Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-14-2008, 03:41 AM   #1
gandor62
Connoisseur
gandor62 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Ipad, Kindle 2
Will Calibre convert to other formats in the future

I realise that Calibre is mainly a Sony conversion program but was interested to know if in the future you will include other formats such as PRC or PDB formats that will create the ebook and include downloaded metadata and book cover. I realise that there are other tools that also do this but the Calibre program seems to me to have the best windows GUI I have seen for converting and obtaining Meta data and Book Cover.

Cheers
gandor62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yes, next on the list of output formats is epub.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
lynntcb
lynntcb began at the beginning.

Device: Mybebook
I haven't received my e-reader yet so just doing a search for stuff. How do I get the calibre program. I have been onto google which has redirected me to this forum again. Good grief.
lynntcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:10 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynntcb View Post
I haven't received my e-reader yet so just doing a search for stuff. How do I get the calibre program. I have been onto google which has redirected me to this forum again. Good grief.
http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:20 AM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I wish you could import PDB files and then output them to LRF. I also really, really wish it would not force you to let it copy all your files and re-organize them! This is my pet peeve because it assumes (incorrectly) that it is all a person would need. How can you assume this when you don't manage every file type? If I already have to keep my own directory structure for my Palm files, it makes more sense for me to have my LRF files in there too and keep everything together. Now that I am using Calibre so I can load things onto the Sony, it has made it more complicated for me. I would rather just use it to load/unload, edit metadata and tag. I think it should permit (as iTunes does) for the user to manually manage their own files!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2009, 12:31 AM   #6
lynntcb
lynntcb began at the beginning.

Device: Mybebook
Many thanks. I have downloaded calibre. However, I have almost used up my download allowance for this month. No doubt I will be going onto this site every day once I receive the e-reader. It would be a good thing for me if when receiving an answer it could be given using 1,2,3 or A,B,C. format I can understand that. I live in an isolated community in the middle of Queensland so the postal service is not too good and then, hopefully I will not have to have a battle with the customs and excise folks.The lunatics are in charge of the asylum.Cheers for now. Take care.
lynntcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I wish you could import PDB files and then output them to LRF. I also really, really wish it would not force you to let it copy all your files and re-organize them! This is my pet peeve because it assumes (incorrectly) that it is all a person would need. How can you assume this when you don't manage every file type? If I already have to keep my own directory structure for my Palm files, it makes more sense for me to have my LRF files in there too and keep everything together. Now that I am using Calibre so I can load things onto the Sony, it has made it more complicated for me. I would rather just use it to load/unload, edit metadata and tag. I think it should permit (as iTunes does) for the user to manually manage their own files!

I think that your complaints are worded a little strongly, given the free and open-source nature of the program.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I think it should permit (as iTunes does) for the user to manually manage their own files!
I agree. We await your patch.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I agree. We await your patch.

BOb
Actually this is going to take a patch and a commitment to handle all the tickets that will be opened by users losing books in their collections because they have them on removable media or because they changed the layout of parts of their filesystem and forgot to tell calibre about it. And yes I know, you would never do these things.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I wish you could import PDB files and then output them to LRF. I also really, really wish it would not force you to let it copy all your files and re-organize them!
As I understand the issue, the minimum requirement for XXX import is an XXX2html.py script. The added problem for PDB is that it isn't a single ebook format. My guess is that PalmDOC import would be easy, but other formats would be harder.

A work around to the organization issue is customized export. This is already available for "send to device" on the Cybook. I don't know if it also works for "save to disk", see Sorting the books on the cybook :
Quote:
In the mean time Calibre does support putting files onto the Cybook in user defined directories via Send to Device. It's implemented though a tag. The first tag driver finds that starts with / is used as the path. Every subsequent / in the tag is treated as a directory separator. So, you have a tag /Classics/Twain . When you send the ebook to the Cybook it will be put in eBooks/Classics/Twain.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:14 PM   #11
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
I think it should permit (as iTunes does) for the user to manually manage their own files!
Well, you can use the command line tools to convert and manage the books on the device. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want the GUI which is designed to manage your ebook to manage them...
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote