Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #4096
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenChen View Post
Unfortunately, there is quite a lot of difference. You cannot use a 650 build on the 950.

Also, the apps don't really work on the 950. There is some sort of resource overflow issue that we have not been able to get around that causes the apps to hang the 950. (The apps also hang the 650, but the difference is you can use 3 or 4 apps without a problem; starting the 5th app causes the crash. On the 950, from what I hear, the crash happens when you start the first app!)
Thanks a lot for clearing that up! It's a shame, but I guess I'm really only missing out on Zork as compared to the latest version for the 950.

Is it fairly safe to assume after all this time that the current version for the 950 will be the last?
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #4097
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******
BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan diVega View Post
Thanks a lot for clearing that up! It's a shame, but I guess I'm really only missing out on Zork as compared to the latest version for the 950.

Is it fairly safe to assume after all this time that the current version for the 950 will be the last?
I believe kartu is still planning on bringing out a new version at some point. However, it really is not difficult to build your own installer based on the latest code. The instructions are here.
BenChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 12:16 AM   #4098
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******
BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I installed the Zork-C version (the C is for Chess, no?) and still Chess doesn't appear on games or any other menu that I can see.
Indeed the two builds seem just about identical, and I suspect the wrong version was posted in error.

Just not sure what to do about it if I'd like both chess and the Zork stuff.
Why not send a message to Analogus and see if he can clear it up. He doesn't have a 650 but should be able to check the uploads to make sure the right one is there.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:18 AM   #4099
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
No, Chess does not appear in the More menu. Interactive Fiction does. There is a chess folder on the 350 containing a single file: "performance.bin".

Note that I installed the Zork "tested personal version" at the top of the Zork download page. Could that be different than the Zork-C version below it? The zip files appear to be exactly the same except for time stamps being a few minutes later in the "tested personal version".
The folder you refer to is the GamesSave folder for Chess that contains the book of opening moves. It certainly won't launch the Chess app.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #4100
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenChen View Post
Why not send a message to Analogus and see if he can clear it up. He doesn't have a 650 but should be able to check the uploads to make sure the right one is there.
I have a 350.

I've left a PM for Analgous here and posted in this thread (which is what his site suggests for support) a while ago. No response from anyone.
I was glad someone else posted about the same issue.

By the way, my son and and I both enjoy the chess game on the regular PRS+. Thanks for that!
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #4101
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hmm...looking at the main PRS+project page, it looks like interactive fiction is now part of PRS+...so maybe it's not worth figuring out the issue with the Zork-C package?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #4102
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Hmm...looking at the main PRS+project page, it looks like interactive fiction is now part of PRS+...so maybe it's not worth figuring out the issue with the Zork-C package?
I went back and installed regular PRS+ alpha on one of my 350s. Chess is there, as well as Zork.

While font changes did work for me this time, a lot of fiddling is necessary. When I change a font, I have to go into the size dialogue and switch back and forth between font sizes or line heights for the font choice to "take". Also, these same size and height dialogues do not pick up the real values I put in userCSSValues.js.

Zork Edition is just a smoother, more pleasing experience for me. So I went back to Zork. I will live without Chess on the Reader until/if Analogus returns. Unfortunately, it appears that he hasn't been around for several months.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:10 AM   #4103
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******

Quote:
By the way, my son and and I both enjoy the chess game on the regular PRS+. Thanks for that!
You're welcome! Since replacing the AI with the Toga II binary the Chess app has been working brilliantly. I really like the puzzles, especially since the new AI almost always can work out the correct solution when I can't!
Old 09-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #4104
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud of

calculator

Has anyone actually tried to use the calculator? It often does not display the leftmost digit of the result!

If you try 29 / 7, you get .1428... instead of 4.1428...

290 / 7 gets 1.4285 instead of 41.4285...

Etc. Same in regular PRS+ and Zork.

Maybe it has something to do with the length of the result? The correct number is retained in the memory. It's just not displayed. So you cannot trust any calculator result you are looking at, since you don't know when this is happening.

Fortunately, this add-on has nothing to do with the excellent reader firmware.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:52 AM   #4105
drmtiede
drmtiede began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs350
Hi guys, I'm one of the silent but happy users of one of the older versions and I never saw the need to upgrade as everything I need is there. Thank You all.

So some time ago I bought a Bookeen Frontlight as it seemed that for less money You got a better device but my wife is not so happy as the page change buttons are too large and also the border of the screen is used to change the page with the result that wherever You grab the reader it starts changing pages. So for my children I got a Trs1 Sony again.

Is there prs for the trs1 somewhere? It seems to me that everything stops at the 950. Would be a major disaster to me.
drmtiede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:57 AM   #4106
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmtiede View Post
Is there prs for the trs1 somewhere? It seems to me that everything stops at the 950. Would be a major disaster to me.
There is no PRS+ for the PRS-T1 or newer. I moved from the PRS-950 to a Nexus 7.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #4107
Dipaksomak
Enthusiast
Dipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of light

Device: none
duplicate

Last edited by Dipaksomak; 09-30-2013 at 08:29 AM. Reason: duplicate
Dipaksomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #4108
Dipaksomak
Enthusiast
Dipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of lightDipaksomak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Ripplinger, you get credit for putting PRS+ back on my radar! I just wanted the ability to change fonts. All the rest seemed to be overkill. But now I see how useful many of the tweaks are.

Strangely, font changes and line-height changes simply did not work for me in the non-Zork edition. It probably has something to do with the specific ways I format books in calibre. The Zork install solved all that immediately, and then I went on to customize the CSS for two favorite fonts and a dozen others. The dialogues for font-size and line-height work, too, and were easily customizable to my preferences.
I either being a dunce, or missing a trick. Using Zork's latest on my 650, I cant seem to get the right font or line height. I think the minimum is 1.033em. How do those two rows (ABCD & 12345) work for the fonts ?
I seem to be only using the A1 combination...everything else is too big for me.
Would really like A1 settings to be at the middles allowing me to go a liitl bigger or a little smaller.
Dipak
Old 09-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #4109
Phil_C
Addict

@Dipaksomak

It seems that the original formatting of individual books makes a difference. That is, a PRS+ font size of 1.06 will be different with different books (even with the same font). I also find that, with some books, you need to change the font to the one you want, then go back and forth between font sizes and also line heights a couple of times until the proper settings "take". I have no idea why this is. (This problem was more common in the non-Zork edition.)

I think my CSS files are OK. The various font settings for some books work perfectly. I am using Zork on a 350.

Now that I accept this behavior for what it is, I have no problem. With each new book, I fiddle with the settings for font/size/height until things look good. I have no expectation that specific settings for one book will look exactly the same in another book.

The end result is excellent. Much better than the original firmware. I am happy to have this, especially since the new T3 may not be available in the US.

One note: You mention settings of ABCD in the font size dialogue. With Zork, you should be seeing numbers that represent the actual sizes. Are you sure you installed Zork and then shut down completely?
Old 10-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #4110
Dipaksomak
Enthusiast

Quote:
@Dipaksomak

It seems that the original formatting of individual books makes a difference. That is, a PRS+ font size of 1.06 will be different with different books (even with the same font). I also find that, with some books, you need to change the font to the one you want, then go back and forth between font sizes and also line heights a couple of times until the proper settings "take". I have no idea why this is. (This problem was more common in the non-Zork edition.)

I think my CSS files are OK. The various font settings for some books work perfectly. I am using Zork on a 350.

Now that I accept this behavior for what it is, I have no problem. With each new book, I fiddle with the settings for font/size/height until things look good. I have no expectation that specific settings for one book will look exactly the same in another book.

The end result is excellent. Much better than the original firmware. I am happy to have this, especially since the new T3 may not be available in the US.

One note: You mention settings of ABCD in the font size dialogue. With Zork, you should be seeing numbers that represent the actual sizes. Are you sure you installed Zork and then shut down completely?
I am sure I have, but will try a reboot again. I do get the funky icons.... I have also noticed that the you can change the fonts via the size button or via the last button and then using the css option there. the latter method seems to make the change immediately to the open book.