Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
new email app

Concerning the new email app that comes with the 1.2 Color Nook - it has an option for how often to check for new email, with the default being 30 minutes. My question is - does the email app have to be RUNNING - i.e. on the screen - for this to happen? Or will it restart itself (in the background, presumably), do the check, and then if it finds nothing new just go back to sleep, or if it finds something, alert you?

The latest user guide says that apps stop when you go away from them, but with something like the email app, it is kind of unclear.

I think this is a concern because let's say it wakes up in the background every time period and does a check (I think that this is probably what it does). That could seriously run your battery down, I should think. So, unless you are waiting for an important email, you might want to disable this checking and only have it check when you start the email app deliberately.

And, what if it does checking even when the Nook is asleep?!? I doubt it, but it would be good to know.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can answer some of my own questions. The email app definitely runs in the background and checks your email as you do other things. In fact, you get a littlenotification icon at the bottom of thescreen when you have new mail. Clicking the icon opens the email app immediately.
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 12:28 AM   #3
Zerhackermann
Enthusiast
Zerhackermann began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
as I recall, the email doesnt sync if the nook is sleeping.
Zerhackermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
RAH
Guru

Thanks for the feedback, Zerhackermann. This is pretty much what I would expect, so I'm glad to hear some corroboration.