Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
mabo5184
mabo5184 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Error: Reading ePub(DRM) on Sony PRS-T1

Hi,

I am having problems reading an ePub with DRM protection on my new Sony PRS-T1. I hope someone can help?

The error reads "Error: Protected by Digital Rights Management" when I try to open the ePub book in question. The ebook was retrieved from my local library (Overdrive service).

My setup is Ubuntu 11.10, Adobe Digital Editions (ADE), Calibre 0.8.35, Sony PRS-T1.

The steps I have taken so far are;

1. Installed ADE and Sony software on a windows PC and authorized both the windows PC and the Sony PRS-T1 (device).

The device information under settings/about now states "This device is authorized for reading and purchasing Adobe DRM content."

2. Installed Wine and ADE on my Dell laptop running Ubuntu 11.10, and authorized the Dell laptop. So now I have 2 computers and one device authorized with ADE.

3. Installed Calibre 0.8.35 on my Dell running Ubuntu 11.10/Gnome Shell 3.2. Then I added the ePub in question and transferred to my device. No visible errors during during this step.

I have no problem reading non-ePub ebooks on my device. The problem is just with the the ePub with DRM.

The Calibre FAQ suggests DRM ebooks can be transferred but not viewed so I think it may be a bug/support issue with this new Sony PRS-T1 device. I see in the forums this new Sony device has a very different software (Android) compared to the older Sony devices which may be the source of the problem?

Does anyone have suggestions?
mabo5184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Eugenie
Enthusiast
Eugenie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch edition PRS-650
I am having the same problem with my Sony PRS-650. I am on a Mac (Intel iMac, OS 10.7.2), but like you I also have the most recent versions of ADE, Sony Reader software, and Calibre. Both my computer and device are authorized with both ADE and the Sony Reader Store.

I too borrowed an ebook from my local library via Overdrive. I followed the instructions in Calibre Help to transfer it to my device*, but I get the same error message you do.

I also installed the most recent release of Sony's software (simply called Reader, v1.1.04.11231). Even though Sony says it also works for my model, I suspect it was mainly meant for the new WiFi PRS-T1 readers. (Before the PRS-T1 models, the software for Sony devices was called Reader Library, v3.3.00.07130.)

Maybe other PRS-T1 users or the Calibre people could tell us if the presence of this latest Sony Reader software somehow interferes with borrowed library books on the device.

* per Calibre Help:
  1. I opened the downloaded acsm file with ADE.
  2. ADE downloaded the actual epub book into "My Digital Editions" folder.
  3. I brought the epub from there into my Calibre library. In Calibre, I transferred the epub to my device.
  4. When I went to read it on my device, the screen showed the Protected by Digital Rights Management error message.
I also returned the ebook (and completely deleted it from my computer and from my Reader) and re-borrowed it. I then tried opening the acsm file in Sony Reader instead of in ADE. (Like ADE, Sony Reader downloads the epub, only into a different location.) Ended up with the same result.
Eugenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
Eugenie
Enthusiast

P.S. to Calibre experts

When sending an epub library book to Calibre (epub downloaded by ADE after it has opened the acsm file), how is it supposed to appear in the Calibre book list?
  1. Is the "due date" field supposed to be automatically filled in? With me, it did not fill in automatically (although in ADE, it showed the number of days until expiry).
  2. In the book info and metadata windows, is a generic book icon supposed to appear? With me, the image that appeared was a white page showing a paragraph full of gibberish.

Last edited by Eugenie; 01-16-2012 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:11 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenie View Post
When sending an epub library book to Calibre (epub downloaded by ADE after it has opened the acsm file), how is it supposed to appear in the Calibre book list?
Like any other book in your list. Calibre treats all books the same and has no special provisions for DRM protected books.

Moderator Notice
"Error: Protected by Digital Rights Management" is a question for the Sony forum. Moved thread.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:33 AM   #5
Eugenie
Enthusiast

Wink

I'm not sure why this thread was moved because it actually requires help with Calibre. The Calibre instructions for transferring local library ebooks to our devices isn't working for the OP and me.

It would be helpful to us if this were posted in the Calibre forum because the Calibre moderators would see it and could provide some insight. For instance, they might know if it's a Sony issue, an Overdrive issue, or an ADE issue as it relates to Calibre.

I provided extra info about the Sony Reader because the OP and I happen to have that device in common. If the Calibre experts/moderators can test our issue with their Sonys and with other devices, it might help to narrow down where the problem lies.

So, in my long-winded way , I guess I'm asking if this thread could be moved back to the Calibre forum, as I think it would be more helpful to us there. Much thanks.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:44 AM   #6
Eugenie
Enthusiast

Update:

My local library also has an ebook collection with EBSCOhost, so I borrowed an ebook from there. I followed the Calibre instructions to bring it into Calibre and then into my device. It worked like a charm. I can read the book on my device.

I then returned to my local library's web site and borrowed 3 more ebooks from their Overdrive collection -- both Adobe PDFs and Adobe ePUBs. I followed the Calibre instructions as above. I cannot access any of these books on my device. When I try to open them, I get the error message "Protected by Digital Rights Management."

