Cybook in the UK, I decided to go with the Gen 3 for now.

I'm still interested in getting a Bebook or its successor, but I'll have to save up for awhile before I can buy it.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Gen3 was a bit raw too and tended to lock up. And the V3 has more format support along with FBReader. So if they can manage to sort out Mobipocket, it'll be that much better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:25 PM   #5
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
I don't have any problems with the Mobi support on the HanLin V3. I realise there's no dictionary lookup from within a book, but that's a feature that I wouldn't use, even if it was available.

This pic is the PRC file of Olympus Prime on a Cybook and HanLin V3, with thanks to the author, Jim Smith.

I prefer full justification, but I believe that's a setting when the file's created. I think the book's perfectly readable on both devices (and its a great book, too!).

Please click 3 separate times to view the pic more clearly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cybook and HanLin PRC.jpg
Views:	2636
Size:	604.9 KB
ID:	17497  

Last edited by cbell; 10-31-2008 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Added 3 clicks suggestion
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2008, 05:13 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The CyBook. It currently has significantly better MobiPocket support, and that's what's important to me. The BeBook currently has no support for dictionary lookup, no ability to load your own fonts, and no ability to switched between left and full justification - all important features to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:18 AM   #7
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
If you load your own TTF (true type fonts) in the font folder of the internal memory, the HanLin V3 will give you the option of which font to use, but not for Mobipocket books. I expect this is the same with the BeBook.

Last edited by cbell; 11-01-2008 at 05:35 AM. Reason: corrected
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think both are closest like one another, while there's a clear difference between the Irex readers and Sony and kindle reader.

I think this should be an interesting topic,to compare!

Apart from my sony I might lean towards the hanlin for it's chm support. I'm thinking of giving the Sony PRS-505 to my wife and buy one of the above for myself,because you can do just much more with them...

It's good to hear the comments from people already having experience with both devices.

I also notice the hanlin has more buttons.
Would you say the hanlin is easier to browse through the menu's?

And,how accurate is the battery indicator on the BeBook?

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-01-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:52 PM   #9
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Ask me in 2-3 weeks...

For me, Mobipocket is the third choice for ebook format (after HTML and RTF), so still being a bit rough around the edges in mobi format doesn't disturb me. The Cybook doesn't handle RTF at all, doesn't handle separate file HTML, and still get lost sometimes with italics in HTML single file. So for me the bar is set very low. But I won't know until I get me BeBook and can compare side by side...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing that the Gen3 does not as well as the V3 is margins. For Mobipocket eBooks, the margins on the Gen3 are big. I like the smaller margins on the V3 for more text per page.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #11
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I eventually got the Cybook, again largely due to the good price in the UK, but I did and would/am still consider(ing) the bebook as a 2nd fiction reader due to a larger format support. What I would like is one for reading drm epub aka Sony & one for Mobi aka cybook. Well actually, one to do both would be better...
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:13 AM   #12
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
cybook. i like mine so much will probably be buying my husband one for christmas. less buttons, less clutter, easy to read on without ever having to look at anything but what i'm reading.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:30 AM   #13
ProDigit
Karmaniac

I do have to say the cybook looks nicer!
It has nothing to do with the buttons, but just the style; a metal border around the direction knob,nice black plastic instead of grey-ish on the bebook..
I'm still 50/50 about the 2.

Any comments on the build quality?
Old 11-02-2008, 12:01 PM   #14
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Cybook is pretty flimsy IMO. I don't have a BeBook/V3 to compare, but PRS-505 is much much sturdier (no wonder with an aluminium casing).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #15
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
a metal border around the direction knob
It's not metal, just painted plastic (at least as far as I can tell).
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bebook, cybook