Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
How many people read more than 2 books at a time?

When I study I like to have 2 different text books that cover the same (very technical) subjects.

When I read for pleasure I have no problems reading 2 or even 3 books at a time. Or I may read just one book in 2 days (I'm just not a speed reader).

Thinking about it now, it seem like I have "pairs". Combinations of horror and mystery or SciFi and historical. Or fiction and classical.

Any others that read 2 or more books concurrently?
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
I don't like to actually "read" two books at once, but I almost always have one that I'm reading and one audiobook that I'm listening to going at the same time. I try not to have them too much alike though, or I tend to mix up the characters and/or plots. I much prefer them to be different timeframes (historical vs. contemporary or futuristic) or different genres.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess that's why I do what I do - differant genres.

Actualy it's more than just that. It seems that when I read in combinations it's always the same cominations.

Last edited by SameOldStory; 05-31-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I generally have several books in progress at once. I'm at various stages reading various technical books, and I always seem to have two or three fiction books in progress at once. My 505 has only made this worse, as in addition to books propped open or bookmarked all over my place, I can have multiple books being read on the 505, too. I've always been like this. When I sit down to read A book, I'll read it cover to cover, but when I'm just reading in the gaps between doing other things, I'll read a chapter or two of whatever book is within reach. Which, in the case of my 505, is several thousand books. Hm, this might get bad.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I usually have a normal length book and a short story collection on the go at once, but I don't have enough reading time to fit any more than that. I usually read a short one first, then go onto the main book after.

If I think how many fragments of story I need to keep up with, it's quite staggering. TV shows, books, comics, radio plays, blogs, even news stories that are ongoing ...
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Just one for me. I generally only read before sleeping, so no time to read too books. And I like focusing on just one story at a time.

Not counting all the reading I do for work--but few books, mostly scholarly journal research articles.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I generally only have one book of any given type going on at a time (e.g. one novel) but I do read different types of books. So usually, I have at any given time:

- A novel in English
- A short story collection in English
- A book in French
- Sometimes something else too
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I only read one fiction book a time because I'm also usually writing a novel and editing someone else's novel, so I already have too many stories/plots/characters to keep track of. I may sometimes read a nonfiction book off and on over a period of time while also reading fiction.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:27 PM   #9
SameOldStory
My True Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
I only read one fiction book a time because I'm also usually writing a novel and editing someone else's novel, so I already have too many stories/plots/characters to keep track of. I may sometimes read a nonfiction book off and on over a period of time while also reading fiction.
L.J.
Now THAT would mess me up.

How many of us have tried to write "a book" and keep up with all of the characters and plots/sub-plots?

On the other hand, I'll want to read a book that I don't enjoy like "The Stand" and just have to put it down for a while. Yet 4 months and 12 books later I can pick it up, reread the last paragraph, and it's like I just put it down a few days ago.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I generally have several books in progress at once. I'm at various stages reading various technical books, and I always seem to have two or three fiction books in progress at once. My 505 has only made this worse, as in addition to books propped open or bookmarked all over my place, I can have multiple books being read on the 505, too. I've always been like this. When I sit down to read A book, I'll read it cover to cover, but when I'm just reading in the gaps between doing other things, I'll read a chapter or two of whatever book is within reach. Which, in the case of my 505, is several thousand books. Hm, this might get bad.
You have just described ME! I used to keep 3 or 4 pbooks in my (rather large) purse at all times, I carry a smaller purse, but many many more ebooks (and a pbook or two). I usually have a few technical books going at once, some journal articles, some school reading, a few novels (fantasy, classic fiction, YA books...) and often some short stories as well. When I sit down I do generally stick with one book, but I am often on the go and will read a bit or this or that while on the bus, waiting in line, etc.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:44 PM   #11
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
I frequently have as many as four or five books in various stages of being read, at any given point in time. Depending on how captivating the storyline(s) are, a book may linger in the "in process" queue for a while, but I am generally able pick up wherever I left off.

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:47 PM   #12
Roger Parkinson
Zealot
Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S
I went through a stage recently of two books at once, but different days. We regularly migrate between our city and country places and I'd keep one (paper) book at one place and one in the other. But it got a bit confusing when I was reading the sequel at the same time as the first. These were re-reads so not so very confusing but I hadn't read them in a while. Now I tend to stick to one and carry the book when we migrate.
Roger Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:14 PM   #13
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I usually have 3-4 books I'm reading/re-reading at any given time.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:33 PM   #14
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
Usually two for me, sometimes three. Anymore than three is too much for me. I find that I neglect one for too long, and end up re-reading it.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:37 PM   #15
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Normally two at a time for me - one fiction; one non-fiction. That seems fine, I can't imagine reading two non-fiction at the same time though.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote