Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Sony's Reader team to present something August 25

Edit: Just received word from Sony that there was a mix up with the dates. The event is now scheduled for Tuesday, August 25 - so one day later than originally announced.

Whoa! It's only been a few days since Sony announced the PRS-300 and the PRS-600, but today they have sent us an invitation to a press conference scheduled the morning of Monday, August 24 Tuesday, August 25 in New York. Sony's Reader team is going to be there and the big question we're all asking ourselves: What is it that the Reader team would normally do at a major press event? What say you, rumormongers?

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 08-11-2009 at 05:56 PM. Reason: adjust date
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
well, as we've been waiting for both wireless and a larger device, i vote for one of those. maybe even both. but my first pick is wireless. what do i win, if i'm right ? do i get a free 600 ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Okay, we know that they had originally planned to announce the 300 and 600 at a press event late in the month, but they pushed that up due to the leaked service manuals and rampant speculation. Basically, they said "Alright, you already know about these, so here they are." I think they'll use the press event to officially launch the 300 and 600, and also to unveil the other reader that they have managed to keep under wraps. Keep in mind that we do know they are working on a larger WiFi enabled device that can be used for newspapers (they've said as much). I think this event is where they'll officially unveil that device, along with any newspaper/content partnerships they've lined up. Just my guess...
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
I am afraid their surprise has already been spoiled. They will announce the immediate availability of the PRS-300, PRS-600 and the covers (regular and w/light), as well as eBookLib 3.0 with Mac support, and (possibly) FW upgrades for PRS-505 and/or PRS-700. But we already knew that, didn't we?

I doubt there will be anything else. I can hope they will also pre-announce the large-screen reader, and some connected (Wi-Fi or GSM SIM-card) readers. On the other hand, those are clearly not ready for release, so what's the point in announcing something before its time, and killing the sales of what's available.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
To me this just confirms the market penetration and power of Mobilread (and or similar forums).

It is well past time that players like Sony took account and heed of "The Customer".

Listen to our views on the hated DRM.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I think, like Abecedary, that they'll officially announce the 300 and 600 and also another (probably) larger screen: the 900.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
I doubt there will be anything else. I can hope they will also pre-announce the large-screen reader, and some connected (Wi-Fi or GSM SIM-card) readers. On the other hand, those are clearly not ready for release, so what's the point in announcing something before its time, and killing the sales of what's available.
How likely are firmware updates for the 505 and the 700?

How much ought we expect from them, based on past updates?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post

- Ahi
The last firmware update for the 505 was a HUGE deal. So based on past firmware updates, we should expect HUGE things from Sony. The last firmware update for the 505 gave us mobile ADE.

But in this case, I'm not expecting something that big from a firmware update.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
They'll announce immediate availability for a 12", 16bit color e-ink device, with full PDF, as well as 30fps video and Flash support....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #10
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The last firmware update for the 505 was a HUGE deal. So based on past firmware updates, we should expect HUGE things from Sony. The last firmware update for the 505 gave us mobile ADE.

But in this case, I'm not expecting something that big from a firmware update.
Thanks, John! That's good to know.

Are they likely to "backport" features in their newer devices' firmware into the 505 and the 700?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #11
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
They'll announce immediate availability for a 12", 16bit color e-ink device, with full PDF, as well as 30fps video and Flash support....
Great!!!!!!! I take your word for it.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #12
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post

I think it depends on what's Sony after this time. I cannot see what would they put into the PRS-505 firmware update. Unless they added some new functionality and some fixes to EPUB reader, what? I don't believe they need a FW update to make it compatible with Mac. So, my vote goes against a PRS-505 FW update.

PRS-700 update is absolutely feasible, as it could make it a clone of PRS-600, only with a light. It seems that the two are compatible in all aspects of hardware (other than the light, which in PRS-700 has no connection to firmware anyway). So, they could make a parting present to the poor PRS-700 owners - give them the scribble notes and dictionary lookup capability, and perhaps a free dictionary to download via Sony eBook Store as well...

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by porkupan; 08-10-2009 at 03:50 PM. Reason: some grammar
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
I think it depends on what's Sony after this time. I cannot see what would they put into the PRS-505 firmware update. Unless they added some new functionality and some fixes to EPUB reader, what? I don't believe they need a FW update to make it compatible with Mac. So, my vote goes against a PRS-505 FW update.
they could update ADE, so that people could have justified epubs. that would make a lot of people happy...

Quote:
PRS-700 update is absolutely feasible, as it could make it a clone of PRS-600, only with a light. It seems that the two are compatible in all aspects of hardware (other than the light, which in PRS-700 has no connection to firmware anyway). So, they could make a parting present to the poor PRS-700 owners - give them the scribble notes and dictionary lookup capability, and perhaps a free dictionary to download via Sony eBook Store as well...

Just my 2 cents.
i REALLY hope you're right about that. that would be brilliant. of course, i wouldn't have so much an excuse to get a 600 then. hm... not sure whether to hope for that or not.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #14
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
They are going to announce that they'd like to know what Apple is going to come out with in September as well and will conduct a group discussion on the various possibilities.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #15
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i REALLY hope you're right about that. that would be brilliant. of course, i wouldn't have so much an excuse to get a 600 then. hm... not sure whether to hope for that or not.
Don't count on it, plan on getting a new 600. Free firmware upgrade = no new revenue. Sony = grasping at straws.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote