Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Is there anything special about the NC cable?

I was trying to root my friend's Nook Color tonight, and I ran into a snag. I was able to get the data written to the card via WinImage, but it didn't appear to root the device. After watching Huskermania's video on YouTube, I'm wondering if I didn't follow the procedure closely enough.

1) The SD slot on my computer wasn't able to read the card that I had, so I hooked up the NC with the micro-SD card in there. Doing that, I was able to write to the card.

2) I didn't have my friend's NC cable, so I was using my own Kindle cable (which has the same size micro-USB slot).

I assume that things will work better with the NC cable, but I'm not sure why. Is the technology in the cable different than the Kindle's? Also, is there a difference putting the micro-SD card in the computer via an adapter vs having it in the Nook and attached to my computer via the cable?

Thanks for the assistance. Sorry for the newb question.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
The only difference I'm aware of is that the small end of the factory cable is a bit longer, in order to provide a bit more power to charge with. Data-wise, they should be the same, but the Nook does not, in fact, come with a standard USB cable.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2011, 01:02 AM   #3
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
The only difference I'm aware of is that the small end of the factory cable is a bit longer, in order to provide a bit more power to charge with. Data-wise, they should be the same, but the Nook does not, in fact, come with a standard USB cable.
Thanks. I thought maybe the cable was doing something extra-special when it glowed like it did in the video.

I fiddled around a bit with my BIOS and got the SD card slot working again, so next time I take a shot at it, I can do it more like it was done in the video.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
A cable that charges the Sony will not charge the NC but will transfer data to it. To charge the device, you need the cable they supply, though that does work with a USB power adapter that I got for the Sony.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
I'm sure your problem was that the SD card wasn't written in a way to make it "bootable". When the SD card is in the Nook and then hooked to the computer, I think the Nook is handling the "low level" formatting, and so it isn't writing the information in the correct manner to enable the SD card to be made bootable. One way you might check is if the "size" of the SD is reported as being approx 32 megabytes. When the image is written correctly, the card is partitioned to have a single 32 mb partition (or somehting small like that). Even if the card is a 8gb card, it will only look like a 32mb card when the image is properly written.

Regarding the Nook cable, it is a USB cable with additional pins for charging at high amps then the USB standard allows for; but any MicroUSB cable will handle the data issues, it just won't charge at the higher rate (and even discharge when plugged in if the Nook is being used in a battery intensive fashion).
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert