Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: How many eBooks do you keep on your reader?
I keep my entire library on my reader. 18 18.37%
I keep all unread books in my library on my reader. 8 8.16%
I keep a few unread books on my reader (not full unread library). 24 24.49%
I keep all unread and favorites/reference ebooks. 14 14.29%
I keep some unread and favorites/reference ebooks. 18 18.37%
The exact right answer isn't here (please post). 9 9.18%
I don't have time to answer this poll, I'm organizing my library. 1 1.02%
Other but I would store more if my reader had folder navigation 6 6.12%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
What do you store on your reader?

I'm just curious to see what most people store on their readers in the way of ebook management.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I posted that the exact right answer isn't here...

When I first got my reader, my plan was to keep a couple of unread books at a time on it, and then as they were read, I was going to remove them and replace them with unread ones.

That hasn't happened. I find that I'm keeping some, deleting others, putting a lot of unread books on, but not all...so it's a total mishmosh at the moment.

In the future, I'm going to try to organize better (I had a thread going about this, and I thank everyone for their suggestions), but knowing me, my reader will continue to look like the trunk of my car...full of odds and ends, useless and useful things, and no systematic method for keeping track of it all
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
That hasn't happened. I find that I'm keeping some, deleting others, putting a lot of unread books on, but not all...so it's a total mishmosh at the moment.
So this answer "I keep some unread and favories/reference ebooks." while close isn't exact?

BOb
Old 10-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Is there a way to edit the poll to fix the spelling errors? I can't see to figure it out. Could a moderator please correct it?

BOb
Old 10-09-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
>So this answer "I keep some unread and favories/reference ebooks." while close isn't exact?

Exactly......because I actually keep most unread, some read (not necessarily favorites, although there are some of those on there too), and some reference.
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do keep a lot of books on my 505. I have 84 eBooks on my 505 at present. I have a bunch more that is not on my 505. What I need to do is sort out my system so I can be more organized as far as my eBooks go. Then I can know better how many that are not on my reader I have to go that I have now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Know what... there was an option I forgot to put into the poll. (how do I edit it?)

I was going to put...

Other but I would store more if my reader had folder navigation.

BOb
Old 10-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
It depends on the storage availability and ease of conversion.

I used the Ebk1150 for a year and it had a hard limit of 128Mb with card and easy conversion both individual and bulk, so I would keep 80-100 or so books that I wanted to read/reread at the time.

When I moved to the 770 as my main reader and I have a 1Gb card I keep all my favorites and read books and add any new book of interest so I have easily 100+ books that I plan to read on it and hundreds read, all for about 7-800Mb memory so enough space for a while.

When I used the Sony for a while, I did not put a card so I used the internal memory only which was about 100 Mb also and put only new books to read - here the conversion seems a bit more cumbersome even with the superb Calibre, or just I all forgot about that after not needing conversions for my 770 for so long.

Now that I gave the Sony away, I still do some ebooks in lrf since I like to read in that format on my pc screen the best and with the new Sony 700 I may get one since it's getting closer to my needs
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I have loaded a small fraction of my hoard. More than a few hundred books screw up my PRS-500.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I always have a backup copy on my computer anyway, so I delete them when I am done reading.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #11
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'm attempting to duplicate my entire paper library in ebooks on my iLiad, including manga. I'm not quite there yet. I can't get to most of my actual books easily due to space constraints in my current house. I do keep backups on my computer, but I prefer to have everything on the iLiad so I can find a book and read it whenever and wherever I want.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I keep my entire library on my CyBook Gen3. Just because that way I find it easy to keep things organised. I even store some duplicates - unread books get put in their permanent position, and also in an "unread books" folder.

That way I can look through the unread books easily, but if I really want a particular book, I have them all sorted by author.

Counting duplicates, I have over 1600 books on there now. It does mean the CyBook takes a couple of minutes to start up, but since I keep it on all the time, that's not a problem. Once running, having that many books installed doesn't seem to slow things down at all.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm just curious to see what most people store on their readers in the way of ebook management.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:12 PM   #13
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
My library lives in 3 places in addition to the reader(s).

1 - The master file is on a 400G USB drive connected to my docking station in my house.
2 - Most of the books (everything except the Harvard Classics and the Baen CD images) are on a 120G USB drive that resides in my backpack when not in use.
3 - The most likely to be read books are on a 2G thumb drive that also lives in my backpack.

A while back, I put about 30 books on the Kindle and a half-dozen on the Sony reader. I've since downloaded some additional books directly to the Kindle either from Amazon.com or using one of the guides from MobileRead or Feedbooks. (Reminder to self -- copy those to the other media for backup!)

I have not installed the Sony software (though I do have calibre installed) and have not registered the Sony Reader with the Sony store. I also have not upgraded the Sony Reader with the latest update adding ePub support and the facility to delete books without connecting to the PC. As soon as I finish reading one of the books that was on the Reader, I'm going to register it and upgrade it.

After I finish reading a book on the Kindle, I don't delete it until I've backed up its .mbp file (which contains my highlighting & notes) to the hard drives. I know that Amazon says they'll keep that info on their servers and return it to me if I download the book again, but (1) I trust my own backups more than theirs, (2) not all my books came from Amazon in the first place and (3) I don't turn on the Whispernet antenna very often.

While I have SD cards to use with both readers, I have not attempted to load up the cards with the entire library -- just too much bother. I'm gladly accepting small SD cards from family members who are buying ones with more capacity for their digital camera.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:25 PM   #14
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
As it is, every ebook I have is kept on my device (it's not all that many, and is mostly unread stuff so far - a hell of a lot of MobileRead ebooks predominantly).

Ideally, I would like my entire library - including every book I've ever read, as well as ebook copies of the pbooks - stored on whatever device I am currently using. This would require better library management than I currently have.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #15
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Ideally, I would like my entire library - including every book I've ever read, as well as ebook copies of the pbooks - stored on whatever device I am currently using. This would require better library management than I currently have.
Yeah, Marc. I think that if there were better on-device management, I'd keep more books on my readers. I want to be able to mark the book as "read" or move it from an active directory to an archive directory. I want to be able to mark reading order in series and to be able to rank/prioritize my TBR books. I want to be able to rate a book as soon as I finish it. (Fortunately, with the Kindle, I can already mark passages for a review and can create short notes within the book.)

As it is, if I have too many books on the Kindle, I thrash around trying to figure out what I've got. Today I experienced this as I had finished a book yesterday and I couldn't find anything that grabbed my attention more than a paragraph or two. I actually spent some time reading the MobileRead MobiPocket Download Guide -- on the airplane, so I wasn't using it to download, just reading about books.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote