Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-25-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
Font
Connoisseur
Font began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does it only allow Amazon stuff to be downloaded?

Could I install texts or are only Amazon texts allowed?
Font is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can certainly load your own books onto the Kindle. Any DRM-free Mobipocket book (or text file) will work fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Dwayne_Matheson
Connoisseur
Dwayne_Matheson is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I have loaded my own PDFs and text files. I have some public domain mobi and prcs as well, all loaded using calibre no problem. I even loaded my Amazon content using calibre, no problems at all. While it is nice having the wireless, I don't foresee myself using it for books unless I happen to be on the road and have exhausted all my books that I loaded before I left home.
Dwayne_Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
IntegrityWolf
^_^
IntegrityWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch (Wi-Fi)
I've downloaded plenty of PDFs, mobi files...lots of things. As long as it's DRM-free, you're fine.
IntegrityWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
scott h
scott h began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
even word documents. They need to be converted, but amazon will do that for free.

I simply email the word document to my free.kindle email and it gets put right on my k3. This is with a wi-fi connection.

I could also send it through 3g, but there would be a small charge.
scott h is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott h View Post
even word documents. They need to be converted, but amazon will do that for free.

I simply email the word document to my free.kindle email and it gets put right on my k3. This is with a wi-fi connection.

I could also send it through 3g, but there would be a small charge.
would that work with 3 gigs worth of rtf,txt,lit,pdf equals 3500 books
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
would that work with 3 gigs worth of rtf,txt,lit,pdf equals 3500 books
for that, I'd run all the conversions on a fast PC, using freeware Calibre program - convert everything to .mobi format then load onto kindle via USB.

I suggest that you do batches of 2-300 at a time, as Kindle will want to index them once it receives them.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Font View Post
Could I install texts or are only Amazon texts allowed?
There is quite a bit of information in the Kindle User Guide that answers this question and many more. If you do not yet have a Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200317150
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
for that, I'd run all the conversions on a fast PC, using freeware Calibre program - convert everything to .mobi format then load onto kindle via USB.

I suggest that you do batches of 2-300 at a time, as Kindle will want to index them once it receives them.
why not just let the kindle app on pc index them then copy/paste to the kindle?

simple.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
why not just let the kindle app on pc index them then copy/paste to the kindle?

simple.
Not simple...

Your Kindle and your Kindle 4PC have a different PIDs... one cannot decrypt the others books.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #11
Red Stapler
Curmudgeon
Red Stapler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
You can use the wireless too.

One of the first things I did after getting my Kindle 2 was use the browser to bookmark the Kindle compatible sites for Manybooks.net and Feedbooks.com. You can download books directly to the Kindle over wireless. Very nice, although for some reason Manybooks' site doesn't always have the Kindle compatible file available for download straight to the Kindle, but I can still download it to the computer and transfer it via USB. Never a problem with Feedbooks, plus the Feedbooks site is a little easier to navigate on the K2.
Red Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #12
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I still haven't used the USB connection with my K3. Non-Amazon books I send via Calibre to my wifi and it's free.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
content