Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Family Connection to an HBO Special

Hello Everyone!!

I don't know how many of you are US Football fans or even receive HBO, but I thought I would share this with you.

Starting this evening, Wednesday, August 12 at 10PM EST, is the five part series, HARD KNOCKS '09: TRAINING CAMP WITH THE CINCINNATI BENGALS. From what I understand, the cameras will be following the team throughout the training camp process of getting the team ready for the regular season.

The family connection, my brother is the Defensive Coordinator (Coach) for the Bengals. He has been a coach in the NFL for about 15 years, most of those years as a coach for the Dallas Cowboys. While with the Cowboys, one of the sports channels followed the team through training camp and did interviews with many of the players and coaches, of which Mike was one of them. Although this is a series and not a one episode special, I am assuming that this will be similar.

Now for the warning! The program is rated for mature audiences, I assume it's predominantly for indiscreet language usage. Having been around football and coaches my entire life, I can tell you that the language used on the field is fairly raw and not suitable for young children.

Thanks for letting me share. Enjoy!

kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
How exciting and fun to watch a family member, kazbates!!

Now, just hope they don't do one of those moments where he shares a memory of his sister from childhood (funny for him, embarrassing for you )
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Oh! So now I have a direct connectio to someone to complain about how my team is doing! Next time you see you brother, hit him really hard and say, "That's from a long-suffering fan in Wisconsin!"

pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
How exciting and fun to watch a family member, kazbates!!

Now, just hope they don't do one of those moments where he shares a memory of his sister from childhood (funny for him, embarrassing for you )
Won't happen. My brother is nothing if not stoic. He and I are almost polar opposites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Oh! So now I have a direct connectio to someone to complain about how my team is doing! Next time you see you brother, hit him really hard and say, "That's from a long-suffering fan in Wisconsin!"

Being a Bears fan (sorry about that), I feel your pain.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Won't happen. My brother is nothing if not stoic. He and I are almost polar opposites.

Being a Bears fan (sorry about that), I feel your pain.
Being from the UK I'm supposed to say something like "it's just rugby league but not as exciting" and other such things, but I've been a Bears fan since '85, so I won't. I'll download this series after it airs on HBO Thanks for the heads up Kaz.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Being from the UK I'm supposed to say something like "it's just rugby league but not as exciting" and other such things, but I've been a Bears fan since '85, so I won't. I'll download this series after it airs on HBO Thanks for the heads up Kaz.
Your Welcome!!

'85 Bears! You had to love that bunch of guys! They had so much fun with the game and all the hype. Sometimes I wish today's players and coaches didn't take themselves so seriously.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Your Welcome!!

'85 Bears! You had to love that bunch of guys! They had so much fun with the game and all the hype. Sometimes I wish today's players and coaches didn't take themselves so seriously.

Walter Peyton and the Fridge and McMahon and Ditka, oh man that was a good year I remember getting my first American Football (a Wilson) and taking it into school and everybody being amazed by it.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
kazbates
Wizard

My dad was a high school football coach near Chicago for 35 years (and actually did a very short stint with the San Francisco 49ers before I was born). He attended a lot of Bears training camps over the years and still maintains that that group was one of the best.

Oh and, pshrynk, my nephew is also a defensive coach for the New Orlean Saints, so you can only gripe to me if the Bengals (highly unlikely) or the Saints beat Green Bay!!
Old 08-12-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Kaz, you're a Bears fan and you live in VA? For shame! LOL, I'm still a Skins fan, and living near Philly and New York, I get lots of weird looks for saying that.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #10
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Kaz, you're a Bears fan and you live in VA? For shame! LOL, I'm still a Skins fan, and living near Philly and New York, I get lots of weird looks for saying that.
What's even worse, my brother and nephew coach for other NFL teams. David is a HUGE Redskins fan. When Mike was coaching for Dallas, I told David if he didn't back the Cowboys, he was sleeping with the dogs! I don't know if he ever actually did root for them, but he never said anything out loud, so he was safe!! Since Mike left Dallas, football season has definitely been a lot calmer in my house.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
What's even worse, my brother and nephew coach for other NFL teams. David is a HUGE Redskins fan. When Mike was coaching for Dallas, I told David if he didn't back the Cowboys, he was sleeping with the dogs! I don't know if he ever actually did root for them, but he never said anything out loud, so he was safe!! Since Mike left Dallas, football season has definitely been a lot calmer in my house.
Ooh, you can NEVER tell a Skins fan to root for the Cowboys. That's just sacrilege.

Who do they coach for? Man you have a football family!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #12
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Ooh, you can NEVER tell a Skins fan to root for the Cowboys. That's just sacrilege.

Who do they coach for? Man you have a football family!
Mike is the Defensive Coordinator for the Cincinatti Bengals (hence the family connection to the HBO special on tonight).

Adam is a Defensive Coach for the New Orlean Saints.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #13
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Oh, I thought you said you had two family members coaching for professional teams. Just the guy with the Saints and your brother who hangs out withthe Cincinatti Pick Up Football Game bunch.

Am I bitter about SEVENTEEN SEASONS WITH ONLY ONE POST SEASON APPEARANCE? Not really.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #14
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Oh, I thought you said you had two family members coaching for professional teams. Just the guy with the Saints and your brother who hangs out withthe Cincinatti Pick Up Football Game bunch.

Am I bitter about SEVENTEEN SEASONS WITH ONLY ONE POST SEASON APPEARANCE? Not really.
Believe me, after last season, I'm fairly certain a lot of Bengals fans feel the same way about the team. A 4 and 11 season doesn't do anything for team or fan moral!! On the show last night, the team's owner pointed out how badly they did last year, even calling it an embarrassment. The good thing is, they've got no where to go but up.

As it turned out, other than a very brief shot at the beginning, my brother didn't show up until 45 minutes into the show. And, as I anticipated, he was the coach with the most "peppery" language. It seemed to me that they focused more on the offensive players this episode, so perhaps next week, they will focus more on the defensive side of things.