Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
asql
asql began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Author's list messed up

hi All,
I'm completely new here and hope is the right place to get some help..
I just upgraded to the last version of calibre (portable) 1.16, and I've just realized the authors list just changed... I've just 2 entries in it, and all the other are sublisted in one of the 2 main items.. that's to say
Authors
|------ 1st Alphabetical to 100th
| and here a partial sublist of authors
|------ 101st Alphabetical to 106th
| another partial sublist of authors

I've rebuilt the library metadata (Library->Maintenance->RestoreDatabase) but the problem is still there...
is it supposed to have author's list spred among partial sub lists of about 100 entries each? I do personally prefer to hide that and have the "old list" again...

any hint would be very appreciated, and please excuse my poor english..
TIA
--
asql
asql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by asql View Post
hi All,
I'm completely new here and hope is the right place to get some help..
I just upgraded to the last version of calibre (portable) 1.16, and I've just realized the authors list just changed... I've just 2 entries in it, and all the other are sublisted in one of the 2 main items.. that's to say
Authors

I've rebuilt the library metadata (Library->Maintenance->RestoreDatabase) but the problem is still there...
is it supposed to have author's list spred among partial sub lists of about 100 entries each? I do personally prefer to hide that and have the "old list" again...

any hint would be very appreciated, and please excuse my poor english..
TIA
--
asql

There is a button at the bottom of Tags: Alter Tag Browser
You do NOT want 'Sort by Popularity (try sort by name )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2013, 12:08 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by asql View Post
Authors

What is the "old list"? I have mine setup in groups of 15. Go to Preferences - Look and Feel - Tag Browser tab and change it as you see fit. See attached for my setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tagbrowser.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	117102   Click image for larger version

Name:	tagbrowser-2.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	117103  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
asql
asql began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
thank you all... did it
Merry Xmas
--
asql
asql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Thank you so much DoctorOhh. I admit I never looked at this and found the author list overwhelming because there were so many authors when using just the alphabet lol. This makes it so much easier to browse by author!
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
Thank you so much DoctorOhh. I admit I never looked at this and found the author list overwhelming because there were so many authors when using just the alphabet lol. This makes it so much easier to browse by author!
You're welcome. Chaley coded this feature, but is often unsure how many folks actually use it. It is nice to choose how many authors show when you hit the partition.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Walt

Did you also change a partition tweak to get it to look like that? (I might have messed with this years ago) I was missing the r in front of the '{

I use Fn Ln in my authors column
When I partition (15), I get the first 4 letters of the firstname [Aver-Tris]

Now that I restored the r I am seeing an issue with series with 'Articles' when collapsed:
Catb-The (The Change is the last)
The - Chil (The Changeling... is the first)

Thanks for getting me to revisit Partitioning
Old 01-08-2014, 06:36 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Did you also change a partition tweak to get it to look like that?
The below tweak I assume controls the number of characters shown in the partition. The below is the default from the manual.
Code:
# Control partitioning of Tag Browser

categories_collapsed_name_template = r'{first.sort:shorten(4,,0)} - {last.sort:shorten(4,,0)}'
categories_collapsed_rating_template = r'{first.avg_rating:4.2f:ifempty(0)} - {last.avg_rating:4.2f:ifempty(0)}'
categories_collapsed_popularity_template = r'{first.count:d} - {last.count:d}'
The following is what I have in my tweak. (I have no clue when I changed it or who gave me the change)
Code:
# Control partitioning of Tag Browser 

categories_collapsed_name_template = '{first.sort:re((.*?)(\\,|$).*,\\1)} - {last.sort:re((.*?)(\\,|$).*,\\1)}'
 categories_collapsed_rating_template = '{first.avg_rating:4.2f:ifempty(0)} - {last.avg_rating:4.2f:ifempty(0)}'
 categories_collapsed_popularity_template = '{first.count:d} - {last.count:d}'
I also use FN LN but prefer author_sort for the tag browser so I use this tweak.
Code:
# Use author sort in Tag Browser

categories_use_field_for_author_name = 'author_sort'
Good Luck.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-08-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Thanks Walt,
I got it working, vanilla, 4 char partitions. Thinking of going to 5, just to save screen space.

and I also use the Author_sort tweak as you do
I must be in file things in phonebook order. That's 'Library order', since Libraries have been around a LOT longer than the Telephone

@chaley
The notes for this tweak could probably use some simple samples of alternate values, like most of the other tweaks do.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #10
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Lol to make this perfect would have a staircase type of breakdown.
It would be great to have the alphabet show and then under the letter of the alphabet have the author names in groups of 15 or 20 or so.

Lol, give me the moon and I'll ask for mars.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
It would be great to have the alphabet show and then under the letter of the alphabet have the author names in groups of 15 or 20 or so.
I had the same thought

Br
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I, too would prefer a Hybrid
First Letter
A
---[Aaaa-Azzz]
B
---[Baaa-Bzzz]

I think I turned off partition
because Series is just Odd that way

I want the S's without having to look hard because breaks can happen anywhere [Patt-Sier]
Old 01-11-2014, 11:08 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I, too would prefer a Hybrid
First Letter
A
---[Aaaa-Azzz]
B
---[Baaa-Bzzz]

I think I turned off partition
because Series is just Odd that way

I want the S's without having to look hard because breaks can happen anywhere [Patt-Sier]
I must admit I was only thinking about Authors

In a sun, the moon and stars world one would be able to have different partitioning rules for each category via a right click option on category heading (Authors, Publishers, etc). I found out long ago that the one that's already there changes the global setting - drat

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-11-2014 at 11:20 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote