Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-26-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
ronw
Enthusiast
ronw began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Kobo Software

I purchased a Kobo from Whitcoulls NZ (same software as Borders Australia but modified to point at the whitcoulls site) and do not want to have to use their software on the Kobo or Desktop which forces me to purchase from their online bookstore. Is there anyway to delete the software from Kobo and install the original Kobo software which would at least allow me to purchase direct from Kobo store which seems to have much greater range of books and also some free stuff.
ronw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:46 PM   #2
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
You don't have to use their software to buy books at all. You can actually buy your books anywhere you like and put them on your kobo. That's one of the major selling features.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
And we welcome another NZer to the forums

I'm not quite sure how the Kobo registration process goes, but basically, so long as your device is registered to an Adobe ID, you can read any epub with Adobe DRM. Register an account with Adobe, and download and install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE). Once ADE is installed, run it and authorise your computer to your Adobe account. Once that is done, you can plug in the Kobo reader, and ADE should ask you to authorise it.

Once your Kobo is authorised for ADE, you can buy from any store that supports Adobe epubs. This includes the Kobo store, and the Whitcoulls store.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:57 AM   #4
ronw
Enthusiast

Maybe I did not make myself clear. The desktop software is personalised to only go to Whitcoulls. I understand that I can buy ebooks from other sources but not sure how I would add that into the Kobo without the desktop software. Why cannot the desktop software be allowed to access any store and purchase books. Something like I can do with my I-Touch. Do I have to drag the books across somehow. The documentation is pretty sparse and no where does it mention adding books other then through the desktop Interface
Old 05-27-2010, 02:41 AM   #5
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
It's confusing as all get-out, eh? I've just bought a Sony, and haven't finished getting everything sorted, but as far as I understand it, this is the procedure:

1. Install desktop software.

2. Download and install Adobe Digital Editions.

3. Authorise your computer in ADE.

4. Check that ADE recognises and can authorise your Kobo reader.

5. Use browser to buy ebooks in epub format from wherever.

6. When your browser asks 'run or save?' choose Run in ADE.

7. ADE downloads the ebook and decrypts it.

8. ADE can then transfer the ebook to a device it has already recognised and authorised.

That right, folks?

A few things you may or may not know:

- you might have issues (hopefully temporary) in changing font size/face in ebooks you bought anywhere but Kobo (or that didn't come via Kobo's desktop software)

- if Whitcoulls is like Borders, there ARE a number of free ebooks available. They just seem to be listed at the very END of any search results list.

- the above process is only required for DRMed ebooks. If you want ebooks from, say, Smashwords, Baen, or Feedbooks, just download them through your browser. When the reader's plugged in, Windows Explorer should display it as one or two removable USB drives. You can either find where it stores the ebooks and copy the downloaded files into that directory, or download Calibre, load the ebooks into Calibre, let Calibre detect your reader and transfer the files for you. NOTE BEFORE TRYING: I don't have a Kobo reader, I'm just assuming this will work as normal with other readers.

Does that help?
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 04:33 AM   #6
ronw
Enthusiast

Thanks I will have to do some trial and error stuff. Am off to get the Adobe software now and get that installed
Thanks for help
Old 05-27-2010, 04:44 AM   #7
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
More Kiwis in the the forums - I won't be lonely(ish) any more
mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:01 AM   #8
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Kudos to Nom for the detailed instructions. I do feel the need to point out one thing:
Quote:
7. ADE downloads the ebook and decrypts it
ADE decrypts the books in its library 'on-the-fly' when you open them for reading, the actual files themselves that ADE downloads ARE STILL ENCRYPTED (wrapped in DRM).

Just wanted to make sure there was no misunderstanding on this point. I've had conversations with people who see a 'Download ePub' link, and think they're getting an 'open' ePub book and don't realize it's wrapped in adobe DRM.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
triffids
BookWorm
triffids began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader (1st generation)
I've seen a couple of references to authorizing ADE with the eReader ... I'm not exactly sure how to do that. I downloaded and installed ADE before I got my Kobo, and it's authorized with the same email address as the one I use with Kobo books ...

So far, I've had no problems loading/reading books I've bought through Kobo books. However, I'm having issues reading the ePub books available through my library. I can read them in Adobe Digital Editions on my computer, but I cannot seem to get them to be viewable on the eReader device. I've tried Calibre, which has been great for allowing me to add PDF files to the eReader, but still no luck with the books downloaded from the library (DRM issues).

Any advice? I'm using the kludgy Kobo desktop software on a Mac (running Snow Leopard), updated the ADE software today (and don't see any differences), and the most recent version of Calibre.
triffids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #10
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Any advice?
Open up ADE, and plug in the Kobo. It should pop up with a wizard that will authorize the device. If this doesn't pop up, click on the options button on the bottom, and select 'Activate Device'.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #11
triffids
BookWorm
triffids began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader (1st generation)
Thank you! I could not follow those instructions in ADE, and figured that there must be something really wrong with my ADE installation/configuration.

I had to not only uninstall ADE (again), but remove the digital editions .plist files in my user Library/Preferences folder. (I mention this in case any other Mac users run into this problem.) When I reinstalled after that, I got the setup wizard, it detected the Kobo and allowed me to authorize it. I was able to then add the library ebooks over (they're PDF files, show up under "Documents").

It's a relief to know that I can view library books on the Kobo after all! :-)

Last edited by triffids; 06-06-2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Minor clarifications
triffids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:08 AM   #12
The Whether Man
The Whether Man began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch
As far as I can make out, the Whitcoulls desktop application is a dedicated browser for surfing their website, and a pretty useless one at that.

It doesn't sync with the Kobo: When I signed up I got five 'free' books; not really that much of a deal as they were already on the Kobo. I expected to be able to read these both online and offline but the bookmarks don't transfer and I have to manually find my place each time.

Nor does it upload any books that I loaded, so it's useless for back-up purposes. It doesn't even cross-check with the Kobobooks site, which is surprising as the help forums seem to have similar formats and threads.

Even when used for browsing the Whitcoulls eBooks it is poor as there are no previews or samples available, the best that you get is a brief review.

The reader itself is great, but the fact that you have to be reasonably tech-savvy to get the best out of it could be a big deterrent for a lot of people.
The Whether Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:25 AM   #13
kiwikobo
Enthusiast
kiwikobo doesn't litterkiwikobo doesn't litter

Hi all you fellow kiwis...

No-one has mentioned Calibre in this thread, which I thought might be useful.

Basically, the first thing to do when you get your Kobo is delete the sqlite file containing the 100 'free' books, then use the Whitcoulls application to "Sync" and get itself happy that it has no books on it.

Then install Adobe DRM if you want to buy/install any Adobe DRM books.

Then install Calibre to install all other books, epubs, text files, PDFs and so on. Calibre has a weak and not particularly intuitive interface (although it's better than the Adobe or Whitcoulls things), although it does get on with the job once you get the hang of it. It will convert your files that you buy or download, wherever you get them from, and help you manage your library and sync it with your Kobo.

If the instructions in the Kobo package had said this, it would have got me up and running without wasting part of the first day working this out.

Fantastic reader -- all I want now is a fix to the font problem, particularly one that will let the text be *smaller* not bigger... Calibre will sort of do this to a limited extent, but the Kobo itself has no idea how to change fonts or sizes except on a very small number of books. One day they will get a programmer who can make this happen and update the firmware, and then it will be pretty darned good...
kiwikobo is offline   Reply With Quote