Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: What Colour do you prefer?
Silver 53 34.42%
Dark Blue 101 65.58%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2007, 11:54 AM   #16
carchase
Enthusiast
carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
My concern with the silver one was that it may shine more with a booklight directly overhead. My eyes are pretty sensitive when it comes to shiny things and I'm guessing light bouncing off silver may be distracting. Then again, maybe I just have the attention span of a cat. Anyway, I went with the blue just in case.
carchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:00 PM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think I just like the blue better, personally.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2007, 12:45 PM   #18
cjschmidt
Thyme Lord
cjschmidt doesn't littercjschmidt doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
I like the silver. It matches my other mobile gizmos (ipod nano & Macbook Pro) and Sony seems to have done a good job using the texture and painted logo to keep it from becoming too distracting. It certainly reflects more light than the blue, but not enough to bother me.

It makes me wonder if there is a high percentage of eBookers who are Mac people (or maybe just iPod people). The original Libre and the new silver 505 seem to fit the Apple aesthetic more than the traditional Sony look.
cjschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:58 PM   #19
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Silver because it matches my new Sony PSP. :-)
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:47 PM   #20
Monk
Monk began at the beginning.

It was a real toss up, silver or blue. Finally went with the silver and I like it very much. There is no noticeable or bothersome reflection while reading. The only reason I didn't go with the blue is cause I had a bad experience with a Palm Zire that was blue. Turns out it was metal with blue paint that eventually peeled off to reveal the silver base. I eventually peeled all the paint off. I have no idea about how the blue version of the Sony is made, but didn't want to take a chance.
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2007, 10:11 AM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
I have no idea about how the blue version of the Sony is made, but didn't want to take a chance.
I haven't seen the blue 505, but I imagine it's comparable to the 500, which seems to be some sort of anodized treatment. mine has worn remarkably well over the past year -- other than the corner I dropped it on (), it still looks pristine.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Once I actually open the box for my 505 I'll take a photo of it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:56 PM   #23
ArcherPDA
ArcherPDA began at the beginning.

Device: Archer PDA; PRS-505LC
NOOB with a new Blu 505

Just received a new blue PRS505; very very cool.

I am a product manager for rugged handhelds; this is a new twist on data mobility, and it looks like an infant market is getting ready to break out.

The Vizplex looks to be the first really commercially viable e-ink for the consumer; it will be interesting to see who takes the leadership role for the future..
The hardware manufacturers?
The Publishers?
The software writers/format designers?
The retailers?
ArcherPDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:18 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had a look at one of the local Borders today. They had the silver 505 on display and it looked like just the silver 505 in the display case for sale. They did have some AC adapters for the 505 and leather cases for the 500 and also some 500s as well. I didn't ask how much the 500s were going for. Next time I go in and they have some I'll ask.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:37 AM   #25
cottonball
cottonball began at the beginning.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-505
When I went to purchase the 505 I was leaning towards the blue. However, when I saw the blue and silver side-by-side, I much preferred the silver - which I ended-up purchasing. I also like the tan faux-leather cover. Looking back, though, I can't remember the color of the cover for the blue... Anyway, I also like the way the silver contrasts with my (black) 500. Helps me tell them apart :-)
cottonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #26
Yaakov
Yaakov doesn't litterYaakov doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/SC
I have the best of both - the sonystyle store was out of blue, so I purchased a silver, then convinced the salesman to swap me the blue cover for the tan/grey (the covers weren't on display, they kept them in a drawer). So I have a silver reader with a stock blue cover!
Yaakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:48 PM   #27
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Just got back from Borders with a silver 505. The store I went to is only stocking silver (at least right now). At first like many I thought for sure I wouldn't like the silver, but after actually seeing it in the store I have no problem with the silver.

Now it's off to do some reading on converting stuff I already have to sony format. I've got html, rtf, pdf & lit stuff (mostly Baen). What's easiest to convert?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:04 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Just got back from Borders with a silver 505. The store I went to is only stocking silver (at least right now). At first like many I thought for sure I wouldn't like the silver, but after actually seeing it in the store I have no problem with the silver.

Now it's off to do some reading on converting stuff I already have to sony format. I've got html, rtf, pdf & lit stuff (mostly Baen). What's easiest to convert?
LIT or HTML using either lit2lrf or html2lrf.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:06 PM   #29
Big B
Big B began at the beginning.

I have the blue PRS-505. It is really more of a dark purple/blue. It does show fingerprints...so no fried chicken while you read.

P.S. this forum is great!!! I've already downloaded 62 books!!!
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:46 AM   #30
maggotb0y
Connoisseur
maggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
Silver closer to real book

I wanted blue, but the store only had silver. Now that I have the silver, I think I am glad. The dark border of the 500 stands out in your eyes much more than the silver does, it's easier to ignore as "white space" as it is similar to the color of the background of the page.

I have one small complaint that I'm guessing would apply to the blue as well- the tops and bottoms of the reader are highly polished and reflective metal (unlike the brushed appearance of the rest of the surface). My booklight reflects off of that 1/2 a cm or so if I attach it to the top or bottom. Works okay if I attach it to the side. I may end up masking it off with tape.

Can anyone with the blue reader comment- does it have the same reflective line at the top and bottom?
maggotb0y is offline   Reply With Quote