Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
smgoller
smgoller began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Updating original books - best practices

Technical ebook publishers like O'Reilly and Pragmatic Programmers often sell "beta" versions of their books before they're actually published. I've imported several into my library, but now I've been told newer versions are available.

Any thoughts on best practices for updating these? I could manually copy the new books into their respective directories, overwriting the originally imported books, but it seems like I should be able to do this within calibre. Adding the new books and merging records seems like a possibility, but that doesn't really sit well with me either. Am I missing an option in calibre that's designed for this situation?
smgoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I think that if you are in the edit metadata screen and drag and drop new book to format widow it will overwrite. Not 100% sure but it has worked for me.

Or you can remove all formats by goig to remove all formats except... and click something obscure like jpg or deja and add the books
First one seems better if it works for you.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by smgoller View Post
Technical ebook publishers like O'Reilly and Pragmatic Programmers often sell "beta" versions of their books before they're actually published. I've imported several into my library, but now I've been told newer versions are available.

Any thoughts on best practices for updating these? I could manually copy the new books into their respective directories, overwriting the originally imported books, but it seems like I should be able to do this within calibre. Adding the new books and merging records seems like a possibility, but that doesn't really sit well with me either. Am I missing an option in calibre that's designed for this situation?
What you decide to do with the "Beta" is up to you.

The proper , more traditional way to replace a format, is to select the existing book, open the meta-data- editor and drop the new version in the formats box (tweak the data to taste) and Exit
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote