Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you plan on modyfing Kindle Fire's software in any way (rooting, sideloading etc)?
Yes, I love freedom to tinker 56 46.28%
No, I love the walled garden 65 53.72%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
xchaotic
xchaotic began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505, kindle intl.
How many of you plan NOT to mess with your Kindle Fire (root etc)?

Basically what iOS ecosystem achieves is that while there is a small group of jailbroken users, but the majority of people run plain, walled-garden iOS.
With Android, the ratio is the opposite - most users I have met love to tinker with their devices and I have not found two Android devices 100% alike.
I wonder what the ratio will be with Kindle Fire, vote away!
xchaotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I wouldn't lump sideloading apps in the same category as rooting. The stock Fire allows you to sideload apps. No hacks are required, simply turn the switch on within settings.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
There doens't seem to be a reason to Root the Fire yet. If you want a full blown Android device pay the extra $50 and get the Nook Tablet then Root it.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
JD78
Connoisseur
JD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notes

Device: None
I like tinkering and customizing, but am not going to bother with that on my Fire.
JD78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Aside from the bugs, I think overall the Fire is a pretty well organized device and the interface is growing on me. Normally I'm a tinkerer, but in this case I'm going to leave it pretty much stock for the forseeable future. In fact, I'm not even sure I'm going to be side-loading a lot of apps or installing the Android Market - frankly I don't like the idea of having to constantly check to see if apps need updating, or bothering with apps that aren't compatible. And the Amazon App Store is a pretty good experience. Eventually I'm sure it will be a much bigger store once developers realize the size of the market they'll be reaching.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
Art's Tart
Art's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notesArt's Tart can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle 3G, Kindle Fire
I read that B&N has locked down something and it prevents the Nook from being rooted. Has someone found a way around that? My BIL rooted the last Nook and had a wonderful time. For the money, he's disappointed he can't do it again. I doubt he'd root the Fire from what he said, though.
Art's Tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art's Tart View Post
I read that B&N has locked down something and it prevents the Nook from being rooted.
The nook's been rooted, and so has the Fire. Both are in early stages of hacking though, so there aren't as many options for replacing the OS and such. It will be possible on both devices eventually though, it's just a matter of time.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art's Tart View Post
I read that B&N has locked down something and it prevents the Nook from being rooted. Has someone found a way around that? My BIL rooted the last Nook and had a wonderful time. For the money, he's disappointed he can't do it again. I doubt he'd root the Fire from what he said, though.
I thought it was rooted. There's report of it in the NOOK forum.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
TechnoCat
Zealot
TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
There doens't seem to be a reason to Root the Fire yet. If you want a full blown Android device pay the extra $50 and get the Nook Tablet then Root it.
The Fire is a full-blown Android device.

I have rooted it, but for development type reasons. The poll combines sideloading and rooting, which aren't the same; without rooting I was able to install Enhanced Email, Business Calendar, my own programs and a bunch more. It's not nearly as tightly bolted down as the typical AT&T Android phone.
TechnoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
After spending a few hours installing apps (including alternate app stores), I feel that there is currently no need to root the Fire. I'm actually impressed with how much I've been able to tweak and customize with the out-of-the-box functionality.

Having said that, I would not be surprised if Amazon releases firmware updates that will lock it down in the future... but until then (if it happens), it is very flexible... far more than the stock nook color and nook tablet are.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Only if it's going to br updated to 3.1, which I hope Amazon does it itself.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #12
weatherman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Having said that, I would not be surprised if Amazon releases firmware updates that will lock it down in the future...
Amazon has said they won't. They know (or should know) that there's no way to stop the rooting/hacking, so it's better just to embrace it, and to make a product that offers enough advantages that nobody feels the need to hack it.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I don't consider sideloading rooting either. I have no plans to root mine. I am very happy with the way it is. I love the battery life in the Fire. It's pretty amazing. I don't want to mess the dynamics Amazon has done to get it that way. I'm very careful with the apps that go on here.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #14
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Amazon has said they won't. They know (or should know) that there's no way to stop the rooting/hacking, so it's better just to embrace it, and to make a product that offers enough advantages that nobody feels the need to hack it.
Nothing is a guarantee, but I'm happy to hear that they're at least currently not going to lock it down further. So far, it seems to me that they've made a product that offers enough advantages to reduce (if not eliminate) the need to hack it.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Having said that, I would not be surprised if Amazon releases firmware updates that will lock it down in the future... but until then (if it happens), it is very flexible... far more than the stock nook color and nook tablet are.
I seriously doubt Amazon is going to lock it down. They know they would get flooded with complaints. When we all screamed bloody murder about combined email addresses on the Kindles in September. Amazon listened and gave us back our unique ones when the Fire came out so I don't think you have to worry about them pulling anymore major changes like that. They want to out sell NTab which isn't as easy to sideload apps on.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, kindle, root