Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #16
Poetcop
Connoisseur
Poetcop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
This is just a note to say that I only turned on my wireless briefly today, but at some point it auto downloaded the 5.0.4 update, and after about 10 minutes (with wireless turned off) there was a forced reboot which installed them. Afterwards everything still worked on my jailbroken Kindle: usbnet, root password, and custom screensavers.*But if you're worried that future updates may try to ruin our picnic, keep that wireless turned off, or else take some kind of steps as described in this thread.
Poetcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #17
Poetcop
Connoisseur
Poetcop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I tried out JustAMan's method for disabling OTA updates, since it seemed the simplest (although the other methods have their own advantages) adding this line to /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1 todo-g7g.amazon.com

It works! Sending items in my library to myself wirelessly doesn't do anything, and yet when I request them from my Kindles archive screen it does download them. Browser works fine. Interestingly, the items that I sent while the URL was blocked never arrive. But when I disable that line and make another request to have them sent they appear within 5 seconds.

That speed makes me want to learn more about how the todo process works: is it constantly pinging amazon, like every second? Do we know all the different things that can be done through todo, or is it unlimited? Is this definitely the only way that firmware updates happen, i.e. the todo server downloads the update to /mnt/us and a reset is triggered?
Poetcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2013, 03:34 AM   #18
jete
jete began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite (K5)
Nice work! I tried eurekas method. It's the same procedur on Kindle Paperwhite. I don't like my Kindle sending this messages all the time. Thanks to u guys my device just became a little more quiet - great. thanks to all who posted about this topic

Last edited by jete; 07-12-2013 at 03:45 AM.
jete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #19
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Please.

Does it works with kindle paperwhite2?

Thanks in advanced ;-)
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #20
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
Please.

Does it works with kindle paperwhite2?

Thanks in advanced ;-)
Install KUAL, install the backdoor lock KUAL button-set.
That has been tested on the PW2.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #21
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Thanks knc1, i have installed kual, now i will looking for "backdoor lock" ;-)
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #22
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
Thanks knc1, i have installed kual, now i will looking for "backdoor lock" ;-)
Here you go!

(From the 13th post in this thread: )
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
EDIT: provided recipe has been included by dsmid into his unified, easy installable BackDoorLock hack.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote