Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
mirzok
mirzok began at the beginning.

Device: Android
PDF metadata not updated when downloading from server

Hi,

I'm a new user, and so far I'm enjoying Calibre very very much. I want to be able to organize my book collection (which primarily consists of EPUBs for regular books and PDFs for technical documents), and be able to access it remotely. Calibre's Content Server has been exactly what I want, except for one little thing.

When I download a PDF from my Content Server, the metadata, for some reason, does not get written to the file. I know that Calibre does not write metadata until the file is exported, but as far as I understood, downloading from the content server should be considered as file export? Am I missing something? How can I make it so that my corrected metadata gets written to a PDF when I download it from my content server? Is there a solution, or a workaround?

A few additional symptoms: The metadata gets written to PDFs properly when I save to disk, or e-mail the book. EPUBS work fine, and proper metadata gets written to the file, when downloading from the content server.

Thank you in advance.
mirzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Updating metadata in a pdf requires the whole file to be read into memory and re-written, as such it is not supported in the content server.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
mirzok

I see, thank you for your answer. Is there any way to force Calibre to write PDF metadata as a Job?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm afraid not.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
One workaround could be to save the PDFs to disc to update the metadata inside the PDFs. And then import the books to Calibre again.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
mirzok

Ok, thank you for all your suggestions.