Do the Calibre experts know if this is an issue between Calibre and Overdrive? Or is it with Sony and Overdrive? Or is it just me (and the OP)?
Old 01-16-2012, 05:18 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not sure why this thread was moved because it actually requires help with Calibre. The Calibre instructions for transferring local library ebooks to our devices isn't working for the OP and me.
The fact that you received the "Protected by Digital Rights Management" message shows me that "The Calibre instructions for transferring local library ebooks" to your device worked fine.

Quote:
It would be helpful to us if this were posted in the Calibre forum because the Calibre moderators would see it and could provide some insight. For instance, they might know if it's a Sony issue, an Overdrive issue, or an ADE issue as it relates to Calibre.
The point is this issue doesn't relate to calibre in any way. I would guess that you have two different accounts and your reader is tied to one account and you are downloading via a different "authorized" account. I'm sure folks here in the Sony forum have much more experience with this issue.

Quote:
I provided extra info about the Sony Reader because the OP and I happen to have that device in common. If the Calibre experts/moderators can test our issue with their Sonys and with other devices, it might help to narrow down where the problem lies.
Just to be clear calibre treats every book the same. The fact that you got the "Protected by Digital Rights Management" error proves that you transferred the book to your device fine. It would appear that this book isn't authorized to the same account that the reader is authorized to.

Quote:
So, in my long-winded way , I guess I'm asking if this thread could be moved back to the Calibre forum, as I think it would be more helpful to us there. Much thanks.
I don't have the authority to move it back, but I believe you need the experts here that use their readers on a regular basis to read DRM books.

The calibre forum stock answer is to say something cute about drm and how it is easier to get rid of it. Then state the rules here at mobileread limit discussing in detail the steps required to remove the drm and perhaps you might gain insight by Googling Apprentice Alf's blog for guidance.

Good Luck.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
Eugenie
Enthusiast

Fair enough, dwanthny. I will gladly take any help I can get from fellow Sony users.

Just to clarify: I have no problem at all accessing and reading the borrowed ebook on my device IF I use the SONY READER software to put it there.

But if I use Calibre software to put the borrowed ebook onto my device, that's when my device won't let me access it.
And I prefer to use Calibre to manage my ebooks, since it is much more flexible than Sony's Reader software.

N.B. This only occurs with ebooks borrowed via the Overdrive service. If I borrow ebooks from my library via their other ebook providers (such as EBSCOhost), I don't have this issue. I can manage the ebook in Calibre and access it on my device just fine.

I hope you don't mind that I started a new topic asking other Sony users if they have the same experience with Overdrive. (I thought the question might get lost in the shuffle if I ask it within this thread, since the thread title doesn't specifically mention Overdrive.)
Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Just to clarify: I have no problem at all accessing and reading the borrowed ebook on my device IF I use the SONY READER software to put it there.
This would have been nice info to include up front. It would appear that you could use some calibre expertise. Although it should be noted that you and the OP may have different problems.

I'll see if I can get this moved back to the Calibre forum for you.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-16-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is a Calibre issue. It works if the eBooks are put on the Reader not using Calibre, but using Calibre, they don't work. So this thread should be moved back to the Calibre forum where it was since it is a Calibre issue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is a Calibre issue. It works if the eBooks are put on the Reader not using Calibre, but using Calibre, they don't work. So this thread should be moved back to the Calibre forum where it was since it is a Calibre issue.
I agree, I pinged a mod so it should be moved soon. It just would have been nice if either poster had stated this up front (or if I missed it that I saw where it was written up front).

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-16-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do think a ticket should be filed since something seems to not work right with time limited DRMed ePub with Calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do think a ticket should be filed since something seems to not work right with time limited DRMed ePub with Calibre.
Good Point.

@Eugenie - Go to the calibre bug tracker and report this issue.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That implies that the DRM scheme Overdrive uses requires the use of the SONY software. This is only a calibre bug if manually copying the file using windows explorer results in a readable file on the device. Do yourself a favor and get a DRM removal tool. Be ethical and delete the file after you are done reading it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #15
Eugenie
Enthusiast

My apologies, dwanthny. I thought I mentioned this in my first post but after reading it over, I found -- lo and behold -- that I had forgotten to include it! Red face

Kovid is right. I read the "fine print" on the Overdrive site last night and discovered that they have specific instructions for Sony Readers: Overdrive REQUIRES that Sony's own Reader software be used to transfer the ebook to your Sony device. If you use any other software to send the ebook to your Sony, the Sony won't open it. (Maybe Overdrive has a legal agreement with Sony?)

Overdrive does not dictate specific ebook software for most other ebook readers (Nook, Kobo, etc.), only for the Sony. (I assume these devices don't have their own proprietary ebook management software.)

So this is not a flaw in Calibre. It's a restriction imposed by Overdrive.

As Kovid says, the only way around it is to
  1. accept Overdrive's restriction and use Sony's Reader software to send the ebook to your Sony, or
  2. use a DRM-removal tool on the Overdrive ebook, in which case you can send the book to your Sony Reader using Calibre (or any ebook management software you want), and it will be readable on the Sony.
A 3rd option (might not be available to everyone, depending on your local library) is to borrow from a lending site that doesn't have Overdrive's restriction (such as EBSCOhost).

P.S. Like all ebook readers, the Sony Reader still requires that you have Adobe Digital Editions installed and that your computer/devices are authorized with it.

Tags
prs-t1