Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
fueg0
fueg0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Error: No Internet connection

While trying to fetch news, on Windows version of Calibre, I always get this
"ERROR: No internet connection: Cannot download news as no internet connection is active"

But, yes the connection is ON.
Is there any restriction about the ports used to download the news feeds?

Sys: WinXP SP3. No software firewall runing. Router allowing ALL outgoing connections.

Thanks
fueg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That error has nothing to do with ports. Basically, windows is telling calibre that no internet connection is available. Why it is doing so, I'm not sure, maybe someone more knowledgeable about windows can help.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Check your proxy settings. Make sure that you configure IE correctly so that it can see the internet, because calibre uses IE's (not firefox's) proxy settings.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@chaley: I doubt this is proxy related, the is the InternetGetConnectedState Win32 function returning that there is no internet connection.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:32 AM   #5
fueg0

There is no proxy configured and the Internet works fine (I can even connect to my computer using Teamviewer).
So, is there a way to debug this app and see what is happening, to solve the problem?
Thanks

Last edited by fueg0; 10-07-2010 at 03:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 04:32 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Make sure you don't have a VPN turned on. Beyond that, I have no further ideas. Perhaps someone else will.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:01 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
InternetGetConnectedState seems to be a somewhat petulant beast. Some research in the Microsoft knowledge base and the vast rest of the net, while not divulging the excact method used by the function to determine connection, implied that the results could be vastly different depending on the version of Internet Explorer on your system. I found this entry, which might be of some relevance. You might want to check the default gateway as suggested in the knowledge base article above.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
fueg0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
InternetGetConnectedState seems to be a somewhat petulant beast. Some research in the Microsoft knowledge base and the vast rest of the net, while not divulging the excact method used by the function to determine connection, implied that the results could be vastly different depending on the version of Internet Explorer on your system. I found this entry, which might be of some relevance. You might want to check the default gateway as suggested in the knowledge base article above.
Thanks. The problem is here, alright.
I'm still getting the error even if the LAN connection is working. I'm investigating the problem but it's a Windows API bug.

I'll let you know how I fixed it, ASAP as I'm still trying some tricks to fix it.

Cheers
Old 10-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Good luck.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:02 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fueg0 View Post
Thanks. The problem is here, alright.
I'm still getting the error even if the LAN connection is working. I'm investigating the problem but it's a Windows API bug.

I'll let you know how I fixed it, ASAP as I'm still trying some tricks to fix it.
Make sure that you don't have any auto-connection options set up in IE (connections tab). The API looks at these, and will report failure if the connection isn't present.

As Manichean said, good luck!

Tags
connection, error, internet, windows xp, windowsxp