Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
dm1839
dm1839 began at the beginning.

Device: none
ePub Validation Fail after Sigil edit

I have existing epub files (I didn't create) that I need to edit, which validate just fine as they are. When I go to edit them in Sigil (I open it through ePubFixer to keep the ToC) then resave and try to validate, I get errors:

ERROR: EqInVICs_v3_DMC.epub/OEBPS/toc.ncx(325): 'OEBPS/8-TOC.xhtml': referenced resource missing in the package
ERROR: EqInVICs_v3_DMC.epub/OEBPS/toc.ncx(331): 'OEBPS/9-part01.xhtml': referenced resource missing in the package
ERROR: EqInVICs_v3_DMC.epub/OEBPS/toc.ncx(337): 'OEBPS/12-chap01_1.xhtml': referenced resource missing in the package

And so on for every xml file listed in the Table of Contents. I'm not sure if this is a Sigil problem or an ePubFixer problem, but I can't figure out how to change this. Any help would be appreciated.

(running on Windows XP)
dm1839 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm1839 View Post
I have existing epub files (I didn't create) that I need to edit, which validate just fine as they are. When I go to edit them in Sigil (I open it through ePubFixer to keep the ToC) then resave and try to validate, I get errors:

ERROR: EqInVICs_v3_DMC.epub/OEBPS/toc.ncx(325): 'OEBPS/8-TOC.xhtml': referenced resource missing in the package
ERROR: EqInVICs_v3_DMC.epub/OEBPS/toc.ncx(331): 'OEBPS/9-part01.xhtml': referenced resource missing in the package
ERROR: EqInVICs_v3_DMC.epub/OEBPS/toc.ncx(337): 'OEBPS/12-chap01_1.xhtml': referenced resource missing in the package

And so on for every xml file listed in the Table of Contents. I'm not sure if this is a Sigil problem or an ePubFixer problem, but I can't figure out how to change this. Any help would be appreciated.

(running on Windows XP)
Sigil restructures the EPUB's it touches
All content above now resides in the Text folder
You pulled a switcher-roo with the un-updated NCX

Edit yor NCX and insert the Text/
OEBPS/Text/9-part01.xhtml
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 01:22 AM   #3
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

sounds like you are using 040ß3 or RC1
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:35 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Doesn't matter which version you use. Sigil will change the file structure to the standard, this was also the case in the old version. If the file structure is different in the original, it will generate a problem. I assume that the ePubFixer will extract the opf and/or ncx and afterwards reinsert them into the epub. if the filenames or locations have been changed, the opf and/or ncx are no longer correct and thus resulting in the errors like above.

The advise from theducks is sound. I would open the file in Sigil 0.4 and manually correct the ncx and/or opf there.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:02 AM   #5
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

It does matter. I've more then one book cluttered up by Sigil 040 with the same strange error messages and finally disappearing textfiles. Back to 034 and everything is ok, doing exactly the same things.

I'm using 034 again and never saw those error messages again.
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I never have seen those issues with 0.4. I have seen others, but not that. As long as I keep in mind that the ncx and opf are no longer automatically changed when I change the sequence, add/rename files and things like that, there is no issue. I can understand that strange issues arise when the ncx/opf are not either recreated or manually changed.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
dm1839
dm1839 began at the beginning.

Thanks, that advice worked perfectly! I knew it had to be something simple with some internal rearragements from Sigil (I'm using 0.3.4 btw).
dm1839 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Sorry to reply to such an old topic, but to clarify ePubFixer does not just extract the opf and ncx and replace them it will recreate the ncx by looking at the opf and update the paths.

If the file that was referenced was removed or renamed it cannot find it and just puts an empty source has the file. So it is suggested to open the TOC editor and resave it, has it will remove any invalid path.

This might also be an old version that had a bug. But just to let people know that it was not just replacing the ncx, it recreates it.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote