Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-09-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
Toris
Toris knows the square root of minus one.Toris knows the square root of minus one.Toris knows the square root of minus one.Toris knows the square root of minus one.Toris knows the square root of minus one.Toris knows the square root of minus one.Toris knows the square root of minus one.Toris knows the square root of minus one.Toris knows the square root of minus one.Toris knows the square root of minus one.Toris knows the square root of minus one.

Device: kobo and bebook
Help needed how to protect library on shared computer?

Hi, I am on a shared system, with no option to deny access to anything (there is no separate user accounts, nor will it be allowed)

I am having a problem because of this. There are several users who are also using calibre, and I have begun to use this program to organize my extensive collection of digital books. I had thought that my library would be accessible only to me, but could not find any method by which to do this. I can see no option to password protect the library, and now I am finding alterations, things changed, books deleted and added. My library is a mess, I have had to fix yet again, and again, and again...............
I have complained, but it will not have an affect

Is there a way to password protect my library to prevent the other users of this computer from accessing it, and I have just failed to find it, or does this option not exist?

Thank you for any help and advice you may provide,

Toris.
Toris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #2
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
There is no way to do that within Calibre - usually the best advice would be to use the OS's tools to protect the library directory. Since you can't do that, the best option I can think of is to put the library on a USB stick that you take with you. If the other users are messing with Calibre's settings, you could use Calibre Portable, which will run off the USB stick.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:11 AM   #3
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Apparently no way within Calibre. Can't advise further without details of the OS, your privileges etc. You may be able to look at encryption with something like encfs, truecrypt or similar.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:41 AM   #4
Toris
Toris knows the square root of minus one.Toris knows the square root of minus one.Toris knows the square root of minus one.Toris knows the square root of minus one.Toris knows the square root of minus one.Toris knows the square root of minus one.Toris knows the square root of minus one.Toris knows the square root of minus one.Toris knows the square root of minus one.Toris knows the square root of minus one.Toris knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
There is no way to do that within Calibre - usually the best advice would be to use the OS's tools to protect the library directory. Since you can't do that, the best option I can think of is to put the library on a USB stick that you take with you. If the other users are messing with Calibre's settings, you could use Calibre Portable, which will run off the USB stick.
Hi, thank you for your reply, but sadly usb is not permitted either, for viral infections

But again, thank you for your advice.

I had hoped there was a way, but that I had not seen it.
Is it so unusual to need this, that it is not available?

Last edited by Toris; 05-09-2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
Toris

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Apparently no way within Calibre. Can't advise further without details of the OS, your privileges etc. You may be able to look at encryption with something like encfs, truecrypt or similar.
Thank you for trying to advice me, but no alterations to the system is allowed.
There is not even the option of different user logins
Old 05-09-2012, 05:15 AM   #6
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If you can install software, then you could install something like Truecrypt and use it to encrypt your Calibre directory.

If you can't, then most zip software will allow you to password-protect a zip file. You could use that functionality to do the following:

1. Zip up your Calibre directory and protect it with a password
2. Delete the Calibre directory, so that the only copy is the password-protected zip file
3. When you come to use Calibre, unzip the directory first
4. When you've finished using Calibre, repeat steps 1 & 2

That's a lot of messing about, but it should protect your Calibre library, and shouldn't require any extra software.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #7
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I'm not quite sure how on a shared computer if no alterations are allowed you are able to even install calibre on there in the first place?

Personally I would never consider in the slightest installing something as personal as a book library on a shared computer, unless it was intentionally for sharing with the other users on that computer.

If you can't get your own laptop, then the answer given above of Calibre portable on a USB stick is the most appropriate approach imo.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote